Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Rivian Automotive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nah, I think the run up right now is more about "The Next Tesla" than Rivian's actual upside. Pure FOMO more or less.

You are correct though, it's going to be years until Rivian posts a profit, and this is why I feel the fundamentals will reel the share price back down to more realistic levels soon, I'd guess by mid 2022 or so.

I'd never buy right now, I follow the theory of "be fearful when others are greedy" and right now pure greed is driving RIVN up. After it collapses, when fear of getting stuck bagholding drives it crashing down, THEN I'll think about possibly buying some for the long term.
I've noticed the WSB reddit bros are heavy on RIVN chatter....who knows what will happen if they decide RIVN is their next meme stock. :eek:

But Tesla's profits in Q3 already equalled those of VW in Q3 (with one growing output by 50-70% per year and the other one declining). But Rivian has virtually no sales and is years away from any profit. Even for the neutral observer the difference should be clear.

But Rivian is go to grow sales in infinite percentage this quarter. 🤡 a

Then it will grow sales over 100% quarter over quarter for the foreseeable future. 😁

Extrapolated over the next 10 years Rivian will have 100% Global GDP. 🤡 😁 🤡

I believe the Rivian CEO (or some c-level Rivian finance guy anyways) has publicly stated that they won't turn a profit no matter how many vehicles they sell until they can build another factory(s). So current investors know any profits are a long while off. Right now it's all about upside, not financials. Though they will want to show good progress with deliveries whenever they have their 1st earnings report.

Current capacity is 150k trucks( 65k passenger trucks/ 85k commercial trucks). They are expanding Normal Illinois facility to 200k trucks per year.

They have over 9k employees spread across Southern California, Northern California, Michigan, Illinois and the UK.

They are attempting to write their own autonomous software and install their own charging network.

That is a lot of overhead.

BTW IMO 1M units in 2030 isn't a stretch goal. It is a low bar Rivian is confident they can achieve.

Last edited:
There still isn't a single owner review or first look at a Rivian R1T anywhere on the internet as far as I can tell.

I don't think they are delivering trucks to non-employees yet, which seems hard to believe to me. Maybe they are still stuck at 1.5 trucks produced per day?

Reactions: KJD