Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Rivian Automotive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One more thing, the R3

1709837502406.png

View attachment 1025578

View attachment 1025579

View attachment 1025580

Same footprint as Model Y but 3" taller. Single, Dual and Triple motor configurations. All models over 300 miles of range. Base price $45k. Both rows of seats fold flat.
They've learned some. The price is listed as an estimated starting price. And no additional details on how much any of the options will cost, or what trim level gets what.

Seems light on details to be a "release". But then again we are almost 2 and half years away from deliveries, assuming they keep the current timeline.

The presentation seemed photocopied from a Tesla one a couple of years ago: structural battery pack made up of larger cells, lots of cameras doing vision-based auto-pilot. Glass roof. Charging network. Solar power. etc. That said, its a good plan, so no reason not to copy it. And its a good set of form factors (R2 and R3). Let's see if they can execute.

Reactions: buckets0fun
They've learned some. The price is listed as an estimated starting price. And no additional details on how much any of the options will cost, or what trim level gets what.

Seems light on details to be a "release". But then again we are almost 2 and half years away from deliveries, assuming they keep the current timeline.

It is a "reveal." Like Tesla, they have been bashed for not fulfilling "promises."

Prices for battery materials can skyrocket in 2 years.

So now they don't want to reveal set trims and specific prices.

Remember the 500 mile tri-motor Cybertruck for $70k.

Reactions: KJD
So is this good or bad? Seems like they will save money, but I don't know if they needed that plant...

Oh geez. Rivian sure likes to make mistakes don’t they?

So, yes, I think this is a good move, but it was a frigging obvious move three years ago (or whenever) when they announced their Georgia plant, which was a horrible decision. OBVIOUSLY their Normal plant, which I think has room for 175K vehicles per year, was never going to be fully utilized with $100K EVs. If Tesla could never sell that many per year, Rivian sure wasn’t going to come close.

So I’m glad they sucked it up and came to their senses. Hopefully they won’t continue to make these giant strategic mistakes going forward, but with the same guy in charge, who knows.