Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Rivian Automotive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
RJ seems to have mind fumbles, not perfect for running a busines,s coming from the engineering side
Henrick/Fisker seems to have mind fumbles, again, not perfect for running a business, coming from the design side
boy did we love Tesla Inc. Chief Financial Officer Zachary Kirkhorn
Zach was our rock star when paired with Elon, Zach was a total genius for running a business, coming from the business side
Tesla needs Zach back....

Reactions: ggies07
Rivian is getting ready to bring in the masses with the affordable R3. Doing what Musk promised to do but failed…..

Speaking of allowing others the spotlight. Have you noticed that if someone outshines Musk during a presentation they are never seen again?

Let me see if I'm getting it right, Tesla compact will likely start deliveries 2025 or start of 2026

Rivian will start at low volume in Normal, likely higher end trims that will cost way more than the $45k said, and also at best start of 2026, and we were given no timeframe for R3, which will likely be build in Georgia when the factory is done who knows when now that they paused it. Tesla has sub $45k vehicles being delivered to customers in enormous volumes right now

But somehow Tesla is doomed?

And no, I haven't, some executives have outshined him for a long time in events, etc and are seen time and time again, on presentations, interviews, engaging with customers and fans on X, doing lives and so on

Did I forget anything?

Rivian is getting ready to bring in the masses with the affordable R3. Doing what Musk promised to do but failed…..
???
R3 is a year behind R2 at some price lower than R2.
R2 is projected to costs more than Model Y.
So your claim is that when 2027 rolls around R3 will cost less than a Model 3 at $39k today? And that it will be over $6k or 13% less than the R3?

Ignoring the lower price vehicle Tesla will have released by then...

Let me see if I'm getting it right, Tesla compact will likely start deliveries 2025 or start of 2026

Rivian will start at low volume in Normal, likely higher end trims that will cost way more than the $45k said, and also at best start of 2026, and we were given no timeframe for R3, which will likely be build in Georgia when the factory is done who knows when now that they paused it. Tesla has sub $45k vehicles being delivered to customers in enormous volumes right now

But somehow Tesla is doomed?

And no, I haven't, some executives have outshined him for a long time in events, etc and are seen time and time again, on presentations, interviews, engaging with customers and fans on X, doing lives and so on

Did I forget anything?

Who said Tesla is "doomed"?

You do know Tesla has a next gen compact EV coming out late next year, right? Which do you think will be the more affordable EV, the Tesla Gen3 vehicle or the Rivian R3?

If Tesla comes out with the same Beluga Whale design no one will care except Tesla stock holders. Considering the Compact Tesla will be built in China, I'll take the Rivian and $7500 Fed Credit.

guys, ask your female relationships, not making it a thing but its real, my wife does not like the Rivian look, she is an ex Highlander, Model Y fan
she drives our MY daily
point is, I don't think the R2 competes with the MY, they are different
MY is highlander ish, SUV
R2 is vs 4runner, Explorer, etc

I think the R2 look is not for the middle mainstream, as the MY is the number one vehicle globally, its the mainstream
R2 is off that base for the smaller more affordable truck buyer

Im an ex larger truck person, owned 4x Toy Landcruisers over the years, the R1S would be my matching interest
if I was a 4runner person, the R2 would resonate for me
again, highlander person, MY

lets not compare MY to the R2

now for R3, cheap box, in this space the M2 will compete, but beat it on price

Reactions: T3SLAROD
???
R3 is a year behind R2 at some price lower than R2.
R2 is projected to costs more than Model Y.
So your claim is that when 2027 rolls around R3 will cost less than a Model 3 at $39k today? And that it will be over $6k or 13% less than the R3?

Ignoring the lower price vehicle Tesla will have released by then...

$45k- $7500 = $37500.......so ....yes?

• Funny
Reactions: Krugerrand
guys, ask your female relationships, not making it a thing but its real, my wife does not like the Rivian look, she is an ex Highlander, Model Y fan
she drives our MY daily
point is, I don't think the R2 competes with the MY, they are different
MY is highlander ish, SUV
R2 is vs 4runner, Explorer, etc

I think the R2 look is not for the middle mainstream, as the MY is the number one vehicle globally, its the mainstream
R2 is off that base for the smaller more affordable truck buyer

Im an ex larger truck person, owned 4x Toy Landcruisers over the years, the R1S would be my matching interest
if I was a 4runner person, the R2 would resonate for me
again, highlander person, MY

lets not compare MY to the R2

now for R3, cheap box, in this space the M2 will compete, but beat it on price

Agreed. The MY is dated and not more for the soccer Moms of the world. R2 has that classic look that people still pay top dollar for in 4runners, land rovers, Lexus.

Its funny you call the R3 a "cheap box" when the interior alone blows anything Tesla makes away that isn't the S or X.......

Last edited:
Well, seems that Rivian can indeed continue to make obvious mistakes. For no reason whatsoever (that has been articulated), they decided to move the charge port to passenger rear for R2. This will make it hard to charge at half busy Tesla Superchargers. Sure v4 SCs will have longer cables, but 15,000 V3 stations will not, and that’ll still be the majority station in two years.