Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Discussion re: Tesla Motors Website & Forums

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Teslamotors.com forum has been down for days. When the forum is down there should be a redirect to a page stating that the forum is down for update and should try again on such and such a date. Instead it is simply redirected to the teslamotors.com index page.

I suspect something went terribly wrong and possibly the message data base got corrupted somehow. If anyone associated with tesla forums is reading this please put an update page for the redirect.

It's down for a few days, likely for them to switch to real forum software.
I love my S, but I'm at a total loss for words about Tesla's software culture. Any organization beyond some high school kids would have set their web site up off line, then uploaded the whole thing overnight.

Personally, I don't care about their site, but this is pretty damning about their expertise.

I love my S, but I'm at a total loss for words about Tesla's software culture. Any organization beyond some high school kids would have set their web site up off line, then uploaded the whole thing overnight.

Personally, I don't care about their site, but this is pretty damning about their expertise.

Having done this before, I can say that the problem of transitioning 10's of thousands of posts from one DB structure to another is far from trivial and much more expensive if you are trying to keep up with people still posting in the old system.

Of course, this is just educated speculation about why their forums are still down.

But honestly, why anyone would use the tesla forums known TMC is around, I do not know...

@pvogel
The TM forums is pretty easy to navigate. All threads are in same place, no complicated classifications. Signatures etc take up screen space and requires more scrolling on TMC to read the posts. Also, the freedom on that forum makes it more fun. I joined TMC during X launch days, but I felt that TMC was inclined towards criticising Tesla. It's much better these days.

@pvogel
The TM forums is pretty easy to navigate. All threads are in same place, no complicated classifications. Signatures etc take up screen space and requires more scrolling on TMC to read the posts. Also, the freedom on that forum makes it more fun. I joined TMC during X launch days, but I felt that TMC was inclined towards criticising Tesla. It's much better these days.

Ugh, it's the worst forum software ever. Signal to noise ratio asymptotically approaches zero. The biggest flaw is there is absolutely no way to follow a discussion or be notified of replies unless you go back and hunt down all the threads you're participating in. Having no categories means that there is no way to parcel out similar conversations/topics.

Ugh, it's the worst forum software ever. Signal to noise ratio asymptotically approaches zero. The biggest flaw is there is absolutely no way to follow a discussion or be notified of replies unless you go back and hunt down all the threads you're participating in. Having no categories means that there is no way to parcel out similar conversations/topics.
Agreed. Their software is horrific. I peruse there only on occasion for alternate points of view or information that may or may not be posted on TMC. Often, I find the same people on both forums posting duplicate threads.

@TexasEV,
It would be no great loss, as you say, except that Tesla managers sometimes read that forum. Once I posted that my charging cable was getting very hot and the service manager from costa mesa called me and told me that he's sending someone over right away to change it. He did. If Tesla managers read this forum then there is no need for the other one, as you say it would be no great loss.

- - - Updated - - -

@TexasEV,
It would be no great loss, as you say, except that Tesla managers sometimes read that forum. Once I posted that my charging cable was getting very hot and the service manager from costa mesa called me and told me that he's sending someone over right away to change it. He did. If Tesla managers read this forum then there is no need for the other one, as you say it would be no great loss.

@TexasEV,

Tesla people also read this forum. I've had two TM employees contact me from posts I've made here on two different issues.

edit: Oops, actually three times.

Tesla people also read this forum. I've had two TM employees contact me from posts I've made here on two different issues.

I've heard from Tesla a few times when I've posted things critical about Tesla or some of its policies. I can't imagine they are too happy with some of my recent ramblings, but I do it out of love. Hopefully I won't get "banned" or "blacklisted" for expressing my opinions. Thank goodness I'm a nobody to Elon lol.

Last edited:
I've heard from Tesla a few times when I've posted things critical about Tesla or some of its policies. I can't imagine they are too happy with some of my recent ramblings, but I do it out of love. Hopefully I won't get "banned" or "blacklisted" for expressing my opinions. Thank goodness I'm a nobody to Elon lol.
I would be devastated AR if you were banned. That is why it is always important to use a little honey with the vinegar. I loved your recent posts, not because TM is a bad company, but because they have so much more potential with their software than they have shown.

Having done this before, I can say that the problem of transitioning 10's of thousands of posts from one DB structure to another is far from trivial and much more expensive if you are trying to keep up with people still posting in the old system.

Of course, this is just educated speculation about why their forums are still down.

But honestly, why anyone would use the tesla forums known TMC is around, I do not know...

As a developer, you frequently run into problems going live you didn't find when testing. It's quite possible they did a test cut over from one forum package to another and had it working, but then when they tried to convert the real forum, they ran into problems. They could probably convert the forum itself using a recent backup, but something else might have gone wrong that resulted in a longer outage than expected.

They should still have a link up that leads to a page saying something like "Down for maintenance" (with a picture of a supercharger under construction or their gigafactory being built). Instead, they have nothing, zilch, nada. It looks like they just took the forum away.

I know that the Tesla Forum is down for maintenance, but ...

How hard would it have been to have the "Forum" link display a page that said "undergoing maintenance, will be back 'shortly'." and then redirect us to the main page?
Or simply change the forum link to say Forums - not available at this time?

Many didn't see that short warning that it was going down.

I'll give them a rating of "Poor form, old chap".