TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

All Glass Panorama-itis

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by buttershrimp, Jul 18, 2017.

1. buttershrimp

buttershrimp Member

Of all the things I wish for the interior of my model S, it's that tesla develop a nice looking auto-retractable sunshade for the all glass roof. It seems like the only possibility would be doing something equivalent to the S Class magic sunroof.

It seems unlikely to be added as an option unfortunately since Tesla is trying so hard to simplify their cars, e.g. lack of ventilated seats, HUD, and active damping.

As competition from other car manufacturers ramps up, where do you foresee Tesla beginning to re-introduce more complexity into their vehicles (other than autopilot)?

• Like x 1
  2. David29

David29 Member

And while they are doping that, perhaps they can adapt the design to the panoramic sunroof as well. ;-)
    But I fear this is no thigh on Tesla's priority list...

3. buttershrimp

buttershrimp Member

Magic glass... so very needed... would be the ultimate functional party trick...

4. ada43952

ada43952 Member

So, my CPO has the all glass panoramic roof; how bad is it on a sunny day at high noon? Are there any aftermarket sun screens?

Thanks,

5. bakerboy

bakerboy Member

Its not too bad, you can do what I did and add a "tint" that has no tint (70% or clear) that will block additional UV rays.

• Like x 1
  6. ada43952

ada43952 Member

That's a great idea! I was already going to get the other windows tinted and I don't think I'd be a big fan of those sun shades; an additional tint might be what I do! Thanks

7. Silverstreak

Silverstreak Member

Works to cut heat from front window too

8. DIL

DIL Supporting Member

I'm disappointed that Tesla expects us all to be sun worshipers. It's becoming a deal killer for me. And yes, I've sat in cars with both types of roofs, and they do get much too hot IMHO.

9. Sawyer8888

Sawyer8888 Member

Three months ago I drove 4+ hours in a MS85 loaner with a glass roof on a very hot and sunny day. Sweat dripped from my forehead and it was sunburnt shortly after. I am sure some quality UV-rated tint would have helped, but I am glad I was able to order a non-glass roof while they were still available.

I am sure there are aftermarket sunscreens to block the sun, or at least provide a little more shade than just a layer of tint.

10. Silverstreak

Silverstreak Member

I'm not a sun worshiper either anymore. I think the tint helps a lot with UV light and heat. That is what I am doing to mitigate both because I like the car that much.

11. energy7

energy7 Member

I purchased an aftermarket sunshade on Amazon. It came with two mesh screens that easily snap in place. I only put in the one for the glass above the driver/passenger. I'm loving it so far, works great even with the sunroof fully open. Folds up for storage as well.

12. buttershrimp

buttershrimp Member

I have auto sunshade for the all glass panoramic roof, and it is a drastic reduction in heat in texas because it's reflective and insulated like a regular dash uv blocker... but what really sucks trying to pry the suction cups off since it comes in two pieces...

Surely there has to be a non-lame creative solution out there...

13. energy7

energy7 Member

Mine doesn't use suction cups, rather it just snaps in around the edges. Elegant and clean and allows the sunroof to open. I bought it on Amazon and it's called "Topfit Sunroof Sunshade for Tesla Model S 2012-2017 Version (2 of Set)."

14. buttershrimp

buttershrimp Member

Yes but I don't think they make one for the all glass roof correct?

15. energy7

energy7 Member

ah, that's a good question. I'm not sure as I have the sunroof, not all glass.

16. SucreTease

SucreTease Member

17. buttershrimp

buttershrimp Member

Hey everyone... being such a valued owner with 8000 miles on my S.... Tesla was clearly monitoring my forum and heard my concerns since they promptly designed fabricated an all glass sunroof pop in shade that is now available on the tesla shop store... I just ordered it.

Ah... it's so nice to have such sway with Elon. Always hearing my concerns... especially when I complain of glare in my eyes. :)

18. UBQP

UBQP Member

That shade is for the panoramic roof, not the all-glass, right?

19. buttershrimp

buttershrimp Member

It's for the all glass roof... I can't keep these panoramic and all glass straight! The new shade on the shop is for the all glass roof!

20. rolling18

rolling18 Member

the NON-GLASS roof also add benefit in heat/ cooling insulation as well as Acoustic / and rigidity to the car. (I wish I had got solid roof)