Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Glass Panorama-itis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

buttershrimp

Click my signature to Go Mad Max Mode
Supporting Member
Jun 17, 2017
ATX
Of all the things I wish for the interior of my model S, it's that tesla develop a nice looking auto-retractable sunshade for the all glass roof. It seems like the only possibility would be doing something equivalent to the S Class magic sunroof.

It seems unlikely to be added as an option unfortunately since Tesla is trying so hard to simplify their cars, e.g. lack of ventilated seats, HUD, and active damping.

As competition from other car manufacturers ramps up, where do you foresee Tesla beginning to re-introduce more complexity into their vehicles (other than autopilot)?

Reactions: DIL
Of all the things I wish for the interior of my model S, it's that tesla develop a nice looking auto-retractable sunshade for the all glass roof. It seems like the only possibility would be doing something equivalent to the S Class magic sunroof.

It seems unlikely to be added as an option unfortunately since Tesla is trying so hard to simplify their cars, e.g. lack of ventilated seats, HUD, and active damping.

As competition from other car manufacturers ramps up, where do you foresee Tesla beginning to re-introduce more complexity into their vehicles (other than autopilot)?

And while they are doping that, perhaps they can adapt the design to the panoramic sunroof as well. ;-)
But I fear this is no thigh on Tesla's priority list...

So, my CPO has the all glass panoramic roof; how bad is it on a sunny day at high noon? Are there any aftermarket sun screens?

Thanks,

Three months ago I drove 4+ hours in a MS85 loaner with a glass roof on a very hot and sunny day. Sweat dripped from my forehead and it was sunburnt shortly after. I am sure some quality UV-rated tint would have helped, but I am glad I was able to order a non-glass roof while they were still available.

I am sure there are aftermarket sunscreens to block the sun, or at least provide a little more shade than just a layer of tint.

I'm disappointed that Tesla expects us all to be sun worshipers. It's becoming a deal killer for me. And yes, I've sat in cars with both types of roofs, and they do get much too hot IMHO.
I'm not a sun worshiper either anymore. I think the tint helps a lot with UV light and heat. That is what I am doing to mitigate both because I like the car that much.

So, my CPO has the all glass panoramic roof; how bad is it on a sunny day at high noon? Are there any aftermarket sun screens?

Thanks,
I purchased an aftermarket sunshade on Amazon. It came with two mesh screens that easily snap in place. I only put in the one for the glass above the driver/passenger. I'm loving it so far, works great even with the sunroof fully open. Folds up for storage as well.

I purchased an aftermarket sunshade on Amazon. It came with two mesh screens that easily snap in place. I only put in the one for the glass above the driver/passenger. I'm loving it so far, works great even with the sunroof fully open. Folds up for storage as well.

I have auto sunshade for the all glass panoramic roof, and it is a drastic reduction in heat in texas because it's reflective and insulated like a regular dash uv blocker... but what really sucks trying to pry the suction cups off since it comes in two pieces...

Surely there has to be a non-lame creative solution out there...

I have auto sunshade for the all glass panoramic roof, and it is a drastic reduction in heat in texas because it's reflective and insulated like a regular dash uv blocker... but what really sucks trying to pry the suction cups off since it comes in two pieces...

Surely there has to be a non-lame creative solution out there...

Mine doesn't use suction cups, rather it just snaps in around the edges. Elegant and clean and allows the sunroof to open. I bought it on Amazon and it's called "Topfit Sunroof Sunshade for Tesla Model S 2012-2017 Version (2 of Set)."

Mine doesn't use suction cups, rather it just snaps in around the edges. Elegant and clean and allows the sunroof to open. I bought it on Amazon and it's called "Topfit Sunroof Sunshade for Tesla Model S 2012-2017 Version (2 of Set)."

Yes but I don't think they make one for the all glass roof correct?

Hey everyone... being such a valued owner with 8000 miles on my S.... Tesla was clearly monitoring my forum and heard my concerns since they promptly designed fabricated an all glass sunroof pop in shade that is now available on the tesla shop store... I just ordered it.

Ah... it's so nice to have such sway with Elon. Always hearing my concerns... especially when I complain of glare in my eyes. :)

Hey everyone... being such a valued owner with 8000 miles on my S.... Tesla was clearly monitoring my forum and heard my concerns since they promptly designed fabricated an all glass sunroof pop in shade that is now available on the tesla shop store... I just ordered it.

Ah... it's so nice to have such sway with Elon. Always hearing my concerns... especially when I complain of glare in my eyes. :)
That shade is for the panoramic roof, not the all-glass, right?

Three months ago I drove 4+ hours in a MS85 loaner with a glass roof on a very hot and sunny day. Sweat dripped from my forehead and it was sunburnt shortly after. I am sure some quality UV-rated tint would have helped, but I am glad I was able to order a non-glass roof while they were still available.

I am sure there are aftermarket sunscreens to block the sun, or at least provide a little more shade than just a layer of tint.

the NON-GLASS roof also add benefit in heat/ cooling insulation as well as Acoustic / and rigidity to the car. (I wish I had got solid roof)