Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All LR motors are the same- MR one is NOT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Knightshade

Jul 31, 2017
NC
Rear drive unit assembly here-
https://epc.teslamotors.com/#/systemGroups/47412

There's only one rear drive unit... no special RWD vs AWD vs P units.

It also notes-
Tesla said:
Only for VINs with 75 kWh (E3) battery pack,

Which strongly suggests MR has a different motor in it (shared with SR one would assume based on the 0-60 spec) but they haven't added it to the public parts catalog yet since it's brand new.

And for the curious- there's only one front drive unit too.... AWD=P other than software.
https://epc.teslamotors.com/#/systemGroups/47386

Tesla said:
ASY,3DU, Front DU, IGBT-HC

For all AWD M3 cars. Only to use as Front DU

(bold added)

And while on the topic...

https://epc.teslamotors.com/#/systemGroups/47401

RWD, AWD, and P all have different front coil/spring assemblies

RWD has 3 different ones- Dec 17, 2017 cutoff date, June 19 2018 cutoff date, and everything built since June 19

AWD non-P and P have their own but only a single date (all every built so far)

For the rear RWD only has 2 different ones, with Dec 17 2017 cutoff date

AWD non-P and P have their own but only a single date (all ever built so far)

https://epc.teslamotors.com/#/systemGroups/47400

The catalog gives no info on WHAT the differences are precisely though

Oh, and the third thing I've seen everyone wondering- sway bars

https://epc.teslamotors.com/#/systemGroups/47406

Looks like 2 different front bars- I THINK one is RWD and the bigger one is AWD but it's not clear because they list 3 different option codes the bigger bar applies to- so I'd THINK that is AWD, P- and P+ but not sure.

Only 1 mm difference though

Rear bar is stranger-
https://epc.teslamotors.com/#/systemGroups/47403

There's still only 2... but the second one doesn't give its size and says "For AWD, Non-performance Vehicles"

So either the P gets the same bar as RWD or...actually can't think of an Or here...

Tesla said from day one that P motors were Eve same, but they were binned based on burn in and testing. Whatever that means.

Yes, but people kept insisting there MUST BE more to it.

There's clearly not.

Further- with only 1 PN for the drive unit, it means if your P3D++++LOLBBQ car has a failed drive unit you're getting the same replacement part a regular non-P owner (with a LR battery) is getting.

Which suggests the binning found they're all just fine for all models.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA and Jedi2155
And while on the topic...

RWD has 3 different ones- Dec 17, 2017 cutoff date, June 19 2018 cutoff date, and everything built since June 19

For the rear RWD only has 2 different ones, with Dec 17 2017 cutoff date

This is confusing, first statement says, 3 different parts for RWD, and 2nd statement says 2 different parts for RWD.
Which is correct? also what is changed after Jun 19th for springs for RWD?

Thanks

Nice find, but it is confirmed that different P+ cars have different rear springs. It looks like they listed the springs I have, which sit too high, but there are others with correct ride height and a different part number not listed in that catalog.

This is confusing, first statement says, 3 different parts for RWD, and 2nd statement says 2 different parts for RWD.
Which is correct? also what is changed after Jun 19th for springs for RWD?

Thanks

Both are correct. One is talking about the front springs, the other about the rear springs.

RWD has 3 different sets of fronts, 2 different sets of rears.

Dec 17 they changed front and back for RWD.- this was the very noticeable reduction in ride harshness observed.

June this year they changed front only for RWD (unknown why)

Uh, looks like they have changed the catalog. Nothing on the Rear DU obviously denotes the LR pack anymore.

Yeah, this came up in another thread- they removed a LOT of details 3 or 4 days ago... when it happened they'd actually added a SECOND rear DU- which appeared to be the one for the MR/SR battery.

The "regular" LR one was labeled DU MOSFETT, the MR/SR one was labeled DU IGBT.

The IGBT one looks like it was removed again though.

Oh wow, that is a HUGE find IMO. IGBT's are much older tech (that's tried and true) with lower performance than Silicon Carbide. I suspect its also much cheaper. I suspect the motor is built similarly but the inverter is definitely going to be the power limiting factor. I've seen my fair share of blown IGBTs in my day....

There have been changes since this morning. There is only one rear DU listed now....looks like the whole thing is a living document right now so just because it says or doesn't say something doesn't really say or not say anything.

I think anything it has said is accurate- they just seem to have decided (at least twice now) that they said "too much" about some things and removed info.

I think anything it has said is accurate- they just seem to have decided (at least twice now) that they said "too much" about some things and removed info.

So it listing two DU's was "accurate" and now it only listing one DU is also "accurate". Either way, I don't think people can necessarily and accurately say certain things as long as the reference information is changing that drastically.

So it listing two DU's was "accurate" and now it only listing one DU is also "accurate".

Yes.

When it listed the LR unit and the SR/MR unit that was accurate as the part that went in each type of vehicle.

When it briefly stopped listing the SR/MR one the LR one remained accurate (they didn't magically just use LR DUs in SR/MR cars)

And as you note- the SR/MR one is back now. Other than that brief glitch the the only thing that has really gone "missing" is the more descriptive text making it clearer which car each part went in that used to be there.

Either way, I don't think people can necessarily and accurately say certain things as long as the reference information is changing that drastically.

They can in many cases though. Because the LR DU when it had the long description made it clear it was the same unit for all LR cars.

The fact the SR/MR one vanished briefly doesn't change the fact the LR one had been clearly marked as going in all LR Model 3s.

So it's not like that part said "DU for non P cars" and they just left out the P one from the catalog. There is no P one. Which was a major point of debate for a long time on here.