Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All US Cars capable of FSD will be enabled for one month trial this week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We received the update with FSD yesterday, together with the option of activating it with a monthly subscription, but no option that I could see for a free trial. I am in Canada and my experience seems different that what at least one other person in Canada has posted on this thread: i.e., they seemed to have received a free trial, but no offer for a monthly subscription, just full purchase price. I am not sure what Tesla is doing in this regard in Canada.

Anyway, based on what I am reading, FSD is much improved, but it is still not ready - at least not for my purposes. There are still too many glitches and the driver must always stand by to intervene. For me - based on my experiments with earlier versions - the stress and work of monitoring it constantly so that I would be able to intervene at a moment's notice would be greater than the stress and work of driving. Further, I am not sure that my reaction time when intervening in this way would be fast enough to avoid an accident. Quickly switching from inactive to active mode is not a strong point for me, so I would definitely worry about safety. FSD is going have to achieve one or two levels higher of autonomy before I will consider it.

A brief update. I received a message from Tesla that my free trial has started and I was able to activate the FSD that had been pushed to me in the previous update. Despite my views on FSD as noted in my earlier message above, I decided to give it a try.

Tesla FSD v12 is impressive, but at the same time I can confirm my advance impression (based on the evaluations that I had read online) that it has notable glitches, requires frequent interventions, and is not something that I would pay for or use in its current state. In about 20 minutes of urban driving I had to intervene (often very quickly) six times, including twice to avoid what I saw as likely collisions with roadside hazards that the FSD apparently did not see or misjudged and twice when it just randomly disengaged when becoming confused by traffic and roadway situations. When, if ever, Tesla FSD is further advanced and achieves Level 3 capability, I may consider if it is something that I might pay for and use.

That said, after my experience today, I wonder how any FSD, at Level 3 or even higher, will be able to handle certain situations, notably those that include quick interactions with other persons on the street such as another driver waving you on to even though their car has the right on way or a quick visual interaction with a pedestrian as to whether they might quickly cross the street ahead of your car (in very slow urban traffic but where the car has the right of way) or wait for your car to go by. Both of those particular examples happened in my 20 minute experiment and are an utterly normal part of urban driving.

FSD today did not know how to handle those situations. When the other driver waved me on the Tesla, of course, did not see that and just sat there waiting for the other car to proceed. I did not intervene in that situation and the other driver became exasperated and eventually just went ahead.

With the pedestrian, the FSD, to its credit, recognized the possibility that the pedestrian might suddenly cross in front of the car, and slowed down and then stopped entirely. But the pedestrian did not know if my car was necessarily going to let him pass and he paused. The FSD then wondered the car should proceed and started to inch forward. But then the pedestrian thought he would be able to make it due to the very slow speed of the vehicle and moved ahead, but then stopped just before entering the path of the car and looked to me for a visual signal. The Tesla hesitated. I thought that I should send a clear signal and intervened by hitting the brake and nodded to the pedestrian to cross, which he did.

How will those situations be handled with future unsupervised FSD at Level 3 or higher? And I emphasize again these situations and analogous ones are a normal part of city driving, happening on a regular basis even on a short drive.

Last edited:
A brief update. I received a message from Tesla that my free trial has started and I was able to activate the FSD that had been pushed to me in the previous update. Despite my views on FSD as noted in my earlier message above, I decided to give it a try.

Tesla FSD v12 is impressive, but at the same time I can confirm my advance impression (based on the evaluations that I had read online) that it has notable glitches, requires frequent interventions, and is not something that I would pay for or use in its current state. In about 20 minutes of urban driving I had to intervene (often very quickly) six times, including twice to avoid what I saw as likely collisions with roadside hazards that the FSD apparently did not see or misjudged and twice when it just randomly disengaged when becoming confused by traffic and roadway situations. When, if ever, Tesla FSD is further advanced and achieves Level 3 capability, I may consider if it is something that I might pay for and use.

That said, after my experience today, I wonder how any FSD, at Level 3 or even higher, will be able to handle certain situations, notably those that include quick interactions with other persons on the street such as another driver waving you on to even though their car has the right on way or a quick visual interaction with a pedestrian as to whether they might quickly cross the street ahead of your car (in very slow urban traffic but where the car has the right of way) or wait for your car to go by. Both of those particular examples happened in my 20 minute experiment and are an utterly normal part of urban driving.

FSD today did not know how to handle those situations. When the other driver waved me on the Tesla, of course, did not see that and just sat there waiting for the other car to proceed. I did not intervene in that situation and the other driver became exasperated and eventually just went ahead.

With the pedestrian, the FSD, to its credit, recognized the possibility that the pedestrian might suddenly cross in front of the car, and slowed down and then stopped entirely. But the pedestrian did not know if my car was necessarily going to let him pass and he paused. The FSD then wondered the car should proceed and started to inch forward. But then the pedestrian thought he would be able to make it due to the very slow speed of the vehicle and moved ahead, but then stopped just before entering the path of the car and looked to me for a visual signal. The Tesla hesitated. I thought that I should send a clear signal and intervened by hitting the brake and nodded to the pedestrian to cross, which he did.

How will those situations be handled with future unsupervised FSD at Level 3 or higher? And I emphasize again these situations and analogous ones are a normal part of city driving, happening on a regular basis even on a short drive.

You cite every day experiences that human drivers experience. If FSD were more human, then a waiting pedestrian and a driver waving you on would be handled with aplomb. Not knowing how FSD is reacting to these scenarios is an unsafe situation and a distraction to the driver.

Being trained with billions of miles of video hardly makes FSD safe or more human. I'm not sure I want an FSD to drive more like a human given the humans I've seen ignore stop signs, weave in traffic, or speed through neighborhoods.

I'm not sure I want an FSD to drive more like a human given the humans I've seen ignore stop signs, weave in traffic, or speed through neighborhoods.
And ... more than half of all drivers don't know how to use turn signals. Some humans stop two car lengths behind the car or stop light then creep forward inch by inch while waiting for the light to change. Many humans swing wide, crossing the line, when making turns. Other humans lolly gag when switching lanes and sometimes never complete the lane change. Other humans inch forward from a cross street making you think they will dart out before the way is clear (FSDS has done this too). I'm a human who has mistakenly activated the wrong turn signal in my Tesla, but no more because I've learned to get the right one now.

Last edited:
Reactions: gtae07 and JDOhio
Mkay. It’s Saturday 20APR, 2022 MYLR still no v12 Supervised FSD free trial, no update, nothing. Maybe tomorrow but I doubt it.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I ran some errands this morning (MYP on 2024.8.9), hoping for an update to pop up when WiFi connected. Nothing. Oh well…. Maybe because Mr. Patel left / got laid off?

@paulchouThere was a minor technical snag porting v12 to one of the firmware branches. Not a big deal and certainly not the end of the friggin' world as some have portrayed.

I've worked in software for many year. Tesla getting these changes done so quickly in mission critical software where lives and the company's reputation are on the line is absolutely amazing.
So, been three weeks and the "minor technical snag" is still not resolved and a huge set of cars don't have FSD. Wonder how long before it's not amazing how quick Tesla is?

Price cuts on FSD for sure tell us how Tesla is very sure of themselves and how valuable FSD is and that it just needs more data ASAP, not that they need revenue this quarter. Just like all the previous FSD fire sales. This one is the one though.

So, been three weeks and the "minor technical snag" is still not resolved and a huge set of cars don't have FSD. Wonder how long before it's not amazing how quick Tesla is?

Price cuts on FSD for sure tell us how Tesla is very sure of themselves and how valuable FSD is and that it just needs more data ASAP, not that they need revenue this quarter. Just like all the previous FSD fire sales. This one is the one though.
Company wants to maximize profits... Shocking news more at 11

Reactions: zoomer0056
Company wants to maximize profits... Shocking news more at 11
I agree like I've been saying for weeks. To be clear though: short term cash flow. Not "profits". If FSD is about to be real and amazing and worth $100k like Elon always said, then a fire sale doesn't look to be a smart long term profit move. It looks like a company that needs cash in Q2 2024.

But we have some very strong opinions here that all this like the free trial and the delay in the free trial is 4D chess because what Tesla needs is data, and it's impressive how fast they are rolling out non-safety software, and any delay is actually a good thing, and there is no way the free trial and price slashing is about cash flow.

I agree like I've been saying for weeks. To be clear though: short term cash flow. Not "profits". If FSD is about to be real and amazing and worth $100k like Elon always said, then a fire sale doesn't look to be a smart long term profit move. It looks like a company that needs cash in Q2 2024.

But we have some very strong opinions here that all this like the free trial and the delay in the free trial is 4D chess because what Tesla needs is data, and it's impressive how fast they are rolling out non-safety software, and any delay is actually a good thing, and there is no way the free trial and price slashing is about cash flow.
We get it you're mad you still don't have a robotaxi get over it

Reactions: Scott in FC
We get it you're mad you still don't have a robotaxi get over it
I'm actually here because I don't yet have the "impressively quick fix for the minor technical snag" and I'm wondering what the current rationale for that is from those who have have made arguments for the delay before.

It's a good thing you're not a Tesla lawyer however, nothing like the world's most valuable car company making promises to customers and taking money for it and then telling people to "get over it". Really shows off those core values.

I'm actually here because I don't yet have the "impressively quick fix for the minor technical snag" and I'm wondering what the current rationale for that is from those who have have made arguments for the delay before.

It's a good thing you're not a Tesla lawyer however, nothing like the world's most valuable car company making promises to customers and taking money for it and then telling people to "get over it". Really shows off those core values.
Call me skeptical but I don't see you as someone hailing FSD as soon as you get the trial

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I ran some errands this morning (MYP on 2024.8.9), hoping for an update to pop up when WiFi connected. Nothing. Oh well…. Maybe because Mr. Patel left / got laid off?
Sunday 4/21, still no v12 FSD supervised. Again, my guess is Musk meant to say all new sales, but since he said “everyone” they had to deploy to whomever they could. Leaving a chunk ineligible. I guess the better question is if we get into May or June, will we still get a free 30 days? I’ve got 14,000 reasons why this “everyone” gets v12 won’t happen soon or free but I will post and be pleasantly surprised if it does.