TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Alloy Wheel Refurb - London

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by chalmc80, Dec 17, 2016.

1. chalmc80

chalmc80 Member

Can anyone recommend a place in London to get one of my allow wheels refurbished? Scraped a curb avoiding someone coming into my lane left a 6 inch rash round the rim.

2. Omalleym

Omalleym Member

Have you contacted Tesla themselves? I live in London and scraped the rear wheel after one day. I took photos and they charged 93.60 including picking up my car and providing a loan car for a day. Awesome service.

3. chalmc80

chalmc80 Member

Not yet I didn't think they would do somethig like that. I have some other work needng done since picking up the car Ill see if they can do this at the same time. Any chance you still have a picture to compare to mine for that price?

4. Omalleym

Omalleym Member

Attached Files:

5. chalmc80

chalmc80 Member

Thanks, here is mine for comparison (same wheel)

IMG_2320.JPG IMG_2323.JPG IMG_2322.JPG

I have emailed Tesla asking for a quote.

6. Omalleym

Omalleym Member

7. Bigal

Bigal Member

Wish I'd seen this before. Had mine two weeks and did the same think. I have a mobile guy coming round to the house on Saturday (£60). anything i should be aware of regarding taking off the wheels you think?

8. arg

arg Supporting Member

Know where the jacking points are - it's fairly obvious when you look (and shown in the manual), but putting a jack onto the battery by mistake could be disasterous.

Correct torque for putting the wheel nuts back on afterwards is quite high - 175Nm (129 lb-ft). You are expected to use a torque wrench.

• Like x 1
  9. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

I don't know anything about them, but would Alloy Gators be a good idea? I've been thinking about getting them, but don't know if there are any downsides?

Products | Alloygator

• Like x 1
  10. NullException

NullException Member

I had them fitted by the detailer I used to put paint protection on my car. 2 days later, I scraped a wheel slightly on a very tight exit 'chicane' in a car park, and the AlloyGator took the damage, so I'm happy with them.

I didn't find any downsides when I researched them, unlike the ones that stick on the outside of the rim, which sometimes come off when driving, or cause surface damage when you remove them. Fitting Alloygators is more difficult, though, as you need to completely depressurise the tyres to fit them.

The 1 and 2 star reviews for this one put me off, for example: Rimblades Alloy Wheel Edge Ring Rim Protectors Tyres Tire Guard Rubber Moulding (Red Rimblades): Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

• Like x 1
  11. arg

arg Supporting Member

This post over on the (owner-only) UK section of the Tesla forum claims his alloygators broke loose in what looks like a really severe kerb strike, then flailed around causing considerable paint damage to adjacent panels.

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/alloygator-destroyed-my-door

Not clear if this was a kerb impact at speed, or if he just drove off after a low speed incident without bothering to inspect the damage.

You might of course say "I wouldn't do that", but it's at least a potential down-side.

• Like x 1
  12. LondonGman

LondonGman Member

I had alloygator's fitted to my 21" wheels on Saturday. I can recommend Contact Us | Wheel Power in SE London. They have fitted them to several Teslas already (they know where to jack etc). 45 minutes to fit. Approx £140

• Like x 1
  13. Bigal

Bigal Member

Had the alloy repaired Saturday by Andrews Alloys Mobile repair. Absolutely excellent! £60 for the whole job.

14. chalmc80

chalmc80 Member

Thanks will keep them in mind if I need to get repaired again...fingers crossed I don't need to use them though! I'm getting mine repaired whilst its at Tesla in a couple weeks for some other work.

15. Nicola_Won

Nicola_Won We're on the cusp of an energy revolution.

Had mine about 3 days and twice scraped the alloys: once on tight Richmond ncp car park exit, other time trying to cut a corner to allow a poorly positioned driver to pass! Won't do that again! Just not used to the wide body. If only I had top down virtual view. :( glad I found this post. Will get the gator rims and mobile fix. Thanks.

16. Nicola_Won

Nicola_Won We're on the cusp of an energy revolution.

Shame Andrews doesn't serve west London. Can anyone recommend a mobile alloy repair that will service west London/Surrey area?