Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Almost became a statistic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been charging on 110 with a Costco 12awg extension cord for the past 3 months. The 2 pack 50ft yellow cords that are often on sale. I could never get more than 8a out. If I tried to go higher it would eventually drop down to 6a. The female end was always fairly warm to the touch but so was the mobile connector body so I figured that's how it was supposed to be.

Well the other night I saw another post on here showing a discolored cord. I took a look at mine and sure enough it's nice and brown. Immediately ordered a 10awg cord and I'm getting much better charging now with no warmth at all from the female end.

Don't be a statistic with melted electrical equipment. Make sure you're using the proper equipment.

Attachments

• PXL_20230904_173031814.jpg
    PXL_20230904_173031814.jpg
    421.9 KB · Views: 209
I've only got 1 outlet in my garage in a bad spot and life got in the way this summer so the extension cord was always a temporary solution. As to the voltage drop, I believe it's due to the high load on the circuit. It's got a large chest freezer and 2 refrigerators on it in addition to the Tesla.

I've got a wall connector sitting here and I'm in the process of finishing running my wire. It's been a lot more work than I expected to run the wire but I have more time now that school has started for the kids. Hoping to have rough-in inspection in a week or so and then final inspection shortly after. Haven't looked at their schedule yet.

NEC should update their building codes to require a evse circuit for each garage bay and more than one 120v circuit in the garage.

Reactions: wtlloyd and BitJam
NEC should update their building codes to require a evse circuit for each garage bay and more than one 120v circuit in the garage.

Definitely this would be a good idea. Perhaps one circuit per two garage bays if the circuit is run between the bays, for sharing.

Since the auto industry is clearly going electric, the building industry should catch up and require this as soon as possible.

I've only got 1 outlet in my garage in a bad spot and life got in the way this summer so the extension cord was always a temporary solution. As to the voltage drop, I believe it's due to the high load on the circuit. It's got a large chest freezer and 2 refrigerators on it in addition to the Tesla.

I've got a wall connector sitting here and I'm in the process of finishing running my wire. It's been a lot more work than I expected to run the wire but I have more time now that school has started for the kids. Hoping to have rough-in inspection in a week or so and then final inspection shortly after. Haven't looked at their schedule yet.

Oh my. It is a minor miracle that the breaker didn’t blow with those loads. Good luck with the install! That website I linked to also has tips about doing a DIY install: CarCharging.us

There's nothing improper about using appropriate equipment to charge from 110V outlet, though the proper equipment for that does not include an extension cord.

You're right, it's not improper to charge using 110v... it's just impractical. For a large number of drivers (possibly most), the amperage at 110v charging won't put enough juice into the battery to replenish your daily driving.

Living in Toronto, charging during Winter on 110v will absolutely not be sufficient. In colder temps, the energy can all be used trying to warm the battery up before charging it... except it'll never get up to temp. You'll actually waste all of the energy just warming the battery in perpetuity if outside temps are cold enough.

So... 100v charging is insufficient. Thumbs down all you want.

I've been charging on 110 with a Costco 12awg extension cord for the past 3 months. The 2 pack 50ft yellow cords that are often on sale. I could never get more than 8a out. If I tried to go higher it would eventually drop down to 6a. The female end was always fairly warm to the touch but so was the mobile connector body so I figured that's how it was supposed to be.

Well the other night I saw another post on here showing a discolored cord. I took a look at mine and sure enough it's nice and brown. Immediately ordered a 10awg cord and I'm getting much better charging now with no warmth at all from the female end.

Don't be a statistic with melted electrical equipment. Make sure you're using the proper equipment.
Why don't you just use Tesla Superchargers?

I wish people would realize that if the car or EVSE is lowering the amperage, it's a critical failure. A sign to stop using it and find out what's wrong, not something to be ignored until it's convenient. Tesla should probably have the charge cut off entirely when they detect something wrong instead of just reducing the charge rate.

Reactions: Rocky_H
No. Your point about insufficient is right for most drivers, but for those that can get what they need from an overnight 110V charge, it's not improper. That's objectively true, LOL. There's no "most proper" or "least proper" - something is either proper or it's not.

I was only borrowing the word "proper" as a continuation of the poster right before me.

I wasn't making any claims of 120v vs 240v, only that a hardwired supply is better than an outlet with something plugged into it. Hardwired is safer, has a higher maximum charge rate, and typically costs about the same or possibly even less than getting a mobile connector and having an outlet installed. That's objectively true.

Regarding 120v charging - it is actually less efficient, and it's also insufficient for many (maybe even most) of the population.

I guess it's good the OP replaced a failed extensions cord that was clearly not functioning properly before it melted and caught fire.

But it's odd and scary the OP is still using a charging method that violates the electrical code and the manufactures requirements for safety. I highly doubt the extension cord is rated for the continuous load at the amperage used either.

Using an extension cord doesn't allow the EVSE plug temperature sensor to properly read the temperature at the receptacle either.

I also question if having so many other draws on the same circuit is up to code or safe. Wires in the house may start to melt and catch fire from being on for hundreds of hours continuously, and it would happen without any visual warning signs.

So I guess props for doing one thing well but shame on OP for repeating many of the prior poor decisions.