Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ALP electric vehicle policy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would it make sense for Australia to subsidise the creation of domestic battery cell production? Say for example we license Tesla's 4680 cell line and then we start building high nickel cells.

Nickel is $15,000 per tonne if we export it directly
A high nickel kWh worth of 4680 would be in the long run $100
400Wh per KG, 60% of which would be nickel
1 tonne of nickel would create 240 kWh
240kWh @ $100 = $24,000

$24,000 / $15,000 = 60% improvement in revenue per nickel tonne

Reactions: Hairyman
It's a start..
So the proposal is the removal of the 5% in import duty for vehicles up to the LCT..

So a $50k Leaf drops to $47.5k.
A $75k Tesla, drops to $71k.
But an $80k Tesla is unaffected.

And FBT which might make buying these vehicles by companies an even better deal.

It's probably the lower end where cost is most important. The people buying Performance M3s aren't the type of people who need a subsidy (sorry if this applies to you are you take offence!).

Most importantly, the SR Model 3 is just under the cut-off, and hopefully the base level Model Y and Cybertruck are going to be in the same situation (but it could be close). Tesla could be incentivised to keep the base level under this amount to make the most of it.

Its a bit lame. The pollies on both sides need to get more courageous and start penalising people that buy NEW high pollution vehicles, with a sliding scale to reduce the threshold annually. The additional tax could offset the cost of the cheaper electric cars to get more mass buying

Agree.
Announcing that the fuel tax.. which will be renamed the pollution levy will gradually increase over the next few years - would have a bigger impact... and not increase the budget deficit.

So Murdoch can save money and re-use the headlines from last election "They're coming to take your Utes" & "Labor hates the weekend" ?
It will be interesting to see over time the lessening impact print media has on sociology & politics (of which Murdoch owns 70%). It will become less of an issue as (intractable) older people die off.
Almost certainly too late to abate the serious consequences of anthropogenic global warming

Would it make sense for Australia to subsidise the creation of domestic battery cell production? Say for example we license Tesla's 4680 cell line and then we start building high nickel cells.
Nickel is $15,000 per tonne if we export it directly
A high nickel kWh worth of 4680 would be in the long run $100
400Wh per KG, 60% of which would be nickel
1 tonne of nickel would create 240 kWh
240kWh @ $100 = $24,000
$24,000 / $15,000 = 60% improvement in revenue per nickel tonne
Of course it would make sense. Restarting SOME kind of manufacturing in this country would be great- look at what happens when you depend on China for everything!
We should be subsidizing and building solar panels and batteries.
A genuinely helpful move.

Its a bit lame. The pollies on both sides need to get more courageous and start penalising people that buy NEW high pollution vehicles, with a sliding scale to reduce the threshold annually. The additional tax could offset the cost of the cheaper electric cars to get more mass buying
“More courageous”... well the ALP took a much more ambitious EV policy to the previous federal election. So how did that “courage” work out?

It's better than nothing but I still wish they had the courage to remove the LCT altogether.
I disagree. People buying $75k+ cars don’t need tax reductions, EV or not.

Much more important to make an impact at the lower end where there might be a lot of inbuilt resistance to the EV transition and it takes price improvements to have an impact.

Maybe those people had to save up a lot and work extra hours and avoid spending money on alcohol an cigarettes to afford the car?
You don’t think it’s much better to reduce the price of lower cost EVs so that people don’t need to save as much in the first place? It would also help improve the market economics for the big manufacturers to start bringing more EV models into Australia and give people more choice at the lower price points, which creates a virtuous circle as the market grows.

Tesla, Porsche, Audi, BMW etc don’t need that kind of help in my view.

Reactions: Chuq
Of course it would make sense. Restarting SOME kind of manufacturing in this country would be great- look at what happens when you depend on China for everything!
We should be subsidizing and building solar panels and batteries.
A genuinely helpful move.
Tindo in Adelaide build solar panels. I dont believe they are subsidised. They are very high quality panels too.
A factory tour is worthwhile.

Reactions: Hovean
“More courageous”... well the ALP took a much more ambitious EV policy to the previous federal election. So how did that “courage” work out?
This will get messy if we start chatting politics, but I do recall multiple issues at the last election from labor. I dont think you can single out their EV policy for the election loss

This will get messy if we start chatting politics, but I do recall multiple issues at the last election from labor. I dont think you can single out their EV policy for the election loss
Where did I “single out their EV policy” as the cause for their election loss? I didn’t.

What we saw in response to this policy was a ridiculous pile-on by a number of LNP MPs from the Prime Minister down, and extensive ridicule and excoriation by the Murdoch media for days on end. That’s what “courage” resulted in.

Reactions: Didaho