Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Already have J1772 EVSE, should I get the Tesla Wall Charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, my household currently has two LEAFs (one 2011, one 2015), and thus has a standard J1772 charging station. We trade off charging as-needed, and it's worked well for a few years now.

I'm replacing my LEAF (the 2011) with a Model 3, and trying to decide if it's worth adding a Tesla charger specifically for the Model 3, or just sticking to the existing charger. My main concern is that charging the M3 with the existing old-school Blink charger I got in 2011 might be slow enough to really mess up the existing 'trade off charging'.

My commute isn't bad, so I expect the M3 will only need a charge irregularly. (Though I admit, with the M3, I might be tempted to hit I-5 and visit friends in Vancouver BC or Portland OR more often.)

Do folks think it's worth the time/money to get the Tesla wall charger and install it so both cars can charge at once? I'd value some opinions before I whip out the credit card. :)

With a regular level 2 charger, you will likely get about 26-28 miles charge per hour. If you can live that, then no need to worry. Currently takes about 6-7 hours to get to 90% on the model 3, so with a level 2, it’ll take you about 10 hours. I love the fact that you can quickly charge up if you only have an hour. So it really depends on your usage patterns vs your wallet

Reactions: suwaneedad
With a regular level 2 charger, you will likely get about 26-28 miles charge per hour. If you can live that, then no need to worry. Currently takes about 6-7 hours to get to 90% on the model 3, so with a level 2, it’ll take you about 10 hours. I love the fact that you can quickly charge up if you only have an hour. So it really depends on your usage patterns vs your wallet

I can probably live with it—my turn with the charger is overnight, while my housemate with the other LEAF works evenings and charges during the day.

Still, it might be nice to be able to charge both without worries.

I use my J1772 adapter for all home charging. No big deal.
Why not just try it for a while, and if it annoys you, get the HPWC? We can't give you the answer of how annoying it is to you personally...

That's a fair point. I suppose I was more pondering if there were any aspects to TWC vs standard J1772 that I should take into account beyond what I was thinking of. It sounds like "not really"—just the time considerations I already had—so I may just try the existing EVSE for now, and grab a TWC if timing/trade-offs prove a problem.

Thank you all for the input!

Reactions: LoL Rick
Keep in mind that the Blink is most likely limited to 24A (they downrated nearly all of them after some of them started melting plugs) and 30A at most. The Model 3 can charge at up to 48A. So if you want the absolute fastest charging you'll want to get a HPWC or a J1772 station that can handle 48A. If you expect all your charging to be overnight, then even 24A is probably fast enough - 240V/24A will charge a nearly empty Model 3 in just over 12 hours.

Since the Blink is also most likely installed on a 40A circuit and EV circuits are down-rated 20%, you'll need to have your circuit upgraded to 60A or get an additional 60A circuit installed for the another station if you want maximum charging speed for the Model 3.

I'm in the same boat as you - I'm planning on starting off by charging on the Blink and see how that goes - problem I have is that the Blink needs a longer cord (20ft instead of 15ft) so it will reach both cars, or we'll need to shuffle the cars around depending on which one needs to charge based on what will be their "normal" charging spot. If both need to charge at the same time, I'll just use a portable charger on 120V outlet in a pinch, or maybe I'll just install a 50A plug and then be able to charge at 240V.

I’ve got a 40A OpenEVSE unit in the garage that I have been using to charge the Leaf. I ordered an extra J1772 adapter that will possibly arrive before the car. I’ll permanently leave one adapter on the OpenEVSE unit and one in the car, when the Model 3 arrives next month. Small price to not have to remember to grab the J1772 adapter on that few times that I may need to charge away from the house.

Even without purchasing an extra adapter, I’d still use your existing EVSE and likely leave the adapter in the garage except while traveling or on the days you know you’ll need to charge away from the house. This should happen very rarely if you’re a typical owner.

Reactions: DR61 and dhrivnak
it might be nice to be able to charge both without worries
My guess is that you will not run into a need to charge both vehicles simultaneously. We have a 2012 LEAF, and added Model 3 several weeks ago. We're used to having to charge the LEAF ~daily due to its small pack. What I immediately noticed with the Model 3 is that it only needs to see a charger cable 1-2x/wk...it's bizarre relative to LEAF!! Granted, vampire drain is noticeably higher with the Model 3 than the LEAF (and by the way, optimal speed with LEAF is 12mph, whereas with Model 3 it's ~35mph, so bumper-to-bumper traffic is way less efficient in Model 3 than I'm used to in LEAF). My daughter will be using the LEAF heavily this summer while home from college, so that will get daily charges of 5-6 hours. But I still don't anticipate a charging conflict since Model 3 only needs to connect 1-2x/wk (and we are seeing 29mph of Model 3 range added on our 220v circuit by the way).

I still don't understand why you wouldn't just use the Model 3's included 32A EVSE.

Most people could including myself. I bought the HPWC for the convenience and the 48 amps if I want. If the car has an onboard 48 amp charger I want the ability to utilize it even if I never do. Mounted between the garage doors with a 24’ cable to cover either spot and the driveway when required. I want the UMC in the car with the different adapters every time we leave the house. I don’t want to have to remember to unplug it and take it with me.
Besides, the WC looks frigging cool! (now all I have to do is install it)

Last edited:
If you don't need to charge both cars at the same time, I wouldn't bother. If you want that ability, I would get the wall connector and set up a separate line for it. That's probably going to cost you a little. By what you say it sounds like charging both EVs from one charger isn't and issue. Honestly using the adapter isn't a big deal so just use that and don't worry about installing a second charger.

Unless you start driving more miles, you won't be charging the Model 3 for more hours/day than you currently charge the Leaf, and probably much less, since (a) the Model 3 is more efficient and uses fewer Wh/mile, and (b) may charge at a higher rate on your existing EVSE (depending on whether your Leaf has a 6.6 or 3.3kW on-board charger - I think the 11's were all 3.3?)

I charge all the time on a J1772. Dealing with the adapter isn't a big deal, although getting a spare to keep at home might not be a bad idea, depending on how often you forget it.

Well, I just found out they're planning to put in a Supercharger about four blocks from my house by end-of-year, which lessens the need for a TWC even further.

Comments like these will cause a wave of hate LOL There are still many people here that think Superchargers should not be used for daily charging needs and are very vocal about it.

• Disagree
Reactions: dhanson865
Comments like these will cause a wave of hate LOL There are still many people here that think Superchargers should not be used for daily charging needs and are very vocal about it.

I figure I would still charge with the existing EVSE 99% of the time, but having a nearby Supercharger reduces worry considerably about if there's a sudden need for a full charge and the switch-off timing between Leaf and M3 didn't work.

I would be pretty equally annoyed by someone using the SC in lieu of home charging all the time, too.

Well, I just found out they're planning to put in a Supercharger about four blocks from my house by end-of-year, which lessens the need for a TWC even further.

Why waste your time at a Supercharger, unless you want to meet other owners?

As far as the original question, my wife's 7 year old Leaf and my 5 year old Model S co-exist happily on a single J1772 EVSE. Our original Blink blew itself up, so we now have a Chargepoint Home which goes to 32amps. It is no big deal to pop on the J1772 to Tesla adapter.

I did buy a second J1772 to Tesla adapter, to leave in our garage full time, on eBay. I keep the other in the car for road trips.

I can't imagine needing 2 chargers, unless you need to both charge at the same time.