Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw the -20% ticker today and my first thought was to allocate more funds toward CSIQ. But I'm having a hard time really grasping what this yieldco construction they're working on will mean for us stockholders.
I'm still holding my CSIQ though it is a pittance compared to my TSLAS and SCTY. I couldn't resist, I even added 200 more shares at $19.7 today. I have no idea where this will go, it's not much money and I can hold it for a very long time.

Agreed. I don't have a huge stake, but I plan to let it sit for quite some time. Short of a miraculous cold fusion discovery, I still believe solar power + energy storage will dominate our planet within a decade or two, and I like betting on leaders in the space like CSIQ.

Actually, even harnessing the power of the God particle would not undermine distributed solar and storage. Get a load of God-parity.

Why will be the end of centralised generation : Renew Economy

Nationally in the US, transmission and distribution adds about 5 c/kWh to retail grid rates. Also the just capex of centralized generators starts at about 1.5 c/kWh (for NGCC), so surely the God particle would demand a more costly temple. So as distributed solar and storage drift down below 6.5 c/kWh, grid generation has very little to offer.

Anyone heard of 8Point3 (CAFD)? Read a very positive snippet about it and felt it's worth looking into. For starters, it's a yieldco with two parents - SunPower and First Solar. Apparently based on current prices it would have a yield of more than 6% with double-digit growth rates on dividend well into the future.

I didn't verify anything yet. But just checking if someone already did the research.

Anyone heard of 8Point3 (CAFD)? Read a very positive snippet about it and felt it's worth looking into. For starters, it's a yieldco with two parents - SunPower and First Solar. Apparently based on current prices it would have a yield of more than 6% with double-digit growth rates on dividend well into the future.

I didn't verify anything yet. But just checking if someone already did the research.

What you have written is correct, current yield is just over 6% as you can see here

8Point3 Energy Partners LP: NASDAQ:CAFD quotes & news - Google Finance

I definately like CAFD much more than SUNEs TERP, comparable yield and much more risk in TERP due to higher leverage and and a weaker sponsor. The runway of asset buildup is much safer with two vertically integrated industry leaders behind CAFD compared to the younger non vertical integrated SUNE that expands at an eye watering rate taking on high interest debt.

Has anyone been following SUNE?

What's the story behind the drop from $33 in July to below $10 today?
You could just as easily ask: what was behind its sudden rise from $15 to $33....the answer would likely be Hedge fund speculation, mainly Greenlight Capital. Not a huge SUNE fan - lots of debt, little innovation (except for the financial engineering kind). I think people are uncomfortable with the math behind YieldCos and the debt load of SUNE.

You could just as easily ask: what was behind its sudden rise from $15 to $33....the answer would likely be Hedge fund speculation, mainly Greenlight Capital. Not a huge SUNE fan - lots of debt, little innovation (except for the financial engineering kind). I think people are uncomfortable with the math behind YieldCos and the debt load of SUNE.

It's now trading at $9,30. Seems low to me but looking at those large movements in the stock im unsure if I'm willing to take the risk, it could go lower.

I have been away from the stock market for almost a year now and with loads of positions dead at my feet will have to do some due dikigence on solars to understand what to do with my current SPWR, JASO and CSIQ positions ... All are stock or March '16 or Jan '17 so got a bit of time, but a couple of quickies if you can pointer me to good soirces:

* why the quick fall of csiq from 36->17 region, heard about a split off of some of the business, but haven't had a chance to understand the total impact and how it affects the bottom line or if there is a new entity involved etc
* JASO still at 8-10 region, need to read the earnings reports, but I'd have expected them to be in the 15-20 range by now barring cheap oil...
* SPWR fall from 32->20 range, somewhat similarly timed as CSIQ drop, but not really related, right? I saw it lost the lawsuit against SUNE, but that's very latest news, what's the more general drop about.

is it all truly just cheap oil or something more going on... Good reading sources welcome...

I have been away from the stock market for almost a year now and with loads of positions dead at my feet will have to do some due dikigence on solars to understand what to do with my current SPWR, JASO and CSIQ positions ... All are stock or March '16 or Jan '17 so got a bit of time, but a couple of quickies if you can pointer me to good soirces:

* why the quick fall of csiq from 36->17 region, heard about a split off of some of the business, but haven't had a chance to understand the total impact and how it affects the bottom line or if there is a new entity involved etc
* JASO still at 8-10 region, need to read the earnings reports, but I'd have expected them to be in the 15-20 range by now barring cheap oil...
* SPWR fall from 32->20 range, somewhat similarly timed as CSIQ drop, but not really related, right? I saw it lost the lawsuit against SUNE, but that's very latest news, what's the more general drop about.

is it all truly just cheap oil or something more going on... Good reading sources welcome...

Yes, solars in general seem to have mysteriously lost a lot of steam, so to speak, during the past year.

Many (or most) are Chinese and have been hit by the general situation there.

Jaso must have been manipulated by some big money presenting a buyout bid that hasn't happened yet (see above). I bailed about then.

Still keep a few Csiq because of their NA presence and some pipelined projects and a rumoured Yield-company split-off.

But that was no big success so far for Sune ...

I think Spwr is involved with Fslr for a yieldco; might spread risks a bit.

My hopes are with Scty, who recently bought a new tech co using tunnelling to reach nearly 24% efficiency and are now building a huge panel factory in Buffalo NY.

The contrarianinvestor is a discussion forum where I got much of my inspiration and information about solar investment. It was started by Sleepyhead, who was later ousted and opened his own forum at Intelligent Investor Community Research . It appears to be rather quiet there now.

Good to see you posting again, BTW! Good luck. And don't do what I do, of course - please make your own mistakes! :wink:

I meant to get in around the IPO but never did. It's around that price right now, I wonder why?....Maybe it's time to get in, buy on the dip, right?
Lockup expiration was a week or so ago so it could just be people selling what they got in the IPO. I don't really know though for sure, but they are making money and expect to be making more money.