Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

alternators

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By all means, try it! Not trying to stop an inventor's spirit. However, I don't want you to have unfulfilled expectations.

You were the one who brought up planets, not me. I think it's an important point because there is no known system in the universe which are over-unity. Only one system is 100% unity, which is the universe as a whole.

Over-unity, which is what you are describing, if it is possible (I doubt it is) will probably never come from some simple arrangement of magnets, motors, alternators or electro-mechanical systems. It will probably come from something like dark matter or quantum physics, maybe stealing energy from other universes. But that is complete speculation.

Are you still talking about planets. alternators is the subject here. But if you feel more comfortable, think generators. Generators will make that machine you have never seen go 150 miles per hour and never have to stop to refuel. Wont you be happy. Free energy.

• Funny
Reactions: David99
I keep seeing this thread pop up on my 'what's new' search & stop by to see what's going on. And basically each time I see people saying 'no such thing as free energy' (ayup) and the OP saying 'you have no imagination'.

Okay ... then SHOW the people here and quit telling them they have no imagination. Because right now this just isn't going anywhere. You originally asked a question about how many alternators. That question was answered. Now it's just an argument. You don't want to hear that energy must come from somewhere. Soo... prove them wrong.

stubborness.jpg

I keep seeing this thread pop up on my 'what's new' search & stop by to see what's going on. And basically each time I see people saying 'no such thing as free energy' (ayup) and the OP saying 'you have no imagination'.

Okay ... then SHOW the people here and quit telling them they have no imagination. Because right now this just isn't going anywhere. You originally asked a question about how many alternators. That question was answered. Now it's just an argument. You don't want to hear that energy must come from somewhere. Soo... prove them wrong.

View attachment 48440

there are many ways in which energy is extracted for free after of course you have the equipment to do so. Solar panels extract free energy. wind turbines extract free energy. magnets moving through a coil extract free energy, this one has been propose using the waves in the ocean to supply the movement. thermal energy from the core of the earth is also free energy. Niagra falls is free energy."You originally asked a question about how many alternators. That question was answered." That question was never answered. I just simply gave up asking.

• Funny
Reactions: Big Earl
there are many ways in which energy is extracted for free after of course you have the equipment to do so. Solar panels extract free energy. wind turbines extract free energy. magnets moving through a coil extract free energy, this one has been propose using the waves in the ocean to supply the movement. thermal energy from the core of the earth is also free energy. Niagra falls is free energy.

I don't know what you mean by "extract" but in all the examples you just provided, you are taking energy in one form and converting it to energy in some other form. You are never creating energy out of nothing in any of these examples. In fact, in every one of those examples, the conversion of energy is never 100% so only some of the energy is converted to the form you want (electricity in all of your examples). Let's take your example of wind energy. When you convert wind energy to electricity, you slow down the air. Sure, some of the air keeps moving past the turbine, but that is energy you weren't able to get out of the air. Extracting thermal energy is just that - taking heat and turning it into some other form of energy. Fortunately there is a lot of heat in the earth so it will take a long long time to make any measurable difference. When you use waves to generate electricity, you make the waves smaller by taking that kinetic energy and converting it into electricity. In every case, you are left with the same net energy before and after.

Might want to check this out: Conservation of energy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"You originally asked a question about how many alternators. That question was answered." That question was never answered.

Seriously? It was answered at least twice.

You originally asked a question about how many alternators. That question was answered.
That question was never answered. I just simply gave up asking.

1st @ post #2
Well, assuming you mean 12V automotive alternators, they will be able to put out about 2500 watts each (160A*15.6V) so for a decent charge rate of 10 kW you would need four. But then you need an inverter to convert 12V DC to 240V AC at 40 amps. There are two technical problems to overcome; one it that you need to regulate the alternator output without a battery for a load, and another is making sure the alternators will share current equally if they are paralleled.

On second thought if you put them in series and found a 48 VDC solar inverter, this would likely give the best efficiency.

2nd @ post #5
Ridiculous. Why don't you get a single 240V alternator instead? It's not like the thing needs to be invented. You can go order it now.

3rd @ post #8
With regards to your rephrased question: You can put as many alternators and/or generators in the car (not on I hope) as you can physically make fit. With the proper output (AC up to 22kW) or DC (up to 120 kW if you manage to simulate the Supercharger protocol or some 50 kW if you emulate Chademo protocol and implement the Tesla to Chademo adapter to your design) within Teslas rated voltage range you should be able to charge the car (standing still)

4th @ post #11
If the car can use a peak 320kW, then you would need 320 / 2.5 = 128 alternators and considerably more engine power to turn them.

4 > 0

There are also many helpful replies that talk about some of the numbers in play but don't come to a specific answer on the alternator count.

1st @ post #2

2nd @ post #5

3rd @ post #8

4th @ post #11

4 > 0

There are also many helpful replies that talk about some of the numbers in play but don't come to a specific answer on the alternator count.

I guess the question here has become put up or shut up. I never offered answer here, I only asked one question. I wish I could offer something, but until I go to patent I'm sorry I can't. So it's put up or shut up, so I will...............

• Funny
Reactions: Cheburashka
You're not going to get a patent on whatever contraption you're dreaming up. And I can assure you, whatever you think you have invented has been tried dozens or hundreds of times before. Perpetual motion is nothing new. There's just no such thing possible as any device, using any technology that can power an electric car forever, and never needing to stop for a charge. What you've described multiple times is a physical impossibility. It violates the basic rules of physics.

But good luck with your patent.

Hank, I was going to say that I didn't think you actually had to show something works to get a patent, but I actually found this:

Perpetual motion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Proposals for such inoperable machines have become so common that the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has made an official policy of refusing to grant patents for perpetual motion machines without a working model. The USPTO Manual of Patent Examining Practice states:
With the exception of cases involving perpetual motion, a model is not ordinarily required by the Office to demonstrate the operability of a device. If operability of a device is questioned, the applicant must establish it to the satisfaction of the examiner, but he or she may choose his or her own way of so doing.[SUP][23][/SUP]

So, jossamer, you're going to need to show a working model before you can get your patent. Good luck to you.

I guess the question here has become put up or shut up. I never offered answer here, I only asked one question. I wish I could offer something, but until I go to patent I'm sorry I can't. So it's put up or shut up, so I will...............
Sigh. You did more than that. You said nobody answered your question. I linked 4 posts that directly answered your question.

If you're going to reply to my rebuttal for context, the high road is to step back and admit that you were incorrect.

It looks to me that we are dealing with semantics.

To one side, "Free Energy" means that there is energy that you don't pay for. Sunlight, magnetic fields, and waves are free.

To the other side of the coin, "Free energy" means that you extract energy for free. Unfortunately, the extraction gear costs money, but since solar panels and wave generation only cost so many dollars, the free energy eventually pays for the cost of extraction.

The problem is that a car driving down the road making "Wind", is not making "Free wind". It costs to drive the car, and the wind generation can never pay for itself. Now if the car is sitting still, and a wind generator is running in the driving "Free Wind" next to the car, the car can be charged with "Free Energy" -- minus the cost of the energy collection device.

This is what I do with my solar panels. My use of free energy has paid for the panels over years' time, and I can charge my car with "free energy".

The problem is defining free energy. If a car is making the wheels move, which have a generator attached to them, the energy is not free, because you are making it. If I put solar panels in front of my headlights, the light is not free. If I have to drive 30 mph to make wind, it is not free.

I think that is the difference, but... I could be wrong.

It looks to me that we are dealing with semantics.

To one side, "Free Energy" means that there is energy that you don't pay for. Sunlight, magnetic fields, and waves are free.

To the other side of the coin, "Free energy" means that you extract energy for free. Unfortunately, the extraction gear costs money, but since solar panels and wave generation only cost so many dollars, the free energy eventually pays for the cost of extraction.

Rob,

Thanks for pointing out the distinction between "free", as in not having to pay anything additional (i.e. in other than original investment) and free as in being created without any energy cost.

The former is an example of an open system, where the energy comes from outside the machine using the energy. A closed system, e.g. the car itself in motion would be an example of a closed system, where there is no external source of energy. The only energy provided is within the battery and/or internally stored fuel.

I've typically ignored threads such as this, as there are enough other people in this forum who have the knowledge to appropriately reply, and I usually end up seeing the thread after many of them have already replied. Also, usually the person who starts the thread doesn't have any significant knowledge of physics to start with, and in most cases doesn't have the inclination to learn it.

However, I do wish to point out to Jossamer the following two points.

1) As already noted by someone earlier, start with a small relatively inexpensive prototype.

2) If by some miracle your idea works, when you apply for your patent don't use a phrase such as "runs indefinitely without further input of energy", or any other phrase that is similar in nature. If you do, the examiner will interpret it to be a perpetual motion machine and dismiss you as delusional, or a charlatan. Instead use a phrase such as improved energy recovery device.

However, even less expensive for you, purchase a small generator or alternator that can be hand cranked. Crank it without being connected to any wiring (load) and note how easy it is to turn. Then attach a heavy wire across the output terminals and see out much harder it is to turn. That will illustrate what others have been saying about how regenerative braking works, and why you have to have an additional energy source (i.e. in this case you).

Reactions: PaulusdB
I think she needs 9,83 bottles. There are 350 kcal in a bottle, not 350 calories. kilo-calories (kcal) and calories are often confused.

None the less there will be frequent bathroom brakes :)

Did you miss a decimal? I think she needs only 1 bottle. Or actually 4 since she's only 25% efficient herself. This alternative power source is looking better and better all the time.

This thread reminds me of another guy several years ago who "invented" a perpetual motion ICE by re-routing the exhaust port of cylinder #4 to the intake port of cylinder #1 in a 4 cylinder engine. It was pretty amazing. :biggrin: