Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AM radio 🤦‍♂️ [Model 3 has no AM radio]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Chalk this one up to something I didn't even think to look up prior to buying my M3. I knew the M3 didn't include a satellite radio tuner but I didn't even think to look to see if there's an AM tuner. I don't think that would have kept me from buying it but my goodness, why isn't it included. I get that Musk doesn't want anyone else's ecosystem co-mingling with his so there's no native Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. But AM radio? Seriously?

What have you found as a workaround other than downloading apps and streaming it? That's honestly the most wonky workaround ever. Some things about this car scream "Welcome to the future!" and other things say, "Welcome back to the early 2,000's".

I had the same issue, luckily you can find most AM stations on Tune In, which is included with the car.

One advantage is better quality than AM over the air, disadvantage is if you are driving where there is no cell signal it won't work (and premium connectivity or Wifi of course).

Last edited:
Reactions: SnohoBeav
Some things about this car scream "Welcome to the future!" and other things say, "Welcome back to the early 2,000's".

Im assuming you mean not having AM radio means "Welcome to the future!" (I realize its unlikely thats what you meant). AM radio is one of the oldest technologies in cars, so not having it is definitely "Welcome to the future", even though thats not likely what you ment.

Chalk this one up to something I didn't even think to look up prior to buying my M3. I knew the M3 didn't include a satellite radio tuner but I didn't even think to look to see if there's an AM tuner. I don't think that would have kept me from buying it but my goodness, why isn't it included. I get that Musk doesn't want anyone else's ecosystem co-mingling with his so there's no native Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. But AM radio? Seriously?

What have you found as a workaround other than downloading apps and streaming it? That's honestly the most wonky workaround ever. Some things about this car scream "Welcome to the future!" and other things say, "Welcome back to the early 2,000's".
What can work sometimes is that an AM station will simulcast on FM, either on a main channel (i.e., 99.5) or one of the HD sub-channels. You can see a list of stations that do that here:

Yeah, TuneIn works for some but there are limits and issues.

- Good luck listening to sporting events since the leagues have blackout rules. Really annoying when the streams air rerun content with no notice.
- Streams are usually monetized with additional advertising and most pre-roll ads are triggered every time you join regardless of whether you’re channel surfing or the stream momentarily dropped because of network issues.
- AM traffic/road condition alert stations aren’t on TuneIn (whether or not you have a cell signal in mountain passes).
- Tesla does server level updates to their supported CODECs without notice which breaks particular stations and, as usual, there’s no feedback loop so fixes take way longer than a simple software patch should.

On the plus side, you can listen to an AM (or FM for that matter) stream thousands of miles from the station and while going through tunnels. Plus, there’s no interference from the electric motors and no need to have an external antenna mast in order to help minimize that. That last one is Tesla’s motivation.

Simulcasts on FM HD sub channels are somewhat nice since, if available, they often resolve the sports blackout and electrical interference issues. Too bad so few AM stations (and emergency alert agencies) have the budget to go that route.

Sorry you didn’t know. You will probably get used to it.

Im assuming you mean not having AM radio means "Welcome to the future!" (I realize its unlikely thats what you meant). AM radio is one of the oldest technologies in cars, so not having it is definitely "Welcome to the future", even though thats not likely what you ment.
Sorry, I was blending issues. When I said the early 2000's I mean using bluetooth to connect our phones to the radio. I've been 100% hands free with my phone in the center console for at least the last 5 years. Now I'm constantly picking up my phone to unlock it so I can find an app and open it or switch SiriusXm stations or open IHeartRadio to find the missing AM stations.

Simulcasts on FM HD sub channels are somewhat nice since, if available, they often resolve the sports blackout and electrical interference issues. Too bad so few AM stations (and emergency alert agencies) have the budget to go that route.

This makes me grateful to live in the NY Metro area. 1010 WINS (the most important AM station in the entire nation, in my not so humble opinion ;-) simulcasts on 102.7HD3.

There's basically nothing here left on AM that I can't find on FM HD. 1010 WINS, 660 WFAN, 770 WABC, 880 WCBS, 710 WOR all have FM HD repeaters. I'd take the HD Radio receiver over AM anytime, and twice on Sunday.

This makes me grateful to live in the NY Metro area. 1010 WINS (the most important AM station in the entire nation, in my not so humble opinion ;-) simulcasts on 102.7HD3.

There's basically nothing here left on AM that I can't find on FM HD. 1010 WINS, 660 WFAN, 770 WABC, 880 WCBS, 710 WOR all have FM HD repeaters. I'd take the HD Radio receiver over AM anytime, and twice on Sunday.
The range of FM sucks compared to the 50kW Class A clear channel AM stations though. And the range of HD Radio sucks even more than FM, with fadeouts when going underneath overpasses.

The range of FM sucks compared to the 50kW Class A clear channel AM stations though. And the range of HD Radio sucks even more than FM, with fadeouts when going underneath overpasses.

Sure, on a good night I could pickup 1010 WINS in Boston. A good clear night with a clean ionosphere and AM travels long, far and wide.

But that's really not much of an issue for me - I don't go much beyond the NYC Metro area. And if I do, then I have siriusxm/spotify/tunein all at my fingertips.

It is crazy to think that we're talking ~600hz stations, and I carry a handset that's transmitting gigabits of information in the 39GHz band. What a dichotomy.

Sure, on a good night I could pickup 1010 WINS in Boston. A good clear night with a clean ionosphere and AM travels long, far and wide.

But that's really not much of an issue for me - I don't go much beyond the NYC Metro area. And if I do, then I have siriusxm/spotify/tunein all at my fingertips.

It is crazy to think that we're talking ~600hz stations, and I carry a handset that's transmitting gigabits of information in the 39GHz band. What a dichotomy.
There are a couple of issues here. First is that the TuneIn software sucks, and often stops playing and doesn't restart until you press PAUSE and then PLAY. The second is that some content isn't allowed to be broadcast on TuneIn. This isn't as big of an issue as it used to be, as the SF Giants actually granted broadcast rights to their flagship station KNBR 680 which is allowed to stream the games on its own website and TuneIn, but it used to not be this way. And then there is the matter of what happens if you go somewhere there's no LTE coverage. Even during the daytime, I can pick it up as far away as Frazier Park/Gorman, which is about 260 miles from the transmitter. At night, I've picked up KNBR in San Diego (450 miles), Arizona (650 miles), and even as far away as Hawaii (2300 miles). The FM simulcast, on 104.5, barely makes it to Gilroy (70 miles) and won't even make it to Santa Cruz (60 miles) due to terrain. Monterey (85 miles)? Forget about it.

TuneIn is nice, when it works. But it's not as reliable as AM if you're in range of the transmitter. In fact, there was no way to listen to TuneIn or any other streaming stations on a portion of the drive to Yosemite, although I had AM radio on that trip because I took the PHEV.

Reactions: Jeff Davlt
Is there a way to get the Chicago sports station 670 The Score? I can’t find anything on TuneIn

Thankfully, unlike WGN (who tried an FM HD sub channel for a short time and abandoned it), The Score is simulcast on 104.3-2. And for those who care but didn’t know, WBBM (780) has been simulcasting on 105.9 (prime) since they gave up on managing a separate FM format many moons ago.

As mentioned in above post, Chicago is similarly fortunate but lacking a WGN FM simulcast is frustrating. Someday, I’m sure, they’ll get rights (back) to a team I care about and I’ll be playing the same game of streaming from my phone or using a transistor radio connected to a BT dongle.

Reactions: Cincybearcatfa