Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AMD Ryzen & 12v Batteries now shipping in US Y & 3!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you watch the road or the screen when you drive? Is driving down the freeway at 80 a video game to you? You react to what’s on the screen? The only time lagging visualization on the screen can be a safety hazard is when you are reversing. At all other times your eyes should be on the road, not the screen. You are trying to argue that VISUALIZATIONS on the screen are imperative to driving safely. The FSD computer makes driving decisions on AP or FSD the it sends what is seeing to the MCU to translate into visuals. A slow MCU has nothing to do with what the FSD computer sees and reacts to. It isn’t waiting for it to be displayed on the screen to make decisions…
WTF…. Please find anywhere I even vaguely alluded to safety. Go ahead. I’ll wait…

still waiting… (must be an intel,,, haha)

Take a deep breath. I never alluded to or remotely said safety. I said “it’s not just for loading YouTube” and gave an example that had nothing to do with safety. I have no idea why you flew off the handle about safety.

It’s all good. Just trying to make sure people don’t make a decision about this based on an incorrect forum post. The AMD WILL have an impact on responsiveness and future capabilities of normal car screen functions.

Reactions: Rydyl and StatVirus
You do realize this isn’t true? It’s not “faster YouTube loading”. The MCU handles ALL visualizations and performance of the display. So going forward as Tesla adds more features or increases the display demands it can create some performance issues that require them to use a more limited display or does create a slight performance difference.

While I agree it’s not a HUGE deal as it doesn’t change the vehicle performance, it has more impact than you are stating. If you want evidence look at Model 3 HW 2.5 vs 3 and the limits they place on HW 2.5 cars (they don’t show stop signs or street lights, etc)
No, I think we agree, it's just the video display. Of course that's more than youtubing; it's just an example. If I were planning to keep this car forever, it might be different. But I'm not because 4680s and all that that REALLY make a difference are just around the corner. So I'm going to keep this car a year or so and move up to the real order of magnitude upgrade.

That isn't his argument at all...
You do realize this isn’t true? It’s not “faster YouTube loading”. The MCU handles ALL visualizations and performance of the display. So going forward as Tesla adds more features or increases the display demands it can create some performance issues that require them to use a more limited display or does create a slight performance difference.

While I agree it’s not a HUGE deal as it doesn’t change the vehicle performance, it has more impact than you are stating. If you want evidence look at Model 3 HW 2.5 vs 3 and the limits they place on HW 2.5 cars (they don’t show stop signs or street lights, etc)

Then why is he bringing up the limits on HW2.5 vs HW3? That is FSD related and determines whether you can run FSD fully or not. All I read is it’s about visualizations but Tesla is going to out more demands on the so it will have to reduce/remove features from the car. If you are concerned about the visualizations then you aren’t driving. Who cares if the screen shows a stop sign or not. If you are relying on the screen to drive you are doing it wrong and illegally.

I don't game or youtube but I'm planning on driving this car for 5 yrs then giving it to my daughter...I'm pretty sure no matter what the chip is used for a newer faster chip will age better than not.
From a strictly UI perspective yes. In terms of the software and hardware that operates the driving portion of the car, no. Otherwise the original roadster and Model S wouldn’t be drivable today based on your reasoning.

Then why is he bringing up the limits on HW2.5 vs HW3? That is FSD related and determines whether you can run FSD fully or not. All I read is it’s about visualizations but Tesla is going to out more demands on the so it will have to reduce/remove features from the car. If you are concerned about the visualizations then you aren’t driving. Who cares if the screen shows a stop sign or not. If you are relying on the screen to drive you are doing it wrong and illegally.
Ummm. ok. Quite the stretch. But sure. You didn’t like my example and somehow that turned into me driving by looking at the display and not the road. Got it! I think… 🤣

Lets go back to the point. The MCU update to AMD handles not just youtube and games, but also screen responsiveness and processing capabilities which have an impact on the use and performance of the display. Which includes things such as the visualizations, but also items such as speed of HVAC control pop up’s, map refreshes, and as someone else noted lag between blind spot cameras (note: I do not nor have I ever driven solely by the use of blind spot cameras, nor do I recommend anyone else do so either. 😂)

Why is this Unfortunate? It’s always nice to have the latest and greatest but my poor 2021 with radar and intel Still runs and performs great. Just enjpy your car. take care
I have a LR rn and the intel runs great, upgrading to a 22 because of the insane resale but when you spend 60k on a car its nice to have the same specs that someone an hour later might get

I don't game or youtube but I'm planning on driving this car for 5 yrs then giving it to my daughter...I'm pretty sure no matter what the chip is used for a newer faster chip will age better than not.
That's 100% true. But what's also true is it will age orders of magnitude less well than a MYLR bought six months from now. (Or whenever the 4680s, etc, are the MLRY baseline.) So if you're concerned about the car aging better, chip or no chip this is probably the worst time possible to buy a Tesla because you're buying it literally only a few months or whatever before a seriously big step change in the car.

If 'aging well' is a high priority it seems to me your options are take the car now and turn it over in 18 months or whatever, or not take a car now at all.

My choice is take the car now, enjoy it for a year or so, then roll it over into the 'real' final destination car--one with 4680s, megacastings, battery pack MCU 3, FSD, maybe a tax credit, and whatever else forms the baseline for the 'series 2" and the next 10 years of incremental improvement after that.

My opinion is this is closest to the worst possible time to buy a Model Y, especially in terms of long-term ownership. So to me the best options are either not buy the car at all, or wait a year or so and buy the fully actualized 'series 2' Model Y. And the MCU on its own simply isn't it.

That's 100% true. But what's also true is it will age orders of magnitude less well than a MYLR bought six months from now. (Or whenever the 4680s, etc, are the MLRY baseline.) So if you're concerned about the car aging better, chip or no chip this is probably the worst time possible to buy a Tesla because you're buying it literally only a few months or whatever before a seriously big step change in the car.

If 'aging well' is a high priority it seems to me your options are take the car now and turn it over in 18 months or whatever, or not take a car now at all.

My choice is take the car now, enjoy it for a year or so, then roll it over into the 'real' final destination car--one with 4680s, megacastings, battery pack MCU 3, FSD, maybe a tax credit, and whatever else forms the baseline for the 'series 2" and the next 10 years of incremental improvement after that.

My opinion is this is closest to the worst possible time to buy a Model Y, especially in terms of long-term ownership. So to me the best options are either not buy the car at all, or wait a year or so and buy the fully actualized 'series 2' Model Y. And the MCU on its own simply isn't it.
Since this is my first Tesla.. really my first EV of any kind, I’m looking at this car more like a gateway drug. If it gets me hooked, I’ll be purchasing more later down the line anyway. 🤣

ahh I didn't specify I'm getting a model 3 not a Y

For those who debating whether superior ADM CPU vs Intel Atom wont have much difference I think is wrong. It should impact all CPU intensive tasks including Youtube page rendering and app startup times. Think of it as upgrading your laptop from Celeron/Atom to latest AMD Ryzen, the impact is very significant across the all CPU intensive tasks.

Since this is my first Tesla.. really my first EV of any kind, I’m looking at this car more like a gateway drug. If it gets me hooked, I’ll be purchasing more later down the line anyway. 🤣
For me the gateway drug was a Honda Clarity, a plug-in hybrid I bought a little over 3 years ago. Relative to most PHEVs it has great electric range--about 45 miles. I rarely drive more than that so effectively it made about 95% of my trips 'all electric'. And once I experienced that, I knew my next car had to be an EV.

I got a 1/18 Burbank pick up as well, moved from 1/14! Also was able to confirm my MYLR White/Black, 19" Gemini, no tow, no FSD, VIN NF356XXX. Build date was listed as 1/8. Will confirm the deets once the car is picked up!
Exciting! Hope we both get the upgrades and the 2 SA’s weren’t just BSing.
Would be a nice bump after waiting since July for the car and getting my EDD bumped back twice by Tesla - at this point I’d take whatever it is.
Mine is grey/black, 20”, no tow, no FSD, vin NF357***.

Reactions: Hvnleigh and xSCMx
Exciting! Hope we both get the upgrades and the 2 SA’s weren’t just BSing.
Would be a nice bump after waiting since July for the car and getting my EDD bumped back twice by Tesla - at this point I’d take whatever it is.
Mine is grey/black, 20”, no tow, no FSD, vin NF357***.
Same my EDD is 1/27 to 2/6 as of this morning. Going to take whatever it is also.

Reactions: 907XCP