Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AMD Ryzen UPDATE MODEL 3/Y? [retrofit speculation thread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s not happening. They’d have to redo the entire low voltage electrical system to handle 16v vs 12v. New li ion battery, any part that operates off of that would need to be swapped to one that can handle 16v. Most 12v parts fry at anything over 14v.

Im not a mod so does that make it ok for me to say with certainty?
Or a simple 12v-16v step up converter added to the MCU. They’re like 20 bucks full retail.

My point was that voltage isn’t the problem (quoted post said 16v vs 12v means they need to redo the electrical system).
They aren't just going to slap on a converter like that and create a janky hybrid system. Plus the 16V system likely gives them very stable voltage without a lot of noise (given there is a battery as buffer). If they wanted backwards compatibility they would have designed it in. It's clear they didn't, given Ryzen is exclusively tied to the 16V system.

Last edited:
Reactions: tm1v2
My point was that voltage isn’t the problem (quoted post said 16v vs 12v means they need to redo the electrical system).
Well since the power connector is different, how can you say with certainty that voltage isn’t the problem? Depending on how the system was engineered, it may all need to be on the same voltage for signaling so then you’d need a step up to 16v for the MCU then step downs at every part that is 12v. Not going to happen.

Don’t you think of it was possible and profitable, it would have been announced with the upgrade to AMD? The fact that it is a year later and not a word from Tesla should tell you something.

Well since the power connector is different, how can you say with certainty that voltage isn’t the problem? Depending on how the system was engineered, it may all need to be on the same voltage for signaling so then you’d need a step up to 16v for the MCU then step downs at every part that is 12v. Not going to happen.

Don’t you think of it was possible and profitable, it would have been announced with the upgrade to AMD? The fact that it is a year later and not a word from Tesla should tell you something.
Not doing it doesn’t mean it’s impossible, it could just be low priority. The atom still runs everything it needs to, so why would anyone want to upgrade right now even if Tesla offered? People willing to upgrade right now would be limited to hardcore in car gamers and people who use the web browser as their main source of mobile internet.

Not doing it doesn’t mean it’s impossible, it could just be low priority. The atom still runs everything it needs to, so why would anyone want to upgrade right now even if Tesla offered? People willing to upgrade right now would be limited to hardcore in car gamers and people who use the web browser as their main source of mobile internet.
Of course its not impossible. Just because someone could spend $100k to gut the car and rewire with the Model S system with dual screens doesn't mean it should be considered. Tesla isn't going to do it. That is enough of an answer. In fact, the recent question was if there were any updates. There are none which means Tesla isn't considering it. People have posted why. It is not possible in the real of the business world and as you stated, no one would likely pay for it even if it was possible.

Of course its not impossible. Just because someone could spend $100k to gut the car and rewire with the Model S system with dual screens doesn't mean it should be considered. Tesla isn't going to do it. That is enough of an answer. In fact, the recent question was if there were any updates. There are none which means Tesla isn't considering it. People have posted why. It is not possible in the real of the business world and as you stated, no one would likely pay for it even if it was possible.
As an owner of two mcu1 cars I would rather pay to jump to Ryzen then pay to move to intels currently dead model line.

Last edited:
Eh I’m not convinced 16v is an absolute requirement. Even if it is, the majority of the electronics did not change between the 12v (really 14.4v) and 16v cars. The only non-MCU item that appears to have actually changed is the windshield washer pump.

I would do the upgrade, the Atom on my Long range 2019 (Europe) is shitty as hell.
Can't play the games, it has frame drops.
Can't watch the Sentry images (except if I wait 2 long minutes to load)
Not even trying the multimedia (netflix, twitch...)
And the worst case,
I got frame drops with the rear camera, what got me to hit a wall at low speed and with no damage (luckely).

Should be mandatory by the regulators to have the possibility to upgrade.
When I contacted the Tesla service "we can't do nothing about it"

I would do the upgrade, the Atom on my Long range 2019 (Europe) is shitty as hell.
Can't play the games, it has frame drops.
Can't watch the Sentry images (except if I wait 2 long minutes to load)
Not even trying the multimedia (netflix, twitch...)
And the worst case,
I got frame drops with the rear camera, what got me to hit a wall at low speed and with no damage (luckely).

When I contacted the Tesla service "we can't do nothing about it"
another pity party

Of all the things I see posted here, this is right up there with being one of the most amusing.

"Regulators should make it mandatory that a car manufacturer offers the possibility of upgrading tech found in their new model cars to older ones" doesnt even look right when you type it out.

Reactions: richyrich
Yeah...I mean everything @sfrancois1988 complained about with MCU2 is absolutely true, but let's be real, none of us would even be talking about car manufactured supported upgrades like this if it weren't for Tesla going MUCH farther in such offerings than anyone else before, entirely on their own accord.

Sure I'd like a "free" MCU3 upgrade in my 2021 Model 3 too (has MCU2), and if I mentally squint enough I can see the backup cam frame drops being a very minor safety issue (how fast are you backing up??), but it's been that way since the car was new. It was that way in the demo Model 3's I test drove. There's no regression or early part failure or anything like that to justify a mass forced upgrade.

Forcing such an unnecessary cost on to automakers will only make cars more expensive in the long run, they'll have to price it into new car prices. I'm not in favor of that for anything besides true safety issues. I think if the backup cam frame drops are a safety issue for you, you're backing up too quickly. Slow down so you can react in time, same as if someone/pet/etc suddenly jumped behind you. (I certainly agree the MCU2 frame drops are annoying. Our MCU1 Model S backup cam is actually better, no frame drop issues and more accurate colors.)

Yeah...I mean everything @sfrancois1988 complained about with MCU2 is absolutely true, but let's be real, none of us would even be talking about car manufactured supported upgrades like this if it weren't for Tesla going MUCH farther in such offerings than anyone else before, entirely on their own accord.

Sure I'd like a "free" MCU3 upgrade in my 2021 Model 3 too (has MCU2), and if I mentally squint enough I can see the backup cam frame drops being a very minor safety issue (how fast are you backing up??), but it's been that way since the car was new. It was that way in the demo Model 3's I test drove. There's no regression or early part failure or anything like that to justify a mass forced upgrade.

Forcing such an unnecessary cost on to automakers will only make cars more expensive in the long run, they'll have to price it into new car prices. I'm not in favor of that for anything besides true safety issues. I think if the backup cam frame drops are a safety issue for you, you're backing up too quickly. Slow down so you can react in time, same as if someone/pet/etc suddenly jumped behind you. (I certainly agree the MCU2 frame drops are annoying. Our MCU1 Model S backup cam is actually better, no frame drop issues and more accurate colors.)
I have a 2021 and I haven't experienced frame drops that would be anywhere near a danger (or any noticeable frame drops really), although I back up very slowly.

Given he has a 2019, could it be possible his car is subject to the recall where the rear camera cable may be worn out and thus there would be much more serious signal losses?
Tesla Model 3 Recalled Because Trunk Can Cause Backup Camera to Fail

Reactions: jjrandorin
Yeah...I mean everything @sfrancois1988 complained about with MCU2 is absolutely true,

Not on my 2018 model 3 Performance it isnt. No frame drops that I have noticed anyway (but I will acknowledge I just may not notice them so they dont impact me), netflix works fine (and has worked since it was released as an app), I can watch Sentry videos and it doesnt take "2 minutes" to load.

Is all of it slower than my wifes model Y with ryzen? Yes, but its perfectly usable, in my car. Both of our experiences are anecdotal, of course.

I certainly dont have any issue with someone saying "Man Its slow for me" or "Man I wish I could upgrade", but "Regulators should make it mandatory...", no way, for all the reasons you said (im agreeing with all those points).

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and dmurphy
Interesting if your Model 3's backup cam is smoother. Ours has definitely improved with software updates within the past year (moreso than the year prior), but still not quite as consistently smooth as our old Model S.

I've never successfully played a sentry / dashcam video in the car because how long it takes to load is beyond my patience limit, and the one time I waited that long, it was still basically unusable and froze beyond my patience level again when I tried to seek or skip or something basic like that.

I find the recordings useful, I just access them solely by pulling the drive.

Gaming on MCU2 blows away gaming on MCU1! 😀 But I'm not much into that, I'm sure MCU3 is far better still but not a big deal to me either way. I get my car fun from the driving experience, and MCU2 vs MCU3 doesn't matter for that.

Interesting if your Model 3's backup cam is smoother. Ours has definitely improved with software updates within the past year (moreso than the year prior), but still not quite as consistently smooth as our old Model S.
I haven't noticed an improvement in backup camera smoothness, it always seemed fine, although I have a 2021 model that at the end of 2020, so perhaps things were different for the older model.
I've never successfully played a sentry / dashcam video in the car because how long it takes to load is beyond my patience limit, and the one time I waited that long, it was still basically unusable and froze beyond my patience level again when I tried to seek or skip or something basic like that.

I find the recordings useful, I just access them solely by pulling the drive.
I played around with it before in the car, but like you I don't have the patience to wait for it to load. I just pull the drive and put in in my laptop and it's a ton faster to look through. Tesla can probably design the UI similar to a file browser that shows all the individual 59 second clips instead and it'll probably work much more efficiently (although it won't seem like a single continuous video as the car UI tries to present it as).

Of all the things I see posted here, this is right up there with being one of the most amusing.

"Regulators should make it mandatory that a car manufacturer offers the possibility of upgrading tech found in their new model cars to older ones" doesnt even look right when you type it out.
Well in Europe all carmakers have to make it possible to repair the car at least 10 years by providing parts.
The issue with the "updates" of tesla, is that you can't have those "parts" anymore... (even for my Charging port that had to be replaced, they went to version 4.0... which made the bill from a part of 50$ to an invoice of 1500$)

And I'm not asking it for free, I'm asking to have the possibility to upgrade.

So yes regulators should make rules, because lets be honest the Updates in the tesla are so good as mandatory.

I didn't had any issue before they swapped my HW 2.5 to a HW3.0 capable at the same timeframe the update happened in Europe to see traffic lights...
Clearly the Update SW or HW triggered that issue.
And tesla service in Europe, lets be honest, is a big shame.

For the rear camera recall, I had it, they did the swap, sadly it didn't do the trick.
What sometimes helps is just a force reboot of the system.

But its not all negative, My screen doesn't become black as it used to be in early 2019. (while driving)