Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AMD Ryzen UPDATE MODEL 3/Y? [retrofit speculation thread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Loading an app 5x faster certainly does __not__ mean the clock is 5x faster. Cache, pipeline, instruction set, memory bandwidth, [performance of] integrated GPU, etc., and things like compiler optimizations aren't "tricks".
Well I guess is that switching on my seat heater will not be any faster. A faster CPU in a PC does not make
your email any faster. My guess is the AMD is a cutdown anyway, not the $500,version.

Just cause I'm lazy...has that been an issue for S and X built with MCU2? Or only ones with MCU2 retrofit? Any correlation with pre-Autopilot vs AP1 vs AP2.x?

Occasionally I wish I'd gone for the retrofit on my S. Still could I guess but already spent the $200 for the MCU1 LTE upgrade. On the flip side it's easy to come up with things I'd rather spend the $2000 on.

Now if Tesla were to start offering MCU3 upgrade for the S...that would be a nice jump! :)
It was some Model S ( and probably X also, but I didn’t read the X forum much) which were originally MCU1 that that the MCU2 retrofitted.

Tesla states retrofit “May” be option in future. Although meaningless, good to note.

Attachments

• 028D3DAD-ED07-4438-BCEB-BF7F8056C1BE.png
    028D3DAD-ED07-4438-BCEB-BF7F8056C1BE.png
    489.4 KB · Views: 287
Tesla states retrofit “May” be option in future. Although meaningless, good to note.

Thats a service advisor, thats what they are trained to say. If you asked them when there was going to be a 15k Model 2, they would give you an answer that says something like:

========================

" We do not currently offer this model. We may offer it in the future. In the meantime, you may purchase one of our existing vehicles by going to Tesla.com and searching for existing inventory. Thank you for accelerating the worlds transition to sustainable energy!"

========================

So, yeah, 100% meaningless from them.

@MrAwd7 That SA is not lying when they say "may be available in the future" - that's the literal truth. Even if Tesla has no plans or intention of a retrofit now, that may change in the future, they could change their minds.

But there is no indication Tesla currently has any plans or intention for a retrofit, and there are signs of the opposite, that they've made a conscious, deliberate decision not to offer a retrofit (for now).

Unless people start having stability issues with the Intel setup, there will be no demand to pay $2500+ for an upgrade. That is why Tesla isn't planning to offer one. This also means they aren't planning to upgrade the software to a point that would make the Intel version obsolete. That would mean that all cars from 2010-2021 would need upgrades to run that software.

• Funny
Reactions: dburkland
Unless people start having stability issues with the Intel setup, there will be no demand to pay $2500+ for an upgrade. That is why Tesla isn't planning to offer one. This also means they aren't planning to upgrade the software to a point that would make the Intel version obsolete. That would mean that all cars from 2010-2021 would need upgrades to run that software.
It is a dark side of moon issue. Now where did I put my TNT

Unless you work for Tesla hard to make this statement, well yes it may be unlikely as me getting a Lambo
from my partner, but lets not over state your ideas. You are an MOD.
It’s not happening. They’d have to redo the entire low voltage electrical system to handle 16v vs 12v. New li ion battery, any part that operates off of that would need to be swapped to one that can handle 16v. Most 12v parts fry at anything over 14v.

Im not a mod so does that make it ok for me to say with certainty?

I have to agree with a lot of posts on here. I don’t see it being cost effective for a Ryzen upgrade to happen. It also seems like the general population of owners don’t even know the difference between an Intel based car vs. an AMD/Ryzen based car. Only seems to be a topic amongst enthusiast or well versed Tesla owners.