Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AMD Ryzen UPDATE MODEL 3/Y? [retrofit speculation thread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla Model Y Performance in China is now shipping with the AMD RYZEN processing similar to what we see on the Model S/X refresh. It seems like quite a large improvement to fluidity and speed overall.

Do you guys think current Model 3/Y owners on the original MCU will be offered a premium upgrade for the new processing unit similar to the $2500 upgrade on old Model S/X models, or will this new system be too different to properly be installed into the current United States vehicles being delivered? Let’s talk about it!

EPC listing in the UK thread.

My bet is no paid upgrade but that Tesla stops restocking the previous version and eventually uses the Ryzen for older warranty work.

I also bet the connectors are identical.
Thank you for this! This seems promising, hopefully someday it could be the case. Either way not going to wait on it to take delivery this month as it could take a long while before it is widespread in the US!

i'm guessing there is some setting in tesla toolbox 3 that can force a firmware redeploy after swapping the AMD Ryzen MCU, similar to what mobile service does to the HW2.5 cars when they buy FSD.

Of course its possible to upgrade. Likely it will be official. Possible it will coincide with bump in FSD price.

On that note, does anyone know exactly what the process is for (diy) upgrading MCU from HW2.5 to HW3?

Reactions: HarpoonS
Realistically what are the benefits to a better MCU? Are we talking just snappier UI, or tangible autopilot improvements?
Tbh while the current MCU in the Model 3 is pretty good, it could definitely be a whole lot faster and I mean hey it would be free for those taking deliveries with the change included. Good for future proofing and additional future features in general.

i've heard the base autopilot is better with HW3 vs HW2.5. Ryzen will bring better visuals and a faster cpu which could indirectly affect performance of the autopilot, but the actual autopilot processing is more or less the same on HW3+ vehicles. Assuming a car has HW2.5, and after this part is more widespread in new models, decides to get the upgrade: Full Self-Driving Computer Installations , potentially the upgrade is $1000.

I think the likelihood of Tesla offering an upgrade to the AMD processor is slim and none. Given chip shortage they will likely include it only in new cars. How they decide which cars to use Intel vs AMD processor is unclear and probably depends on supply availability.

Tesla to Likely Offer AMD Ryzen Processor Retrofit for Model 3 & Y Later this Year​

Tesla to Likely Offer AMD Ryzen Processor Retrofit for Model 3 & Y Later this Year​

This is a story whose only source is.... another story.... which itself just describes having gotten the rumor from...unnamed sources...

I mean, at such point at they're able to obtain extra supply it's certainly like free money for Tesla, so there's a good business case... but given they're already months backordered on new vehicles, and about to start ramping 2 more factories that'll need to be fed with MCUs, I wouldn't exactly hold my breath.

If offered, I would certainly upgrade (My 1st PC was a NEC Powermate AT class machine circa 1983) 😀

With chip, supply chain problems and new car priority, it will be at least a year before a package is available...

And by then, Moore's Law will determine what's what. Ain't technology great?

MCUs 1 and 2 were both used for about 4.5-5 years, I don't think MCU3 will be remotely near to out of date a year from now if that's when they become available.

That, and honestly outside of running high end games, you're hitting heavily diminishing returns anyway much beyond it.

Reactions: CarlThompson

Do I need MCU 3? No. Do I want it: YES! The whole UI is snappier as well as browsing. I hardly game in the car, but streaming and web browsing improvements would be welcomed. In this vid, he's on Wifi, but entertainment on MCU 2 is sluggish on Wifi as well. I wish they had moved on from the
Atom earlier. It's always been a bottom of the barrel chip.