Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ampol AmpCharge network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Southbound at Pheasants Nest is well underway.

Northbound is a muddy pit.
Southbound at Pheasants Nest is now open. Ampol updated its entry on PlugShare a few minutes ago.

Screenshot_20230626_123650_AmpCharge.jpg

A few photos added to Plugshare - canopies with solar panels and a wooden looking structure.

Southbound at Pheasants Nest is now open. Ampol updated its entry on PlugShare a few minutes ago.

I really don’t like how the backend to these Apps describe the total number of plugs to be “available” to be the total number of plugs. In this case, 9/9 available. That implies 9 cars can charge there simultaneously, which is not the case. Is it 3, 4 or 6?

The App should report the number of connections that are in use against the total number that the site can charge simultaneously. For Tesla superchargers, that is the number of plugs, but for everyone else, it is not.

I don‘t know how others feel, but I find the current occupancy and capacity reporting both confusing and misleading.

Are you sure? I checked a couple of hours ago and again now. Both times, one of the Chademo plugs was being used, simultaneously with a CCS2 plug. Might be coincidence, but there aren’t that many Chademo vehicles around. More likely the use of that CCS2 plug took the Chademo offline. Or it’s just broken.
I admit, I could br wrong, but I’m basing it on the same hardware as installed in other places where they can all be used at once.

I can’t make out the parking layout but it could be they’ve intentionally limited simultaneous use if there are fewer spaces than cables?

I admit, I could br wrong, but I’m basing it on the same hardware as installed in other places where they can all be used at once.

I can’t make out the parking layout but it could be they’ve intentionally limited simultaneous use if there are fewer spaces than cables?

From the pictures on plugshare there are three spaces in front of each charger but the centre one has a bollard so is unusable.

Thus 2 spaces/users for each charger for a total of 6 available at any time.

It doesn’t look like there are 9 marked parking spaces within reach of the cables… but if it’s true this site can do 9 cars at once, then that would make it the equal second largest DCFC in the country, which is a little bit extraordinary.

It doesn’t look like there are 9 marked parking spaces within reach of the cables… but if it’s true this site can do 9 cars at once, then that would make it the equal second largest DCFC in the country, which is a little bit extraordinary.
That doesn't seem right. AFAIK the largest are currently:

=1. Box Hill Supercharger (12)
=1. Campbelltown Supercharger (12)
3. Macquarie Park Supercharger (10)
4. Indooroopilly Supercharger (9)

So it'd be equal 4th largest (sounds like it's 6 spots, though).

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok
These cables look long enough to reach an adjacent space. I pull that stunt all the time.

When it's the middle of the night at regional charging stations like Sutton Forest Northbound or North Goulburn Gateway, I'll often park one space over if there's a risk I'll fall asleep while charging. I'll always set a timer alarm on my phone, sure, but sleeping through those is fairly easy. So I'll add a PlugShare comment to the effect of "please make yourself known if you'd also like to charge". If someone knocks on my window, all I have to do is reach for the touchscreen, unlock the port, suggest they unplug it, and go back to sleep. Being one space over means there's no need to move my car.

Hopefully idle fees will only apply when the site is busy ;-)

Anyway, back on topic, if someone can reach a cable to a vacant third space during the day, and invite two other EVs present to plug in (not that CHAdeMO EVs are known for road tripping), we can find out :)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Vostok and Chuq
If they can actually deliver 150kW (and possibly 300kW later) to Tesla's then $0.69/kWh isn't that bad.

Tesla Exeter down the road is $0.66/kWh
I always thought since supercharges only charge you for the energy actually put into the battery it is always better to go with supercharges if all else being equal (not sure how much a difference it makes though eg battery heating). But yes agreed a few cents per kWh probably doesn't make too much of a difference.

It's a great location for short range Leafs.They may not do huge road trips, but this expands the city a bit for a city car. It will be very important to those that use it. One would have been enough though
While it would, the fact that there are six parking spaces and six CCS connectors means that it doesn't matter how many Chademo connectors there are. It's not like the disparity is preventing CCS cars from charging since the number of spaces is the same as the total number of CCS connectors. (i.e. a Chademo car charging does not disadvantage you any more than if the car was CCS)

Reactions: Hairyman