Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Android 13 update phone key not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife's Pixel 6A is occasionally not unlocking or letting her drive with the phone key. It does work with using the phone's NFC feature and using it as a key card on the B pillar and using it behind the cupholder to drive. After she arrived home, I tried it myself with her phone. I turned on/off Airplane mode and I was still NOT able to drive. It's a bit irritating. Other days, it goes fine without issues.
I dont know if she's on Android 13 or 12 (I can check, but doesnt seem to matter). I've already allowed the Tesla app to use battery unrestricted

Reactions: TezzyM3
I am having the same issue with Samsung Galaxy S22 running Android 13.
There is a work around mentioned in the troubleshoot section where is says that enable airplane mode and then disable airplane mode. That seems to be a workaround for now to fix the issue and the phone starts working as a key again.

I am having the same issue with Samsung Galaxy S22 running Android 13.
There is a work around mentioned in the troubleshoot section where is says that enable airplane mode and then disable airplane mode. That seems to be a workaround for now to fix the issue and the phone starts working as a key again.
Just updated my Samsung Galaxy S20+ to Android 13 and toggling flight mode temporarily fixes it for me. What a pain.

My Pixel 4a did it as soon as I upgraded to Android 13. My Pixel 7 I just got yesterday has already done it. I'm afraid we'll have to wait on Google for a fix for this one, and not sure how high on the priority list a mild inconvenience for some random Tesla owners will be.

Been following this thread for a while. For the past month or so my bluetooth key would disconnect multiple times a day. Very frustrating. Other bluetooth items, such as my garmin watch and a blood pressure monitor would not work properly as well. Constant phone reboots or airplane mode toggles to fix. I've always had an Android smartphone, starting with the Motorola Droid, and my current phone is a Pixel 6a that has been on Android 13 since release. I told my wife four days ago I'm factory resetting my phone, and if that does not fix the issues I'm buying an Iphone. I was tired of dealing with it. However, since the factory reset everything has been rock solid. Hopefully it will remain that way. Factory resets are a pain in the ass, but it seems to have fixed the issue for me. Knock on wood..... YMMV

On Samsung Galaxy S22 running Android 13. Updated latest app on Google play store fixed it for me. Phone key kept disconnecting and having to turn on and off Bluetooth to get it to work, but the latest update seemed to have fixed it for me.

I am on 2022.40.2 and a Samsung Flip3Z (Android 13). Had the phone key for over a year working, for the most part, well. This week stopped working. Did a reinstall of app, paired/unpaired everything, etc. No when in the app it asks to pair the key. After "searching" it goes to "connecting to vehicle" for 30 seconds and then fails. It will not pair my phone anymore as a key. Thoughts?

ETA: Set my wife's phone up in 30 seconds - no issues. So it is definitely something on my phone. Our security settings are very similar (if not the same).

Last edited:
I am on 2022.40.2 and a Samsung Flip3Z (Android 13). Had the phone key for over a year working, for the most part, well. This week stopped working. Did a reinstall of app, paired/unpaired everything, etc. No when in the app it asks to pair the key. After "searching" it goes to "connecting to vehicle" for 30 seconds and then fails. It will not pair my phone anymore as a key. Thoughts?

ETA: Set my wife's phone up in 30 seconds - no issues. So it is definitely something on my phone. Our security settings are very similar (if not the same).
Did your phone just go thru an update of some sort? my Fold 4 just updated on Wed and since then the key and and walk away lock does not work, samsungs answer is try and do a phone reset, this infuriates me. everything worked great before the forced update and now they want me to wipe all my stuff to fix it.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Did your phone just go thru an update of some sort? my Fold 4 just updated on Wed and since then the key and and walk away lock does not work, samsungs answer is try and do a phone reset, this infuriates me. everything worked great before the forced update and now they want me to wipe all my stuff to fix it.

Yes on the update.

Not resetting.

wish we could opt out on the "helpful" updates, I dug out my old note 20 and am going to try and move everything over and then factory reboot, and see if it works.
i shouldn't have to do all that, its BS. but I love using the phone key and I have the auto presenting doors that no longer work either.

I will let you be the guinea pig on this one. If it works, I may try.

Same here on a Fold 3. We just got Android 13 a week or so ago and it has been going in and out. Now I tried to reset everything but it won't connect after searching.
you did a complete phone wipe and restore? or just what I did,
wiped the app cache,
wiped the app data,
uninstalled the app,
deleted the car from the phones bluetooth,
deleted the phone from the key section on car and on cars bluetooth

then
rebooted car (double wheel scroll)
restarted phone
reinstalled the app
logged back into tesla app
then tried to add phone key only to car a could not pair error

the phone will pair to normal bluetooth and phone calls work as well as messages, but it will not connect as key.

you did a complete phone wipe and restore? or just what I did,
wiped the app cache,
wiped the app data,
uninstalled the app,
deleted the car from the phones bluetooth,
deleted the phone from the key section on car and on cars bluetooth

then
rebooted car (double wheel scroll)
restarted phone
reinstalled the app
logged back into tesla app
then tried to add phone key only to car a could not pair error

the phone will pair to normal bluetooth and phone calls work as well as messages, but it will not connect as key.

I have done those steps a couple times. Once it connected key but did not finish fully. Had to delete key.

I had a few false starts, but I think the thing that actually resulted in success was forgetting the car in my bluetooth settings and pairing again using the car's bluetooth menu.

The things I actually did were to:
  1. delete the key in the car
  2. forget the car in the car security section of the app (click image of key card then forget car)
  3. forget the car in phone BT
  4. Reboot phone and car (hold thumb wheels until screen goes black)
  5. Put phone in BT search mode and use car BT menu to connect to phone (gives a pin you confirm on phone)
  6. Accept all permission requests about contacts and whatnot
  7. Add the key from the security section of the Tesla app
Again, I'm pretty sure the only thing I really had to do was forget the car in BT and re-pair.
Nope, I tried that and no luck. I'm going to try your full press method now. I wonder if Tesla is working on a fix with Google.

Could this be related to the Android System Intelligence app? After the latest update, mine now says that this app is no longer compatible with my device. It cannot be updated either. I am also getting a notification that it wants to know my location at all times.

Could this be related to the Android System Intelligence app? After the latest update, mine now says that this app is no longer compatible with my device. It cannot be updated either. I am also getting a notification that it wants to know my location at all times.
from the research I have been doing it seems the update is a security patch

I think this patch has broken the BLE (bluetooth Low Energy) that the tesla app uses to communicate with the car. regular bluetooth works and so does the WIFI that I can use the app and click the unlock button and open the truck and frunk, but it does not open the doors on my X like it used to. I am guessing that is part of the BLE communications too.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
so here is my work around at least until tomorrow,( tomorrow I have an appointment with a repair facility that samsung is sending me to)

for anyone that has a samsung watch, there is an app I downloaded a while ago that works well over wifi to the car to lock and unlock and set climate from the watch. they recently came out with another app that works as a bluetooth key.
app for car wifi is Watt Time
app for bluetooth key is Watt Key

THE APPS ARE NOT FREE, but its around $20 total for the 2 apps,

the watch now works for me as a key, so until I get the phone issue solved at least for $20 I got it fixed and I kinda like that I can do it all from my watch now too.

Reactions: SamGr