Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Android Auto and/or Apple CarPlay, please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is that, for smartphones, those two USB ports only provide power. They do not allow you to play music on the smartphone through the car's speakers, for example.
Perhaps a future firmware update will change that.

We do know these are actual USB ports for the center touchscreen computer, though. They are not just connected to power. (You can play music off a USB drive, and it was possible to connect a keyboard and mouse, at least in the past.)

So I'm pretty sure a software update is all that is necessary.

Wireless CarPlay is supposed to be possible with iOS 9.

It is, though wifi-direct is required. I don't believe even the new wireless modules are capable of this, though would happily be wrong. Additionally, likely hardware certification for Apple control and licensing fee

- - - Updated - - -

Oh. So old cars will never get it then.

possible, though likely cost and labor prohibitive as it would require new hw

It is, though wifi-direct is required. I don't believe even the new wireless modules are capable of this, though would happily be wrong. Additionally, likely hardware certification for Apple control and licensing fee

- - - Updated - - -

possible, though likely cost and labor prohibitive as it would require new hw
Ok, screw iOS! How 'bout some love for Android users for once?

Apple's authentication chip is not expensive. It basically involves a one-time large sum and smallish license fee.

Why do I know that? A couple of my friends tried to get a license for it for a DIY device. The price turned out to be prohibitive for a hobbyist, but for a large company it's nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, screw iOS! How 'bout some love for Android users for once?
How about: AndroidAuto - YouTube - soon to be accessible on the central console for jailbroken cars :)

- - - Updated - - -

I've never used Android Auto or Apple CarPlay but my understanding is that it requires your phone to be plugged in through a cable. So even if that was the case, that would mean current Tesla owners are SOL.
Android Auto can work over WiFi direct. I don't know yet if Tesla's WiFi module supports it, but retrofitting it shouldn't be expensive in any case.

There's also an option to use a full-blown AP mode and initiate AAuto over Bluetooth or NFC. But I haven't yet figured out how it works.

How about: AndroidAuto - YouTube - soon to be accessible on the central console for jailbroken cars :)

I posted there, but I'm interested to know more about that persons' project. Any info ?

Android Auto can work over WiFi direct. I don't know yet if Tesla's WiFi module supports it, but retrofitting it shouldn't be expensive in any case.

There's also an option to use a full-blown AP mode and initiate AAuto over Bluetooth or NFC. But I haven't yet figured out how it works.

Yes, I've had AA over WifiDirect working for some time on my Android(R) Headunit app for AA (see XDA).

Last I looked AA does not work over Bluetooth, and BT does not have the bandwidth needed for audio and H.264 video at the same time anyway. Same with Apple CarPlay (which also works over Wifi with latest code, though VW was barred from demo-ing it at CES by Apple.)

NFC also does not have the bandwidth needed.

NFC IS used to trigger AA over WifiDirect. The HU has a passive tag that says "Android Auto(R)" and that triggers the phone running AA to connect to the HU.

I'd be happy to look into ways to get AA on Teslas if anyone had one to lend me for a few months. ;)

Otherwise, I'll just keep working on the common 7-10" tablets my Headunit app is targetted at.

This code is 100% my personal code, written from scratch (well, apart from libraries of course). I'm considering open sourcing it once I have it running on my Tesla (or if it can help anybody else). And I should have been more specific - Bluetooth is not used as a transport, but as a trigger for a WiFi link just like NFC. The advantage is that it can work with the full Access Point mode (the head unit being the access point). I have no idea how it works, though.

Hmm, your name sounds familiar - look in your outbox for Aleksei Besogonov :) Your XDA thread provided me the initial clue that AA uses protobufs for message payload and SSL for encryption. That saved me _tons_ of reverse engineering time!

I don't claim to be any sort of expert on this, but the wikipedia page on Wi-Fi Direct says that only one side needs to be compliant. Not sure what's required of the other side. I recall that Tesla was considering rolling out tethering, at one point, so I'm pretty sure every Model S has the hardware to act as an access point. Is that enough to support CarPlay and Android Auto wirelessly? I have no idea.

This code is 100% my personal code, written from scratch (well, apart from libraries of course). I'm considering open sourcing it once I have it running on my Tesla (or if it can help anybody else). And I should have been more specific - Bluetooth is not used as a transport, but as a trigger for a WiFi link just like NFC. The advantage is that it can work with the full Access Point mode (the head unit being the access point). I have no idea how it works, though.

Hmm, your name sounds familiar - look in your outbox for Aleksei Besogonov :) Your XDA thread provided me the initial clue that AA uses protobufs for message payload and SSL for encryption. That saved me _tons_ of reverse engineering time!

Oh, OK. :) I didn't realize that was your video.

As I posted there, AFAIK, I'm the only one who's publicly released info/source on AA protocol. It seems a shame to work independently when we might collaborate instead. Email me if interested.

I didn't see BT as an alternative to NFC when I last looked at the code, but that was back around June. Makes some sense considering that there are devices that don't have NFC. Only BT connection I was aware of was for audio and phone calls.

I came here looking to see if I should pre-order a Model 3 in March and got sucked into the infotainment discussion. So I don't know much about Tesla that I didn't read over a few hours this weekend.

Is there discussion about rooting the Tesla ? I've only seen the Ethernet thread and I'm also seeing that Tesla isn't too happy with "hacking". I can't imagine many people would want to root.

I thought about pumping the video from some HW into the browser, but I see video is banned there. Maybe via rear view camera video ?

Starting to think it'd be more productive to convince Tesla to support Apple CarPlay and Android Auto officially. $100k technology car without these in 2016 ?? !!

I can see that Tesla might not want to partner with these "world's most valuable companies" that want to create their own electric self driving cars. I'd mention poaching engineers but EM says they're the fired ones. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I don't claim to be any sort of expert on this, but the wikipedia page on Wi-Fi Direct says that only one side needs to be compliant. Not sure what's required of the other side. I recall that Tesla was considering rolling out tethering, at one point, so I'm pretty sure every Model S has the hardware to act as an access point. Is that enough to support CarPlay and Android Auto wirelessly? I have no idea.

Android has been supporting WifiDirect since Android 4.0 in late 2011, and some devices had it earlier. So I think most common Wifi chips have supported it since at least 2011, though possibly needing some software to use it.

Oh, OK. :) I didn't realize that was your video.
Is there discussion about rooting the Tesla ? I've only seen the Ethernet thread and I'm also seeing that Tesla isn't too happy with "hacking". I can't imagine many people would want to root.
If you haven't seen it then, you may want to read into the hacking thread. I don't think he (wk057) discusses specifically how, but he's certainly done it.

Let the hacking begin... (Model S parts on the bench)

What a disappointment that a "major" overhaul in the user interface does not produce the level of integration with Apple and Android that I just received buying my 16 y.o. daughter a Hyundai Elantra. The Elantra has Apple Carplay and simply plugging the phone in seemlessly integrates the phone and eliminates all these voice/audio issues that have not been addressed in version 8. It also adds Spotify and voice texting. How does a $16K car have this and not the MS??? It's mind boggling, and as much as I love the car (delivered in June 2015), I will be tempted to move away from it when my lease ends in 2018 if they don't correct this lack of smartphone integration. It's really inexcusable.

A lot of less expensive car models have things that Tesla doesn't offer.

Here's 1 example - Blind spot monitoring on the side mirrors. Which genius decided to put the blind spot monitoring in the instrument/cluster panel? Nobody looks at the instrument panel when you are trying to switch lanes. You look at your side mirrors. Hello?!?!

Telsa's cars are supposed to have the newest technology, right? The designs seem to have fallen just a bit short.

All the newer technologies should have been included in the 1st generation Model S. But no, they are slowly introducing them to the next gen models instead. It's like Apple - they already have the designs and ideas what they want to do, but they only include the new designs into the new phone one at a time during the phone release. It's their way of making $$$ and to stay in business. If you included everything, the newest and greatest design, into one phone release, you will run out of ideas quick and lose on making more $$$. This is all about smart business and making $$$.

What a disappointment that a "major" overhaul in the user interface does not produce the level of integration with Apple and Android that I just received buying my 16 y.o. daughter a Hyundai Elantra. The Elantra has Apple Carplay and simply plugging the phone in seemlessly integrates the phone and eliminates all these voice/audio issues that have not been addressed in version 8. It also adds Spotify and voice texting. How does a $16K car have this and not the MS??? It's mind boggling, and as much as I love the car (delivered in June 2015), I will be tempted to move away from it when my lease ends in 2018 if they don't correct this lack of smartphone integration. It's really inexcusable.

• Disagree
Reactions: DriverOne
All the newer technologies should have been included in the 1st generation Model S. But no, they are slowly introducing them to the next gen models instead. It's like Apple - they already have the designs and ideas what they want to do, but they only include the new designs into the new phone one at a time during the phone release. It's their way of making $$$ and to stay in business. If you included everything, the newest and greatest design, into one phone release, you will run out of ideas quick and lose on making more $$$. This is all about smart business and making $$$.

In the case of Apple, I would agree.

But in the case of Tesla, I think it is more the 'ship early and ship often' approach. They could wait years until they have all the features, or they could just ship and add the features over time. They chose the former.