Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Android Auto with TeslAA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ngng

Jul 23, 2018
Bay Area
While it isn't perfect, I'm impressed with how far the developer was able to take it. For $5, I'm more than happy to support the continued development.

The app uses your phone to encode the video output and stream it over a local VPN. The browser is as responsive, if not more responsive than the OEM map lol. Audio input works well too. I have the resolution set to 1080 @ 170 dpi.

Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 11.04.39 PM.png

I have used this on a model S with the mcu2 upgrade, only issues so far is after about 20-30 min the music playback seems to falter and stutter and the screen size is off. I haven't narrowed that down yet. I will try your dpi setting and see if that helps me out. On a model Y I haven't messed with it enough to know why but it hasn't worked yet. Very neat use of the system though.

@ngng Thanks for sharing this. I followed the thread a while back but just tried it out today. It worked much better than I would have guessed. Basically no issues once I got everything set up and went for a ~30 minute test drive (including getting in/out of the car a couple times). Pretty cool. Not sure if I'll keep it going since I find the Tesla services adequate for the most part, but definitely worth $5 just for the tech demo. It might take 30 seconds to get everything connected, but I did find that it enabled the phone hotspot and got everything running without touching anything as long as I left car audio set to 'phone' and kept the browser up. Pixel 4XL here.

@ngng Thanks for sharing this. I followed the thread a while back but just tried it out today. It worked much better than I would have guessed. Basically no issues once I got everything set up and went for a ~30 minute test drive (including getting in/out of the car a couple times). Pretty cool. Not sure if I'll keep it going since I find the Tesla services adequate for the most part, but definitely worth $5 just for the tech demo. It might take 30 seconds to get everything connected, but I did find that it enabled the phone hotspot and got everything running without touching anything as long as I left car audio set to 'phone' and kept the browser up. Pixel 4XL here.

i agree it has gotten better over time and also agree that i don't use it for my day to day driving, but it's nice to have the option. for the few bucks, i'm totally fine paying to support continued development.