Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TESLAA - Android Auto for Tesla App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there. I just purchased tried this app yesterday. It's a slick program and works very well. I really like the ability to use Android Auto as well as the other accessible android apps within my Tesla. The one question I had though....is with Google Assistant as the default voice command, is there a way to engage Navigate On Autopilot? Eg) double click microphone button to engage Tesla voice control over Google Assistant? Thanks in advance.

The one question I had though....is with Google Assistant as the default voice command, is there a way to engage Navigate On Autopilot? Eg) double click microphone button to engage Tesla voice control over Google Assistant?
I've not noticed any exclusivity between the apps, assuming the voice inputs are not used simultaneously. Tesla voice commands nicely coexist with TeslAA/AA commands.

I tried teslaa today.. I'm not sure I'll keep using it.. couple of problems:

1. It keeps staling and flashing on and off, which is pretty annoying when trying to navigate using it.
2. The screen layout seems fixed unless there's something I've completely missed.. 1/4 of the screen dedicated to the weather.. given the screen is already small due to having to fit into the tesla browser space is seems pretty wasteful. Waze suffers a lot from that, being stuck in the top half of the screen.
3. When you add a new app you have to reboot the phone and manually reconnect everything.. teslaa doesn't seem to ever ask the phone if there are new apps unless you do that.

I tried teslaa today.. I'm not sure I'll keep using it.. couple of problems:

1. It keeps staling and flashing on and off, which is pretty annoying when trying to navigate using it.
2. The screen layout seems fixed unless there's something I've completely missed.. 1/4 of the screen dedicated to the weather.. given the screen is already small due to having to fit into the tesla browser space is seems pretty wasteful. Waze suffers a lot from that, being stuck in the top half of the screen.
3. When you add a new app you have to reboot the phone and manually reconnect everything.. teslaa doesn't seem to ever ask the phone if there are new apps unless you do that.
2. Press the icon for the app tabthe bottom you want to become full screen

I've not noticed any exclusivity between the apps, assuming the voice inputs are not used simultaneously. Tesla voice commands nicely coexist with TeslAA/AA commands.
Are you able to clarify how you engage Tesla Navigation via voice? When I press the microphone button on the steering wheel - Google Assistant is the default voice command. How are you able to engage the Tesla Voice command to use Navigate On Autopilot. (eg) I said "Navigate Home" - which was processed by Android Auto - not Tesla Navigation. Thanks

Are you able to clarify how you engage Tesla Navigation via voice?
I don't recall seeing any setting like that. When I press the Tesla button, it beeps, I say "navigate to...", and the Tesla map does so.

The way I talk to Teslaa is to press the microphone button on the Teslaa app on the Tesla screen. I then just say an address and the app recognizes it. Same microphone, different app/process. I could do a 30 second video if this isn't clear.

You are able to get a Google response via the Tesla talk button on the steering wheel? If you turn your phone off, does it revert to the Tesla voice app?

Reactions: jun3280net
I just installed this yesterday and barely played around with it, but it appears to work pretty well. I love using Waze for road trips, to get traffic/speed trap alerts.

As the audio is going through bluetooth, does anyone notice the typical 2 sec. lag you get? I didn't play with it along enough, but it appears there was a lag. Is there to hardwire it so audio isn't going through bluetooth, or is that the only way to route audio to the Tesla from a phone? Or maybe it's an issue on my end with the bluetooth handshake that is causing the latency/lag.

I don't recall seeing any setting like that. When I press the Tesla button, it beeps, I say "navigate to...", and the Tesla map does so.

The way I talk to Teslaa is to press the microphone button on the Teslaa app on the Tesla screen. I then just say an address and the app recognizes it. Same microphone, different app/process. I could do a 30 second video if this isn't clear.

You are able to get a Google response via the Tesla talk button on the steering wheel? If you turn your phone off, does it revert to the Tesla voice app?
After some fiddling around/reboot, your description of how things should work is correct. I can confirm, pressing the microphone button on the steering wheel still initiates the Tesla Voice Command, and Navigate On Autopilot works as it should. If you say "OK Google" it hands over the command to Google Assistant, and you can specify your destination to to Android Auto. Works very well. Android Assistant is definitely more capable in terms of understanding the user requests/destination names.

Thank you

Reactions: KArnold and goRt
I just installed this yesterday and barely played around with it, but it appears to work pretty well. I love using Waze for road trips, to get traffic/speed trap alerts.

As the audio is going through bluetooth, does anyone notice the typical 2 sec. lag you get? I didn't play with it along enough, but it appears there was a lag. Is there to hardwire it so audio isn't going through bluetooth, or is that the only way to route audio to the Tesla from a phone? Or maybe it's an issue on my end with the bluetooth handshake that is causing the latency/lag.
On long journeys I turn blue tooth off on my phone. The Waze navigation instructions come through the phone's speaker.

I have to remember to lock the car myself when I do this. So not perfect but suits my needs.

Does anyone know how to get rid of weather and Spotify info, so I can maximise the waze app? Thanks :)
20230414_161929.jpg

I wish TeslaAA would put audio through the browser.. it'd make setup much simpler & I could run less on the phone so preserve battery.

There is another project, Home - Tesla Android Project which does audio that way, so it's possible, but that one needs quite an investment in hardware..(can't get Pi4s without paying a scalper these days, and there's the cost of the separate LTE connection..).