Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TESLAA - Android Auto for Tesla App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With my Pixel 5, 1080 @ 170 dpi works well. The developer suggested making 10 dpi changes and restarting until you find a combo that works.
Related ... saw this on play google: TeslAA for Android Auto™ - Apps on Google Play
February 24, 2023
I was considering getting one of those HUD units from Amazon to get AA in my M3, but was balking at the installation. I thought that this would be a compromised solution. But it's not bad at all. I had trouble getting it display correctly and changing the resolution and DPI was not having much effect until I figured out the process. For every change to be tested, force close the app, start the app, change the resolution and dpi, select "start service manually" in the app. For me, 1080p/200

I wish TeslaAA would put audio through the browser.. it'd make setup much simpler & I could run less on the phone so preserve battery.

There is another project, Home - Tesla Android Project which does audio that way, so it's possible, but that one needs quite an investment in hardware..(can't get Pi4s without paying a scalper these days, and there's the cost of the separate LTE connection..).
Did not get the audio on mine and I thought I did something in the settings. So you cant get waze audio at all?

Did not get the audio on mine and I thought I did something in the settings. So you cant get waze audio at all?
TeslaAA uses the phone's bluetooth. That works, but it means you can't use the internal music apps and you're drawing lots of power from the phone to play music on the phone (Tidal is about 30% of battery usage when TeslaAA is active, and TeslaAA is almost that much again, which totals enough that the wireless charger can't charge the phone fast enough to avoid running out of battery & you have to putz around with wires).

TeslaAA uses the phone's bluetooth. That works, but it means you can't use the internal music apps and you're drawing lots of power from the phone to play music on the phone (Tidal is about 30% of battery usage when TeslaAA is active, and TeslaAA is almost that much again, which totals enough that the wireless charger can't charge the phone fast enough to avoid running out of battery & you have to putz around with wires).
Thanks a lot for the clear information. Much appreciated it :)

Just downloaded today for my model y. I'm using Samsung s23 ultra. It connect and everything worked. But as soon as I move to reverse or drive it disconnect and show me the screen that tell me connect to my phone hot spot. Once I put it in park then it auto connect again. Anyone know a fix for it? Thanks in advance.

When you put the car in gear, it disables WiFi on the car. So after shifting to "D", hit the WiFi icon on the car's screen and enable it again.

I also use the S23 and it works great. It automatically turns on my phone's Hotspot, connects to BT, and plays whatever music I last had active in the phone through the car.

When you put the car in gear, it disables WiFi on the car. So after shifting to "D", hit the WiFi icon on the car's screen and enable it again.

I also use the S23 and it works great. It automatically turns on my phone's Hotspot, connects to BT, and plays whatever music I last had active in the phone through the car.
mine even after switch to Drive it just show me the gray screen with connect to the phone hotspot msg. If i put it in park right away androidauto come back on.

mine even after switch to Drive it just show me the gray screen with connect to the phone hotspot msg. If i put it in park right away androidauto come back on.
check out this post to enable wifi while driving option

This is the second time the Tesla browser completely refusing to connect to AA on my phone. It just displays Please connect to your phone's hotspot and make sure TeslAA is running on the phone...
The first time I fiddled with it by force closing the apps and rebooting everything and it seems to bring it back.

I rebooted the Tesla software on the car and still I only see the "Please make sure..." message displayed. The car is connected to my hotspot and I can browse the internet using the hotspot. Bluetooth is connected. Music plays through my phone. What do I have to kill to make it work again?

Reactions: beachmiles
Just downloaded the latest FSD BETA 11.4.2 and Teslaa/Android Auto refuses to connect. It was rock solid before. Cleared cache, rebooted car/phone, uninstalled/reinstalled Teslaa/AA - no joy. Any thoughts?
The teslaa app has a support site on Slack. One user there has reported the same problem as you have. Unfortunately, the teslaa app's author is in Europe and has no way to test issues on the car side for cars running FSDb. He suggested clearing the car's browser cache, rebooting your phone and trying teslaa again. Then again, that user might be you. 🤔

Just downloaded the latest FSD BETA 11.4.2 and Teslaa/Android Auto refuses to connect. It was rock solid before. Cleared cache, rebooted car/phone, uninstalled/reinstalled Teslaa/AA - no joy. Any thoughts?
I'm in the same boat, I'm wondering if Tesla doesn't want Teslaa running and maliciously is blocking its connection over the VPN somehow now? Maybe to get these few people to subscribe to their monthly live traffic service?

It looks like the browser is trying to load the site and keeps flickering like it's about to load but then fails and the browser then sometimes appears to freeze.
I tried your same fixes with no luck.

Edit. Clearing the tesla browser cache did not fix the problem.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: KArnold