Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anecdotal evidence that people are not giving up reservations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A friend of mine has been waiting on the Model 3 since the early days. He is waiting for the standard battery and will be giving up a BMW 3 series for it. But...he had never actually driven a Model 3.

I let him drive my Model 3 yesterday to see his reaction and he was even more psyched for his new car -- especially wow'd by autopilot of course. He's waiting because the standard battery will be more in his price range and he doesn't need the long range, but one thing I know for sure is that he's not canceling his reservation for his $1k deposit.

Any other anecdotes that excitement is still there?

Reactions: EinSV
I think people are giving up the reservation. Now that they have dropped the reserve I wouldn’t sit on it. Delivery at this point is going to be 90% logistics. It might get you a few days ahead of other people that order the same day and are in the same area. The 35k config is going to be on the website available to all as soon as production starts. The reserves has nothing to do with sales all that matters is orders.

• Informative
Reactions: Stirfelt
I saw that article showing 50% Model 3 reservations being cancelled. I don't remember where from so no attachment. But to me , in my opinion I think many are cancelled for the model S.
Be careful what you read in articles. There is a lot of misinformation about Tesla out there. I'm curious to see how many people are cancelling their reservation. If someone is waiting for the SR, and don't want to spend more than $35k, there really isn't any alternative on the market right now that's at that price. If people could afford a Model S I think they would consider getting a LR Model 3.

True but here on TMC I have read several that bought a CPO instead of the 3. Personally I reserved thinking after a 3 year lease I would get the 3. But i'm sticking with the S. I just like the bigger car
Much the same for me. I'm keeping my CPO S, even though it is about to go out of warranty (I've put 48k miles on it). I've been keeping my 3 reservation to keep my options open but now that anyone in NA can order, it serves no useful purpose. There are some things about the 3 that I just don't like as much as the S.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BerTX
Of course, this isn't standard battery but when asked he still said profit in the teens percentage

Tesla Model 3 exceeds 30% profit, says Sandy Munro after teardown analysis
Margin is always lower for less expensive cars because the fixed cost allocation is a higher proportion of sales price.
Costs has several components: Materials cost, Labor cost, and Overhead. Overhead is commonly applied as a factor of Labor Cost. Example, a widget takes one hour of labor for a person making $15/hr. The material (rubber, plastic, whatever) costs $5. The Overhead is 1.2 times the cost of labor= $18. The standard cost of the widget is $38. You decide your margin will be 10%. You sell widget for $41.80. If people really like pink widgets and can sell those for $43...yippee. The analogy for Tesla is color. I paid $1500 for red. If black paint costs $500 and red multi coat costs $750, Tesla has made a $1250 pure margin improvement. (I have no idea how much paint costs, numbers for illustration only). $500 of the red paint cost would be spent no matter what. They were able to charge me more for red than it costs them and they didn’t have any increase in labor and overhead.

• Helpful
Reactions: dgpcolorado
Much the same for me. I'm keeping my CPO S, even though it is about to go out of warranty (I've put 48k miles on it). I've been keeping my 3 reservation to keep my options open but now that anyone in NA can order, it serves no useful purpose. There are some things about the 3 that I just don't like as much as the S.
Wow, I could have written those exact words. Just got the check for the deposit cancellation. I don't care for the M3 dash look -- I guess I'm old. We will reserve / deposit on the MY when it is revealed in hopes that it will have towing capability (or, rather, permission) and a better dash design, but I doubt it will happen.

I doubt Tesla will make model 3. Expert auto manufacturers say Tesla will lose $3500.00 on each car if model 3 is build-Tesla has to make money badly

I’m not sure what data the experts you’re referring to used to determine that. If they’re competition, or short sellers, you may to take their opinion with a grain of salt. ...

Munro did a tear down, and determined the car makes more profit than any other EV car.
LR model is 30% profitable for them.
I believe he said the SR model will be 18%.

Looks good to him, and that’s what they do ??

I stopped at the Rocklin Service Center today to charge and the showroom was jammed with people ordering cars. (Sunday morning)
I presume that these are all new orders, not people who had placed a deposit since they would just order online.

A friend of mine has been waiting on the Model 3 since the early days. He is waiting for the standard battery and will be giving up a BMW 3 series for it. But...he had never actually driven a Model 3.

I let him drive my Model 3 yesterday to see his reaction and he was even more psyched for his new car -- especially wow'd by autopilot of course. He's waiting because the standard battery will be more in his price range and he doesn't need the long range, but one thing I know for sure is that he's not canceling his reservation for his $1k deposit.

Any other anecdotes that excitement is still there?

Anecodotes don't mean much, facts do ... Iots more counter examples that show people canceling the reservations (1 in 4 is the "official" estimate)

• Disagree
Reactions: ModelNforNerd