Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Announcement of new Model S June 9th

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just saw on LinkedIn that there is a promotion to order a new 60. It takes you to the Tesla Design Studio, where you see the below pic. It then has a option to upgrade from the 60 to the 75.
Screen Shot 2016-06-09 at 8.18.37 AM.png

This is a smart move by Tesla to bring back the S 60 at a lower price than in the past. In the US it is now $66,000 for a base 60. I think it used to be $70,000.

I think this is the first time that Tesla has lowered the price of the base S. But that price includes features that in mid 2013 cost extra or didn't even exist, for example; active safety, folding mirrors, parking sensors, LED headlights, free for life Supercharging.

The base 60 is quite a compelling car at a great price. Oh, and it's EPA rating is 210 miles, it used to be 208. ;)

Does this make the refreshed 70s (that have the option to upgrade to 75) more unique and perhaps more valuable? Thoughts?

Not at all. If anything they are worth less because the base price of Model S went down. Instead of buying a used 70, someone might get a new 60 if they don't have the need for the extra range. Plus both are upgradable to 75 kWh (just different prices to upgrade since the increased capacity is different).

So does the pack have the extra cells already in it to enable 75KWh? And if so, are those cells always charging with the others? I would think they'd have to otherwise, they would eventually drain down and go bad. So does that make the charging take longer, even though you aren't getting the benefit from the extra time?

All S60 (CPO or New) are supercharging enabled. When it was the 40kWh battery and then changed to the 60 kWh battery is when they made the Supercharging part of the package. There were a lot of 40/60 owners that paid for the Supercharging, but that has not happened since 2014. All Tesla's come with Supercharging enabled. It is built into the price of the car, and not listed a an additional option. So technically you are paying for it.

This is a smart move by Tesla to bring back the S 60 at a lower price than in the past. In the US it is now $66,000 for a base 60. I think it used to be $70,000.

I think this is the first time that Tesla has lowered the price of the base S. But that price includes features that in mid 2013 cost extra or didn't even exist, for example; active safety, folding mirrors, parking sensors, LED headlights, free for life Supercharging.

The base 60 is quite a compelling car at a great price. Oh, and it's EPA rating is 210 miles, it used to be 208. ;)
Used to be 69.9k according to Wikipedia without supercharging enabled..

All S60 (CPO or New) are supercharging enabled. When it was the 40kWh battery and then changed to the 60 kWh battery is when they made the Supercharging part of the package. There were a lot of 40/60 owners that paid for the Supercharging, but that has not happened since 2014. All Tesla's come with Supercharging enabled. It is built into the price of the car, and not listed a an additional option. So technically you are paying for it.
No so. 60s were originally charged $2000 to enable the supercharging hardware and software. That had nothing to do with 40s which were really 60s.

So does the pack have the extra cells already in it to enable 75KWh? And if so, are those cells always charging with the others? I would think they'd have to otherwise, they would eventually drain down and go bad. So does that make the charging take longer, even though you aren't getting the benefit from the extra time?

On the contrary, you will probably see increase in charging speed vs regular 60 S.

Does this make the refreshed 70s (that have the option to upgrade to 75) more unique and perhaps more valuable? Thoughts?

Not really, you guys have the same battery as the new 60 even. Just different 70D badging on back for now until you upgrade ;-). Both have a 75kWh battery.

Overall this including larger batteries than sold seems a little wasteful - definitely a unique practice.

On the contrary, you will probably see increase in charging speed vs regular 60 S.
Oh, right, forgot about that. So this is interesting...When you charge at a SC to 80%, that would presumably be 80% of 75KWh, which just happens to be 60KWh. So does that mean that you now have essentially a full 100% charge of your "60KWh" battery??:confused: If so, that's a pretty sweet little fringe benefit for the 60KWh MS buyer.

Overall this including larger batteries than sold seems a little wasteful - definitely a unique practice.

Probably a few things here
1) They must be figuring the take rate will be pretty high.
2) Once the gigafactory is in full swing, they should be able to dramatically cut the cost of production, thus making said upgrade to 75KW pure profit.

It's kinda like on-disc DLC for a video game. Yes, they had to pay development costs and it costs them some money to have it sitting there, but having it at your fingertips makes consumers that much more likely to just pay the extra to access it.

Big surprise. It had never occurred to me that Tesla would go "backwards" in offered battery capacity. It will be very interesting to see how this affects sales. Will the lower entry point encourage more sales? or will the change really result in most sales being 75s, thus raising the average price a bit? Only time will tell...

Reactions: umeshunni