Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Announcing the EV Trip Optimizer for Tesla App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be nice if EVTO could save maps for a specific trip to the iDevice on request so even if there are no live updates to the predictions at least there is a reference to the plan.
In the queue is to be able to create a simple Google Maps version of your trip to display on your device or even the cars browser. No ETA for this as of yet.

But this sounds like you would like to see just an image file so it could be seen with no connectivity at all? I could look at a static Google Map as a possibility.

Heading out tomorrow into the charging desert that is northwestern Maine. Not only are there no chargers along the way but there is no cell signal either. It would be nice if EVTO could save maps for a specific trip to the iDevice on request so even if there are no live updates to the predictions at least there is a reference to the plan.

For that I would email the itinerary (pro feature) and then print out the email. As a bonus this doesn't require your iThing to work either. Also you can write notes on the printout. (Just did this for a road trip.)

Bruce.

In the queue is to be able to create a simple Google Maps version of your trip to display on your device or even the cars browser. No ETA for this as of yet.

But this sounds like you would like to see just an image file so it could be seen with no connectivity at all? I could look at a static Google Map as a possibility.
Google Maps can save maps, then overlying a waypoint to waypoint version from EVTO would be nice. Even without cell coverage, a GPS sensor can show the car’s position on the iPad over this saved area. No point in reinventing the wheel, except it would be way more convenient.

An update on the progress of V1.1.3.

We are making a lot of headway here. Most of the functionality is complete and it's in the hands of the beta testers with nightly releases for bug and UI updates. Lots of usability and functional improvements plus better accuracy, especially for Model S owners.

If all goes well this week I hope to have it in the stores early next week. I will also enable it for markets outside of NA at that time too.

IMG_0052.PNG

New here to the app... When setting up my car, I tap on the 90% range field, and the on-screen keyboard activates. Then it closes and returns to the field. Tried both orientations (landscape, portrait), and LG-default vs "Hackers" keyboards. No joy. I paired a BT keyboard, and that worked. (Yea!)

The on-screen keyboard does stay "lit" on other fields, for example, Car Name, and the fields within Edit Trip.

Tablet is an LG G3, Android 7.0. Version is 1.1.2.

Separately, how does one turn off the use of SuperChargers, if, say, one is out of credits or has a car without SC enabled?

Still poking around... interesting app!

Last edited:
The on-screen keyboard does stay "lit" on other fields, for example, Car Name, and the fields within Edit Trip.
I'll add this device to the bug list.
Separately, how does one turn off the use of SuperChargers, if, say, one is out of credits or has a car without SC enabled?
You can turn off the display with the lightening bolt icon. Don't optimize as it will fetch superchargers.

You can turn off the display with the lightening bolt icon. Don't optimize as it will fetch superchargers.
Right, but that's just cosmetic. The route doesn't get re-computed using only the other charging capabilities of the vehicle (J1772, et al).

EDIT: Or, maybe I'm "not holding it right" :) The non-SC charging options need to be added manually?

BTW, I would consider a NEMA 14-50 outlet as Level-2, not Level-1("filter features" menu item). No biggie...

Last edited:
Right, but that's just cosmetic. The route doesn't get re-computed using only the other charging capabilities of the vehicle (J1772, et al).
It should. So if you add an J1772 to the route you don't see the Calculating spinner?

Can you double check the waypoint by going to the marker and then selecting Edit. Make sure the J1772 charger is shown. There were a few cases where the charger was not sticking after adding it in a waypoint.

If you go the SOC chart you should see the charger increase there too, if it needs it.

Also if you select the waypoint it should show you what it needed to charge at.

If this is not working then Share the trip with [email protected] and I will look into it or make sure that this is fixed in the next release if its a bug.
BTW, I would consider a NEMA 14-50 outlet as Level-2, not Level-1("filter features" menu item). No biggie..
Fixed in next release.:)

I've got the same keyboard problem with the 90% range field.

For the last few days I haven't been able to get a few Superchargers to show on the map and be included in the optimization. They stay as a gray circle no matter how close you zoom in. Ardmore SC did it when I tried a new trip. An old saved trip with the same endpoints can't see Shreveport, Monroe, Pearl, Meridian. So it gets as far as Lindale and tries to make it to Birmingham. All of those SC's are between two manual non-charging waypoints, so maybe some interference.

try this:
3505 South Main, Lindale TX to 2221 Richard Arrington Junior Boulevard North, Birmingham AL
It skips Shreveport and arrives at Monroe with 17% SOC, which is kind of OK. But if I zoom in on Shreveport it just stays a gray dot with 2 inside all the way down to looking at just the mall. No way to select it manually from the map.

I've also had a problem zooming. The zoom happens OK but the map doesn't reload with more detail, so I just get more pixellated. Usually doing something else and coming back fixes that.

I'm on a Nexus 6p with the latest Android software.

When setting up my car, I tap on the 90% range field, and the on-screen keyboard activates. Then it closes and returns to the field. Tried both orientations (landscape, portrait), and LG-default vs "Hackers" keyboards. No joy. I paired a BT keyboard, and that worked. (Yea!)
I have been able to duplicate this and hope to have a fix in the next release (V1.1.3)

I'm still having a difficult time planning a trip that won't use the superchargers. The Dublin, CA, Service Center has both supercharger and Tesla Destination (10 + 2), according to the Plugshare app. If I turn off the superchargers icon (leaving the Plug icon lit), the site goes away. If it's on, it shows as a "2" summary (presuming one of each type?), and they won't separate into individual chargers with zoom. I can cheat and pick the supercharger, but then the charging time will be wrong. How can I pick just the Destination port as a waypoint?

EDIT: Ok, so if I turn off the Plug, leaving just the supercharger, it's still an inseparable "2". Still can't select the destination charger. Do I need to create a new charger manually?

I use NREL for the non supercharger database. I don't think its as robust as Plugshare, who doesn't want to provide me their data.

So this is what I propose:

Go to Plugshare and find the charger you want to use. Copy the address. Then go to the EVTO Add Waypoint menu item. Paste the address into the second field (the first is used for a name). Verify the address by selecting from the list. Then select the charger type from the drop down list. Press Save. The waypoint (charger) will be added and EVTO will gather the weather for that site and do all of it's routing magic just like a charger it would add on its own.

I use NREL for the non supercharger database. I don't think its as robust as Plugshare, who doesn't want to provide me their data.

So this is what I propose:

Go to Plugshare and find the charger you want to use. Copy the address. Then go to the EVTO Add Waypoint menu item. Paste the address into the second field (the first is used for a name). Verify the address by selecting from the list. Then select the charger type from the drop down list. Press Save. The waypoint (charger) will be added and EVTO will gather the weather for that site and do all of it's routing magic just like a charger it would add on its own.
Yep, that's what I figured I needed to do. Works well, but noting that you have to manually add that charger as away point in each trip you want to use it in (it's not automatic). Given the number and variety of public charging points, I expect this is probably for the best.

Another suggestion: For the default (free) version, if you select "reverse route" you get a dialog box reminding you that multiple active trips are only for the subscribed version. How about adding an option to replace the current route with its mirror image? I don't necessarily want to save the two trips, but rather compare the energy usage and charging options for the two directions. I think this would be useful in both default and subscribed situations.