Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Announcing the EV Trip Optimizer for Tesla App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well it has been a long road but I want to let you know that EVTO 2.0 is now in review at Apple. Once it is approved both the Android and iOS versions will be available simultaneously.

Here are the highlights:

EVTO 2 is the complete reinvention of the only EV trip planner designed for phone-sized devices. Plan trips on your phone with multiple waypoints. Explore charging options using the charger overlays, or import a charger location from PlugShare. Save frequently-used locations like 'Home' to speed up trip planning. EVTO 2 is the only EV trip planner you'll need, and it's always with you.

Some of EVTO 2's latest features and highlights:
  • Full support for Tesla Model 3 and Roadsters
  • New 'My Cars' dialog with Model, Cockpit and Energy options for up to 5 Tesla profiles
  • End-to-end automatic charger allocation and routing for multi-segment routes
  • Improved accuracy of energy consumption based on weather and elevation changes
  • Updated Waypoint Inspector with visual representation of battery SoC and predicted weather conditions
  • New Trip Browser with quick-reference summary of key trip stats
  • New Segment Browser with quick-reference summary of individual waypoint stats
  • New charging time estimator with manual override
  • Per-segment speed offset adjustment, maximum speed preference
  • Tesla Destination Chargers added to database
  • New Rangefinder feature for off-route chargers
  • Updated design for Consumption and SoC charts
  • Improved route export to device calendar
  • PlugShare copy/paste integration
  • New tutorials and extensive contextual help
  • Many more under-the-frunk improvements
Upon installation, EVTO is limited to a single trip of up to 500 miles/800 km with automatically selected supercharger stops and up to three additional manual waypoints. With the purchase of a monthly or annual in-app subscription, save multiple trips and create multi-segment trips with no practical limits on distance or waypoints.

A quick note: Both Pro and the current Multi-Trip subscriptions are no longer in EVTO 2.0. All the Pro features are embedded into the new subscriptions that can either be purchased monthly or annually. Existing Pro users with no MTS IAP have unlimited use of the app until March of 2018. Existing MTS users will have unlimited access for the remainder of their current annual period. While the existing V1 MTS IAP goes away, users who purchased that feature are grandfathered into the new annual subscription at the V1 price as long as they keep their subscription active. Both new subscriptions have a 7 day free trial period and you can bounce between those as you desire.

Basic route planning for a single segment trip is still free.

After EVTO 2.0 is up and running I will be updating and adding more tutorials to show you how to get the most out of the app. In the meantime the app help files have been extensively updated and added to and are quite complete. And of course assistance and help are always available from the main menu Feedback Report feature.

Hint: Look for a free gift on the main menu after you try out the features of EVTO 2.0.

waypoints.png

Before the screaming starts about the subscription model for purchase, I'd like to weigh in.

I'm extremely opposed to subscriptions. In this case, there are background pieces that are used that have an ongoing cost, and that cost must be passed on to the user somehow. I can't come up with another way to do that, so the subscription is it.

I've seen and used this software. It is light-years ahead of anything else available, and is the new standard for trip planning. Give the free trial a try, and even if you end up not using the subscription, you will still get much better functionality than any other tool.

I will say this -- like any powerful tool, there is a learning curve. As you use it, you will become more proficient. It's worth the time!

And those that have purchased it already get it free for six months or for what they originally paid (depending on the future we’re talking about, Pro or Multi). Let’s see what the costs are, as we’ve not even seen that yet.

I, for one, don’t know how apps like Remote S survive when they only get a few bucks from people one time ever. But I’ll take either method!

Reactions: jbcarioca
Be honest with your weight, right foot and otherwise, and the app will give you excellent efficiency estimates. There are variables for payload, Power Factor, and Speed Adjustment; you can set the Power Adjustment after a couple of test drives and the results will be tailored to your driving style.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
A quick update: Apple was very quick reviewing the app and asked for a minor change which I have made. Let's hope that we can get rolling quickly now.

Thanks for all the support comments. Very much appreciated.

And I did forget the cost details. Here they are in US $
  • Monthly is $.99
  • Annual is $9.99
And was pointed out, the current V1 MTS IAP that automatically converts to V2 Annual is $1.99 (hint ;) )

• Helpful
Reactions: AlMc and boaterva
BTW the long coveted additional optimization models of least stops, least distance and least energy are now in play for subscription users. Be careful what you ask for. It may be a bit subtle to you depending on the trip but it's in there.

Also while you hunt down the free gift, here is another tidbit to ponder:

There is something called a Phi factor embedded in the Current Trips, Segment and Trip summary dialogs. Let's see who can guess what that means. It's just a fun attribute.

Last edited:
BTW the long coveted additional optimization models of least stops, least distance and least energy are now in play for subscription users. Be careful what you ask for.

Ha! As one who asked for it, I'm glad it's there :) Thanks, Chris!

Liking the updated features list. Will grab it when posted.

To others who have not tried EVTO: I bought it 2 days after is was announced here. At the time, it was the most complete planner of all I tried. With the recent updates, I feel it has jacked the bar even higher.

A quick update: Apple was very quick reviewing the app and asked for a minor change which I have made. Let's hope that we can get rolling quickly now.

Thanks for all the support comments. Very much appreciated.

And I did forget the cost details. Here they are in US $
  • Monthly is $.99
  • Annual is $9.99
And was pointed out, the current V1 MTS IAP that automatically converts to V2 Annual is $1.99 (hint ;) )

I bought all the subscriptions to v1 when it came out, but don't really use the app as I rarely take road trips in my car longer than the range of my P100D (maybe 2 or 3 per year). I haven't actually opened the app in months. Will my subscription automatically roll over to V2 or do I have to do something to make sure I stay grandfathered in to the old pricing?

I haven't actually opened the app in months. Will my subscription automatically roll over to V2 or do I have to do something to make sure I stay grandfathered in to the old pricing?
As long as your subscription is still valid (it's less than a year so it should be), it will (should) automatically roll over to provide the same capabilities as the new Annual IAP. Before your subscription is at the end of it's term you can either cancel it, and maybe move over to the monthly plan when you need it, or take no action to renew it for another year. If you do decide to cancel it then if you do later want to go to an annual subscription you will be at the new rate of $9.99.

BTW the monthly IAP was designed just for folks like you that maybe make one or two longer trips per year, but generally use the app for just day trips they would like some assistance with what the car provides natively. Just subscribe occasionally when you need it. Don't forget to cancel the subscription before the month is out (the stores are the ones that have the opt out model, not me).

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Just a quick update: Apple has run into an issue testing the app that we are trying to resolve. It works for me but not for them. Who knows how long it might take to resolve this being a computer and all. :)

Stay tuned and I will post any updates as I know them and also the official announce once it's cleared for availability.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah and boaterva
EVTO 2.0 is now in the stores. This is a major update (my AP V2.0) so while it has had hundreds of hours of testing on various devices, cars, users and trips, I am sure you will find some bugs. Please be patient as we work through them. Remember the Feedback Report on the main menu and attach the trip if it is trip specific.

Over the next several weeks I will tease you with new and advanced features, but as always, take a look at all the new context sensitive help panels for insight. Some features have different behaviour than they did before so be careful. There are also some overloaded icons on the map that have two states (long and short press).

For a start on the Current Trips menu just touching a trip will cause it to become the active trip and launch the map with the trip loaded. While you are in Current Trips, if you swipe left on a trip you will see three action buttons. Swipe right to dismiss them if you don't take an action.

Also of note to North America users: There will be approximately a 30 day delay before the thousands of destination chargers become active. I need to wait until a large population of users migrates to 2.0 because the increase in chargers will overwhelm some of the lower power devices running version 1.0.

The twenty or so beta testers around the world did a great job helping EVTO become what it is in Version 2.0. You know many of them via TMC but most remain in the background. The EVTO unsung heros.

Have fun and good luck.

Feature Graphic.jpg

Well, this is even stranger. Checked on my iPad and was able to “update” about an hour ago. Launched it just now, and still have V 1 installed. Perhaps timing was just right that it downloaded V 1 as V 2 was being removed.

Watching this space :)

Downloaded for me just fine (been in the middle of upgrading my Wifi from an Airport Extreme to Netgear Orbi pair!)...

I just started the App Store, and it was waiting to upgrade as it should....

Chris, looks great, need to play with some of the options. First issue I've run into is, when you are looking at in-app doc like the Feature Matrix or anything else that takes you to the DAG pages (a separate website?), how do you get back to the app? I can't find a close/exit/anything button!

I've had to swipe close the app and restart it, which can't be the intent. Thanks!