Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annoying CNN article...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don;t think anyone has a problem with other products. It is every article for another product seems to state untrue facts about Tesla.

What exactly is untrue here? I've owned my car for 14 months and 25,000 miles and I think they are exactly right. "Firm" is a subjective term, which is by definition an opinion. I share that opinion.

CNN said:
Some other systems, like Tesla's Autopilot, require a firm tug in the steering wheel to return control to the driver.

How is this a lie?

Reactions: MXLRplus
Let's review the untrue statements in the article, shall we?

Ford's Active Drive Assist is different from Tesla's Autopilot technology because Autopilot is not designed to allow drivers to let go of the steering wheel for long periods

Yes, Autopilot is designed for exactly that, and will be enabled by FSD software as it matures. The assertion that Autopilot is not designed for that is untrue.

The Tesla system also does not have a driver monitoring camera.

Yes it does have a camera facing the driver, but it is not currently active. Whether it will be used for driver monitoring in the future is unknown.

Some other systems, like Tesla's Autopilot, require a firm tug in the steering wheel to return control to the driver.

No, a firm tug is not required. You can return control to the driver with a brake tap, or an upward push of the drive mode lever (Model 3) or a forward push of the AP lever (S/X). Also, I subjectively feel that the steering wheel tug is not "firm", just deliberate.

This is sloppy reporting, plain and simple. And is the norm these days.

What exactly is untrue here? I've owned my car for 14 months and 25,000 miles and I think they are exactly right. "Firm" is a subjective term, which is by definition an opinion. I share that opinion.

How is this a lie?
I don't think anyone said that. He was saying that in general. There are quite a few ways to disengage the Tesla Autopilot. I honestly didn't realize this was an AD..I thought it was a news story and was surprised the author would say something like that.
I think your other part about why people get their stuff in a wad is because typically this forum and other forums were used by paid lobbyists to try and keep Tesla from succeeding by posting stories to incite discussion that ultimately would help the people shorting the stock.

When I posted this I really didn't think this would start something like this.. it was not my intent. As I said...I was just annoyed a news writer would do that...but now that I know this was an AD and not a real news story.....

I don't think anyone said that. He was saying that in general. There are quite a few ways to disengage the Tesla Autopilot. I honestly didn't realize this was an AD..I thought it was a news story and was surprised the author would say something like that.
I think your other part about why people get their stuff in a wad is because typically this forum and other forums were used by paid lobbyists to try and keep Tesla from succeeding by posting stories to incite discussion that ultimately would help the people shorting the stock.

When I posted this I really didn't think this would start something like this.. it was not my intent. As I said...I was just annoyed a news writer would do that...but now that I know this was an AD and not a real news story.....

Advertisements by definition are paid, so unless Ford paid for this "ad", it's something else. I thought it was reasonably well written and corresponded well with a YouTube video I saw this morning on the subject while working out.

It's also useful for me, as autopilot was my primary deciding factor for getting my Tesla, and I've been frustrated at how few options I have in that area. Up until now Ford has stayed quiet about this, so I didn't think the Mach E could be an option for me.

Looks like it might be, so I enjoyed the article. I love my car and think it's the best thing since sliced bread, but I've had other cars that do certain things better. It still blows my mind how my Chrysler Pacifica had a better stereo than this thing, but I suppose that's for another thread.

Crushed... I can't help it as I live in Atlanta... so what should I be watching? I am open to be enlightened. I don't just watch that channel...

I'm interested as well as to the identity of the "best" media outlet. I'm all ears ...

As much as I can't stand CNN I try to watch a half hour of it per day so I can hear the BS they feed people. I used to watch nothing but CNN until I realized how much nonsense they're selling.

It was clearly an ad for the car... and then they say this...

Not sure what your point is. This is absolutely true. Tesla cannot allow drivers to take the car out of autopilot with just a light tug of the steering wheel because that would make the torque-based hand-detection impossible. The Ford doesn't have that problem because it uses a camera to monitor driver attention. It's the same with Caddilac's Supercruise.

It was clearly an ad for the car... and then they say this...

Not sure what your point is. This is absolutely true. Tesla cannot allow drivers to take the car out of autopilot with just a light tug of the steering wheel because that would make the torque-based hand-detection impossible. The Ford doesn't have that problem because it uses a camera to monitor driver attention. It's the same with Caddilac's Supercruise.

Crushed... I can't help it as I live in Atlanta... so what should I be watching? I am open to be enlightened. I don't just watch that channel...
Here is CNN Center 30 minutes ago. Repair work continuing. Didn't see anything about the article as I used my carbon producing machine that doesn't have FSD but does see traffic cones just like my 3. :D

IMG_4612.jpeg

So what do you watch instead?

I honestly try not to watch too much of any network because no matter which one you watch you're being misled. I have on my occasions flipped back and forth between networks only to see the same subject being reported differently. The less news I watch the better. It's just a bunch of depressing negativity I could do without.

I honestly try not to watch too much of any network because no matter which one you watch you're being misled. I have on my occasions flipped back and forth between networks only to see the same subject being reported differently. The less news I watch the better. It's just a bunch of depressing negativity I could do without.
Couldn’t agree more. Stuck at home for months I watch way to much cable news.

I've evaluated several autosteering systems. It takes more torque to kick out of AutoPilot™ than any other autosteering that I know of. It also has the least amount of tolerance for user lane positioning, such as moving over for a MC, avoiding an obstacle, and selecting a lane in a 1 -> 2 junction.

Now if you want to get mad, get mad at Ford:

"Taking a dig at Tesla, which has been criticized for calling its system Autopilot and then being surprised when drivers treat it like autopilot (resulting in some disastrous accidents), Ford is being careful with its words. "We carefully select names for features that don't overpromise that they can do more than they can," Chris Billman, a Ford driver-assist engineer, said. The automaker feels its system, called Active Drive Assist, is more accurately named."

While I do understand the sentiment with the OP, I would like to point out that actually the reporter has it correct in the sense that the "tug" on the wheel is the only way I know of to disengage AP with out disengaging cruise control. The tap on the brake or the stalk dis engages both .
(I could be wrong abut this, I am a new Tesla owner)

I am not saying the reporter meant that or even cares, just pointing out that weather its accidental luck , or he did intense research and knows his details inside out...He is correct on the way to disengage AP (only)

As far as news, I have always felt that no matter what the source, if I want to know the truth and care enough to find out, I do my own research .
One tool that has helped me greatly , especially when I have some sort of invested feelings about something, is I start my research form the OPPOSITE point of view. While the internet is a wonderful tool that makes research very easy, I can always find information that supports my point of view, but if I want to know the facts I will research ALL points of view and come to my own conclusion based on the research . I try real hard to base my opinions (or truth as it may be) on facts. NOT base the facts on MY truth.

One of my favorite passages I have ever read in this regard goes like this "Everything I believe is subject to revision, especially what I believe to be the truth.

Sorry I have ventured down the rabbit hole a little further than I intended, this is a Tesla forum after all..lol

Cheap shot to compare a vehicle that exists and has hundreds of thousands of owners to a potential system...coming out "soon" and nobody has independently evaluated.

Mostly just a press release that writers have picked up to produce some headline grabbing easy articles.

Reactions: gavine