Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annoying rattle, any ideas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,
I’m based in the uk so drive a right hand drive M3P.
I have this super annoying rattle that occurs when driving 50mph+ normally on motorways. It sounds like its coming from the passenger side glovebox area/ mirror area. I have tried some tape on the door latch and looked everywhere but cannot pinpoint where it may be coming from. Just wanted to post in case anyone else has encounted a similar rattle and if they managed to fix it themselves.

Any ideas would be great, TY!

I have the same issue in my US version, also on passenger side in that area. For a while I thought it was the wheel liner tapping the inside of the fender. I stuffed a paper towel in there to test. That seemed to fix it.

Now a couple months later that fix no longer works. Ive scheduled mobile service to come look at it 11/3, which will apparently cost me $90usd.

It must get fixed. My sanity depends on it.

OMG, I'm experiencing this same exact issue. I'm in North America and I hear it in the front passenger side, around the glovebox area, and it only becomes pronounced at speeds of 50mph or higher. I am going in for service and this is one of the issues I listed. I'm hoping Tesla covers it through the warranty.

My guess would be the front wheel well liners. Try taping them to test.
I have the same issue in my US version, also on passenger side in that area. For a while I thought it was the wheel liner tapping the inside of the fender. I stuffed a paper towel in there to test. That seemed to fix it.

Now a couple months later that fix no longer works. Ive scheduled mobile service to come look at it 11/3, which will apparently cost me $90usd.

It must get fixed. My sanity depends on it.

Hey guys
What exactly is a front wheel well liner? Do you have a picture? Thanks!

OMG, I'm experiencing this same exact issue. I'm in North America and I hear it in the front passenger side, around the glovebox area, and it only becomes pronounced at speeds of 50mph or higher. I am going in for service and this is one of the issues I listed. I'm hoping Tesla covers it through the warranty.
Sounds like the front wheel liner rattle issue.

If you open the frunk you will notice a small plastic cover that goes on the hinge for the frunk. On my car these rattle and from inside the car it is hard to hear exactly where it is coming from. Try wrapping a rubber band around them and see if it goes away.

Thank you. I'm going to check this out today.

Sounds like the front wheel liner rattle issue.

I tapped the wheel liner (front right) and found it a little bit loose. Then, I tried the same thing on the other side (front left) and it didn't seem that much different. So i found it weird that it would only make the noise on one side.

Last edited:
Hey guys
What exactly is a front wheel well liner? Do you have a picture? Thanks!
IMG_3572.jpg

In mine, I've installed fabric wheel well liners, but the plastic ones that come with the car have been known to rattle around the back edges. They flutter at speed. Just tape the edges temporarily and roadtest to see if it makes a difference.

• Informative
Reactions: fseir
What I don't understand is why Tesla is quoting me an invoice and charging me for this when my car has less than 1k miles. They're citing that the limited warranty only covers defects in workmanship, not wear and tear. But, I highly doubt this rattle could be due to wear and tear.

So this thread has no real solutions or pics? 🤦‍♂️
I commented on this one back in 2020 as you can see. Tesla basically told me it was “within spec” by claiming it was just normal wind noise. The guy assigned to ride with me told me he had hearing issues. The center clearly didn’t find customer sanity to be important.

The runaround was ridiculous. I sold it in 2021.

That said, we have a 2022 now with no noises. I think QC improved a good bit between 2019 and 2022.

Reactions: Cypcode