Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annual Maintenance Plan - 5,000 miles per year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Almost done with the order process when came across the Maintenance Plan Options. Looks like you only save $100 by paying up front on the 3 year plan. So not much of a savings? Am I missing something?

Also, since I work from home I do not put a lot of miles on my car. Maybe with the Tesla I will put more fun miles on the Car and take more weekend trips. However, if my past is a good prediction of the future I will not be exceeding 5,000 miles per year.

Based on the annual cost with my low milage it seems a bit excessive. But hate to skip maintenance service. Would any of you maybe go every two years with only 5,000 miles per year?

Lastly, it appears you can sign up for the plan up util the first year of service. So maybe nothing to gain by buying up front when you get the car. Maybe I miss read that.

Recommendations?

Almost done with the order process when came across the Maintenance Plan Options. Looks like you only save $100 by paying up front on the 3 year plan. So not much of a savings? Am I missing something?

Also, since I work from home I do not put a lot of miles on my car. Maybe with the Tesla I will put more fun miles on the Car and take more weekend trips. However, if my past is a good prediction of the future I will not be exceeding 5,000 miles per year.

Based on the annual cost with my low milage it seems a bit excessive. But hate to skip maintenance service. Would any of you maybe go every two years with only 5,000 miles per year?

Lastly, it appears you can sign up for the plan up util the first year of service. So maybe nothing to gain by buying up front when you get the car. Maybe I miss read that.

Recommendations?
Several thoughts: 1 you will probably end up driving more than you expect! I too work at home but put 12k miles n in the first 9 months and 2 don’t need service at mileage intervals as much as annually. I prepurchased but it’s not a big deal either way.

...maintenance is optional...

I surely do believe that.

Read it for yourself:

"If I choose not to service my Tesla vehicle, will this void my warranty or Resale Value Guarantee?
It is highly recommended that you service your Tesla vehicle every 12 months or every 12,500 miles, whichever occurs first. If you do not follow this recommendation, your New Vehicle Limited Warranty or Pre-Owned Vehicle Limited Warranty will not be affected. During the agreement period of the Extended Service Agreement, your coverage may be affected if recommended service is not performed. See the Tesla Extended Service Plan Terms and Conditions for further details. If you are financing your Tesla vehicle through Tesla Financing, you will only be eligible for the full Resale Value Guarantee if your Tesla vehicle is brought in for service per the above recommended timeline."

I surely do believe that.

Read it for yourself:

"If I choose not to service my Tesla vehicle, will this void my warranty or Resale Value Guarantee?
It is highly recommended that you service your Tesla vehicle every 12 months or every 12,500 miles, whichever occurs first. If you do not follow this recommendation, your New Vehicle Limited Warranty or Pre-Owned Vehicle Limited Warranty will not be affected. During the agreement period of the Extended Service Agreement, your coverage may be affected if recommended service is not performed. See the Tesla Extended Service Plan Terms and Conditions for further details. If you are financing your Tesla vehicle through Tesla Financing, you will only be eligible for the full Resale Value Guarantee if your Tesla vehicle is brought in for service per the above recommended timeline."

So, since I'm leasing, f*ck it, right?

...not much of a savings...

True.

If you pay either way any how, so some savings doesn't hurt.

...5,000 miles per year...

One year is a long time so I would have Tesla check my car out at least yearly even if I don't drive it at all. There might be voluntary Service Bulletins that are not mandatory Recalls and it's good to let Tesla update your car.

But it's up to you because your car is covered for 4 years/50,000 miles whichever comes first anyhow.

Short simple answer: Yes.

Long, more detailed answer: No. Even if I don't keep my car for long but I still feel more comfortable to have mine inspected at least yearly because it's better to pay for preventive maintenance rather than free warranty towing at the least convenient time.

I was being tongue-in-cheek, so yeah, I get that. I guess finding out the service charge was one of the things that ruined the high after ordering (same with the horror stories of a body panel replacement taking a month). But seriously, $625 for this?

upload_2017-9-11_22-52-34.png

I was being tongue-in-cheek, so yeah, I get that. I guess finding out the service charge was one of the things that ruined the high after ordering (same with the horror stories of a body panel replacement taking a month). But seriously, $625 for this?

View attachment 247174
The list you are going off of is abbreviated, they actually perform quite a bit more than that. all items listed here: this: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/service/annual_service_inspection_checklist_en_us.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: renambot