Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

another $5k drop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been a BMW fan for a long time and now looking to buy a model S or X. I'm in Seattle and I've been to all Tesla showrooms in the area looking for Demo car deals .. I've gotten pretty close to buying a demo S but before I could make up my mind the car was gone.. I went back to the showroom asking for more details on ordering a demo car vs new 2023 models being built after March. So far they are very tight lipped about the upgrades that the car might have (HW4, better cameras..etc) All they are able to say is that the newer cars will have the Tesla logo removed and the name etched on the rear applique. They also say generic statements like Tesla cars are constantly being improvised with HW upgrades every month. Now although I'm glad that I waited I still wonder what upgrades do I get for paying more for non-demo car...Anyone else on the same boat?
We're probably looking at the same cars. I'm in Bellevue. I have now paid 3 order fees as lesser priced cars list weekly and have a new 2022 plaid that's scheduled for delivery. It came on Sat pm after someone must have rejected it at delivery. $97K w/ 21" and cream interior. Strangely on my "Price details" they have the base model S as $76,900 + $33090 for Plaid. Makes it look like that's the true S base price. I'm thinking to push out delivery to get closer to end of Q1. To answer your question, I feel like the upgrades are incremental. Will have the yoke removed for $700 instead of waiting until Q2.

Reactions: Nickos
Does the graph look right? I think this latest Model S pricing makes both the refresh LR and the Plaid the cheapest they have ever been, when I look at your data sheet, but the graph doesn't reflect that.
The graph is correct. Please note, trims of similar level are combined over time for simplicity.

The lowest price for a new Model S was $69,420 before the refresh in January 2021.

After the refresh, the lowest price was $79,990 until the $5,000 price increase July 2021.

I just spoke to my advisor and the manager at my delivery location in Rockville. They are adding the additional 5k discount as the car is still classified as “new.” That will be in addition to the market adjustment you already committed to. My new price is $81,770 out the door with dest fee and order fee inclusive in that number with a $9860 market adjustment and $89990 sales price.

I went to view the car last Saturday—immaculate paint, no panel gaps, one small interior issue they fixed on the spot. Car had 9 miles in it total!

Very pleased with this deal!
That's great considering I was in Silver Spring just last week, as well. I'm currently in a holding pattern as I ordered a car from PA, and was told in-person it'd be no big deal to have it brought down to MD (might have to pay a transport fee). Low and behold yesterday, they said that Tesla has issued a "transportation lock" on all vehicles, and they can no longer be moved. So I'm waiting to see if I can get an exception, but if I got another $5K off, I'd be absolutely ecstatic.

Mark, with the prices where they are after recent cuts, if you needed to do it today would you have gone Plaid or taken the savings?

Gone without plaid. No need for the extra power other than bragging rights IMO. Plus you get to keep another 5% range. Just depends, is money no object? do you need the best of the best?

Also- I would have still bought a demo car over ordering a new one. I was able to go and drive the car and look at it before I ever purchased it, so I knew the car would hold up and be as expected. I did not like the 6 seat interior either, so the 5 seat was the way to go for me. Way more utlity.

Reactions: Kare101 and dn325ci
We're probably looking at the same cars. I'm in Bellevue. I have now paid 3 order fees as lesser priced cars list weekly and have a new 2022 plaid that's scheduled for delivery. It came on Sat pm after someone must have rejected it at delivery. $97K w/ 21" and cream interior. Strangely on my "Price details" they have the base model S as $76,900 + $33090 for Plaid. Makes it look like that's the true S base price. I'm thinking to push out delivery to get closer to end of Q1. To answer your question, I feel like the upgrades are incremental. Will have the yoke removed for $700 instead of waiting until Q2.

I noticed the same interesting thing when I demoed an S and X last weekend. Listed the X as $84,999 and all wheel drive as $36,000 on the window sticker they stashed in the car.

Whoa, only $89.99K? That's almost as low as I paid about five years ago for my 2018 S 75D, or about $84K. Whatta deal today, especially not even "adjusted for inflation" 😆

True but does your $84k figure include federal tax credit? If you purchased the car new in 2018, it would've qualified for a $7,500 federal tax credit. The current MS (starting price of $91,630 including destination fee and order fee) doesn't qualify for any federal tax credits.

Of course, another way to look at this is that in Q4 2020, a new MS had a base price of $69,420 and therefore today's $89,990 is actually $20k higher.

Reactions: jsrawa
I just spoke to my advisor and the manager at my delivery location in Rockville. They are adding the additional 5k discount as the car is still classified as “new.” That will be in addition to the market adjustment you already committed to. My new price is $81,770 out the door with dest fee and order fee inclusive in that number with a $9860 market adjustment and $89990 sales price.

I went to view the car last Saturday—immaculate paint, no panel gaps, one small interior issue they fixed on the spot. Car had 9 miles in it total!

So they're not giving me an additional $5000 off.

My original price was $100,990 with an adjustment of $14630 for a price of $86130 before destination.

They're claiming the adjustment is inclusive of the new price drop.

Not sure if I should be annoyed or just go with it.

My original price was $100,990 with an adjustment of $14630 for a price of $86130 before destination.

It's Tesla. Be annoyed, it's your birth right and good practice prior to your eventual delivery.

Perhaps try the Tesla loyalty advisor, another store, or just flat out cancel.

EOQ is coming, always a push to deliver cars, who knows, maybe another price drop to be had...

I was in exactly the same boat yesterday (13k discount) so don't waste your time negotiating more, they won't budge (unless one day the Demo cars randomly do get reduced again)....I decided to pass as the value just wasn't there anymore for me vs a brand new build HW4 car....but it is, albeit reduced by 40%, a savings so each person may see it differently. One thing we can agree on - Tesla are silly for not adjusting the price. I wanted to say F them but I don't think EV rivals are there yet.

I was in exactly the same boat yesterday (13k discount) so don't waste your time negotiating more, they won't budge (unless one day the Demo cars randomly do get reduced again)....I decided to pass as the value just wasn't there anymore for me vs a brand new build HW4 car....but it is, albeit reduced by 40%, a savings so each person may see it differently. One thing we can agree on - Tesla are silly for not adjusting the price. I wanted to say F them but I don't think EV rivals are there yet.

These discounts are all over the place and really minimal when you consider we have proof of cars with new cameras and presumably HW4. Despite that I almost went for it but as someone else said end of quarter is near and my SA said S and Xs just aren’t moving since the tax credit in the 3/Y. I’m calling their bluff.

Oh and my trade in value with FSD was laughable, I was almost insulted.

True but does your $84k figure include federal tax credit? If you purchased the car new in 2018, it would've qualified for a $7,500 federal tax credit. The current MS (starting price of $91,630 including destination fee and order fee) doesn't qualify for any federal tax credits.

Of course, another way to look at this is that in Q4 2020, a new MS had a base price of $69,420 and therefore today's $89,990 is actually $20k higher.
Yeah I guess we can pick which spot in time most closely supports our individual positions, but how about inflation adjusted dollars? There's gotta be a difference in dollar values between 2018 and now. BTW, I leased the 2018 and back then Tesla gave no concessions towards reduced lease payments.

+1 to this... when I bought my 3 I actually got a great trade deal for my Mazda. Now I'm trying to move up to an S and got quoted CAD$36k (US$26k) for a 2020 P3! :rolleyes:

They really don't want to sell me an S...
Wow, 23.5k was the “high end” offer for my 2018 LeMR 3 with FSD. WITH FSD which Elon says makes your car an appreciating asset, HAHA. Tesla themselves seem to value it at around $500 which doesn’t matter to them because they can just flip a switch and instantly add it to your trade in to increase resale if you don’t have it. December the quote was 30k which I could live with but price was just too high on the S/X then. I’m in the market but either they need to come up on the trade in or down on the S, the decrease in value of my trade in negated much of the price decrease.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheWulf

Which advisor did you work with? I'm not getting anywhere with getting an additional $5K off.

They keep claiming that discount was already in the "market adjustment" for the demo version, which I'm not really buying. I just want the same market adjustment I was getting, just on the new price of the vehicle.

Yeah I guess we can pick which spot in time most closely supports our individual positions, but how about inflation adjusted dollars? There's gotta be a difference in dollar values between 2018 and now.

In inflation adjusted dollars, $84k excluding tax credit in 2018 would be around $100k today. With tax credit, it would be around $91k today. $$69,420 in 2020 would be around $80k today.

BTW, I leased the 2018 and back then Tesla gave no concessions towards reduced lease payments.

Tesla did apply the tax credit to the lease, however, by rolling the $7,500 tax credit into the residual value which lowered the payment that way. For example, if a car had a $44k residual, Tesla added in the $7,500 tax credit and made the residual $51,500.

In inflation adjusted dollars, $84k excluding tax credit in 2018 would be around $100k today. With tax credit, it would be around $91k today. $$69,420 in 2020 would be around $80k today.

Tesla did apply the tax credit to the lease, however, by rolling the $7,500 tax credit into the residual value which lowered the payment that way. For example, if a car had a $44k residual, Tesla added in the $7,500 tax credit and made the residual $51,500.
to the best of my memory the residual was in the neighborhood of $69,000 so what you say makes sense.