Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will/Can Plaid Prices go lower? (Considering ordering,, or wait?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup. Limited by traction and / or motor amps until 60 mph. Then limited by the battery maximum power output from about 60 mph and up. So I'd guess upgrading the battery won't do much for the 0-60, but would cut the quarter mile time to compete with Lucid.

Interestingly, the Lucid Sapphire has essentially the exact same tires as the Plaid, except the fronts are on 20" rims instead of 21s: "265/35R20 front and 295/30R21 rear Pilot Sport 4S rubbers". The Sapphire weighs 500 lbs more, so maybe that is how they put more power the ground to get a 1.89s 0-60?

View attachment 982679
The tires are actually different. The saphhire tires have a cup compound in the center and 4s on the edges.

Realistically speaking the plaid is apex of a high performance street sedan. You’re at the limit of tire technology and road surfaces. Lucid is heavier with compromised tires that will wear out faster, almost certainly cost more. Plus they are on a fixed suspension compared to air for the S which is better for a street car.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
They probably could cut the prices further considering they're able to sell the X plaid at the same price. Whether or not they will drop the price further is another matter.

Can't say I'm not tempted at the current prices, despite not being a fan of the company any longer and knowing it'd be a poor financial decision. >1000hp for that price is something.

They probably could cut the prices further considering they're able to sell the X plaid at the same price. Whether or not they will drop the price further is another matter.

Can't say I'm not tempted at the current prices, despite not being a fan of the company any longer and knowing it'd be a poor financial decision. >1000hp for that price is something.
It is amazing how value does supersede “moral outrage” or whatever reason one may have. I saw this on the mache forums too. So many bashed Tesla and said no way would they ever buy one…but ultimately caved when the model Y value was just too good to pass up.

It is amazing how value does supersede “moral outrage” or whatever reason one may have. I saw this on the mache forums too. So many bashed Tesla and said no way would they ever buy one…but ultimately caved when the model Y value was just too good to pass up.
I mean it’s still a factor. I definitely would have ordered one by now if it wasn’t for certain other factors about the company’s leadership.

Well that and the lack of ultrasonics give me real pause for such a big car.

• Funny
Reactions: SO16 and brkaus
I mean it’s still a factor. I definitely would have ordered one by now if it wasn’t for certain other factors about the company’s leadership.

Well that and the lack of ultrasonics give me real pause for such a big car.
lol. If the buying decision meant you had to date or be besties with the CEO sure not buying. As that’s not the case I have no idea Why it matters. When he was at near bankruptcy he was everyone’s hero. When they accomplished what they envisioned as a company “master plan” and became overly rich they must be hated lol. Every CEO from Every OEM is a shill and overpaid. Luckily your not buying them.

I'm a supporter of Tesla and leadership, but I assume if you're not then that principled stance probably supersedes any pricing?
Eh it's just conflicting interests. The car enthusiast in me gets excited over the possibility of buying of the fastest street car for under 6 figures. The rest of me detests the leadership (well the CEO in particular). Which one is more important? We'll see

lol. If the buying decision meant you had to date or be besties with the CEO sure not buying. As that’s not the case I have no idea Why it matters. When he was at near bankruptcy he was everyone’s hero. When they accomplished what they envisioned as a company “master plan” and became overly rich they must be hated lol. Every CEO from Every OEM is a shill and overpaid. Luckily your not buying them.
My distaste for the CEO has nothing to do with his net worth.

• Funny
Reactions: SO16 and brkaus
I too consider this in making purchase decisions and my views on Elon do not help in this regard. If, for example, there were two equal options for a car that offered similar features for a similar price, I'm probably picking anything other than a Tesla. However, as of now, no one really offers a similar product for a similar price, so distaste for Elon or not, we don't really have a choice in the matter.

• Funny
Reactions: snorlax and SO16
Yup. Limited by traction and / or motor amps until 60 mph. Then limited by the battery maximum power output from about 60 mph and up. So I'd guess upgrading the battery won't do much for the 0-60, but would cut the quarter mile time to compete with Lucid.

Interestingly, the Lucid Sapphire has essentially the exact same tires as the Plaid, except the fronts are on 20" rims instead of 21s: "265/35R20 front and 295/30R21 rear Pilot Sport 4S rubbers". The Sapphire weighs 500 lbs more, so maybe that is how they put more power the ground to get a 1.89s 0-60?

View attachment 982679
I don't think this shows what you think it shows. You said limited motor amps until 60. It shows the opposite. It shows full torque available until 60 and then torque dropping off. This is a graph of power, not torque.

I don't think this shows what you think it shows. You said limited motor amps until 60. It shows the opposite. It shows full torque available until 60 and then torque dropping off. This is a graph of power, not torque.
Exactly. The motor amps / torque might be able to go higher below 60 mph, because there is plenty of power available from the battery. But, the Motor torque is limited by traction or the limit of how much current can be sent to the motor without damaging it or the controller.

I'm not really sure why the P100D could fit 8,256 cells, while the Plaid only has 7,920 cells.

Cooling. Plaid levels of power mean much bigger thermal loads.

This is also why Plaids are not going to something like 4680 cells - the two-generation-back little skinny 18650's have better surface area despite being a pain in the butt to assemble and connect together.