Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will/Can Plaid Prices go lower? (Considering ordering,, or wait?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Team, NOT looking for input on the price drop and depreciaiton/loss/used values.
QUESTION:
I was thinking about a PLAID when they dropped to 110, now they are 89.9K....is it possible they will go any lower? I can't see any room for 'another' 10k price drop, as the last drop was only 5k on the regular S version.

Thoughts?

I agree. The way Tesla fluctuates it's prices it's hard to guess when prices will go up or down. If you can afford it now at the current rock-bottom price, I'd order it now. You'll love the car (at least I think and hope you will), so if the price drops after you make the purchase, let that love override any angst about "over-paying." That's the mental attitude I adopted when I purchased my X for $104,000 earlier this year - ouch....

I'm exactly in this boat. I've said for a year that if Plaid dropped below $100K I would buy.

However, the calculus in interesting now with new Highland and especially Cybertruck coming out. There is no question the new hotness will switch to Cybertruck for a lot of people (not everyone) but with the price point in the same 70-90K zone, there will be a segment of people spending on Cybertruck who may have otherwise been an S/X buyer.

It's hard to tell what Tesla will do. They have already said the S/X volume is nearly irrelevant and they aren't really doing it for the profits of it. That said, I don't think they have a lot more room to drop and still make some ROI above COGS, R&D, and SG&A.

I'm exactly in this boat. I've said for a year that if Plaid dropped below $100K I would buy. However, the calculus in interesting now with new Highland and especially Cybertruck coming out. There is no question the new hotness will switch to Cybertruck for a lot of people (not everyone) but with the price point in the same 70-90K zone, there will be a segment of people spending on Cybertruck who may have otherwise been an S/X buyer. It's hard to tell what Tesla will do. They have already said the S/X volume is nearly irrelevant and they aren't really doing it for the profits of it.
Sorry, I don't see this. MSP or M3/CT is like trying to decide on a savory dish for dinner or a piece of pie. Two different desires. The last two will not do what the Plaid offers. Get the Plaid so you don't feel like you've talked to yourself for a year in vain.;)

Sorry, I don't see this. MSP or M3/CT is like trying to decide on a savory dish for dinner or a piece of pie. Two different desires. The last two will not do what the Plaid offers. Get the Plaid so you don't feel like you've talked to yourself for a year in vain.;)
Yes, but no. Don't think either/or. Think both hands. Nothing is 100% or 0% - people's buying decisions are more segmented than that. Sure, there will be people who decide as you do - perhaps a majority of people. There are others who decide they like the latest, or they've never had a truck before and want to try it, or start to view their needs differently to take the bikes to the trail or whatever.

My point: S/X sales have been slow for sometime. Tesla having a significant new product at a similar price point will not help. This will syphon off some portion of buyers, mark my words.

EDIT: I own a 2019 Ram 1500, among others. I've never owned a truck before. I remember when the new DT Ram 1500 launched in 2019 it brought the biggest number of conquest buyers any full-size truck brand had ever seen, and a significant portion of the buyers were coming from luxury car brands. Why? That version of the Ram brought a luxurious interior and features to the segment, along with a new level of ride and NVH control. People were willing to scratch their luxury itch with an alternative option.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Trust me, you'll love it.

They've already increased the price in two different ways. The referral money is only $500 now instead of $1,000, and the referral points are now only 10,000 point instead of 20,000 (which is around $600 in value). They also increased the cost of the Yoke from $250 to $1,000 (if you wanted that). So all told, that's $1,850 more than when they first dropped the price. As someone else said, you just never know what their demand looks like, nor what their willingness to carry inventory over the quarter (or ship them overseas).

The other way to look at it is, if it goes down another $2,000 or $3,000, you'll have saved money, but if it goes up $5,000 or $10,000, the odds are you'll never buy one because you "missed out" on the deal. Which means you'll probably never own a Plaid. And I'm telling you, you don't want to miss out on a Plaid! It's such a great car (and this coming from a 2017 Model S 100D), plus it's an awesome feeling knowing that you have the fastest car on the road!

My bet is that prices go back up after Q3 closes. Prices were lowered to goose sales of other models in anticipation of overall sales going down while people wait for the new Model 3 to be released in Q4. Allowing FSD to be transferred to new purchases without cost until 9/30 is part of the same playbook. Sales concerns will lessen in Q4, so the incentive to keep prices so low will fade. I'd say buy it now. If we're not at the absolute bottom of what the Model S price will be, we're near it.

My MSP will be here the 25th. Got the deal on Ultra red, yoke and referral, ($90k ish) but it's a '23. Thinking of cancelling and ordering around mid november so it will be a '24. Thinking I could afford to pay 7 to 8k more and come out better in 3 years when I go to sell. And the price could drop more. Thoughts?

• Funny
Reactions: racerx2005
My MSP will be here the 25th. Got the deal on Ultra red, yoke and referral, ($90k ish) but it's a '23. Thinking of cancelling and ordering around mid november so it will be a '24. Thinking I could afford to pay 7 to 8k more and come out better in 3 years when I go to sell. And the price could drop more. Thoughts?
Is this your first Tesla? it sure looks that way. Tesla does not follow the same legacy automaker “model year” pattern … look it up.

Your first mistake was getting the car with the yoke, i.e. nobody wants that, forum members taking delivery recently were told by Tesla staff that 9 out of 10 cars had the traditional steering wheel.

Selling any Tesla with a yoke will be just as hard as selling a car with Carfax accident reported.

As per countless threads, the price may go up? down? who knows? and by how much? nobody knows.