Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another day, another bug - Overheat protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have seen this also, I think the AC system needs to be on and ac turned on when you shut the car down. My thought is the system will turn on at 105 but if the ac was off it will not turn it on.

I do not use auto for the ac. If you are in auto mode, it may be fine.

I was in Redding CA a few weeks ago. The interior temperasure was 114. Good time to try that new feature. After I turned it on the temperature oscillated between 95 and 109. Still too high in my opinion.

It is too high for comfort but it is survivable. It means one won't bake a child if the child is unintentionally left in the car. I see that as the primary advantage. Don't get me wrong, leaving a child unattended in a closed car is abuse and should include prison time. But in a Tesla with cabin overheat prevention, it is very much less likely to become a tradgedy. There is a huge difference in survival time at 95-109F compared to140-160F.

It is too high for comfort but it is survivable. It means one won't bake a child if the child is unintentionally left in the car. I see that as the primary advantage. Don't get me wrong, leaving a child unattended in a closed car is abuse and should include prison time. But in a Tesla with cabin overheat prevention, it is very much less likely to become a tradgedy. There is a huge difference in survival time at 95-109F compared to140-160F.
Sad thing is it happens by accident.
I have a totally unsourced memory that it's about one child a week in the US. Usually baby on the way to day care, and parent just drives to work and forget they didn't drop off.
Bloody tragic, I don't know how I'd live with myself if it happened to me.

Ours works pretty consistently and I've been monitoring it for several months now (and take phone screen captures periodically too). If the car's been parked overnight and sitting in the driveway I do sit in it each morning to activate the "timer" function. I have on a few occasions seen it go above 104-105F when I've checked the app for the first time that day, but I find that in those cases when I've checked the app and watch it, it will then bring it down to the appropriate range in a few minutes. Battery level never anywhere near 20% btw. For the life of us don't know why it happens occasionally and so now just make sure when it's hot and in the sun I just check the app early on in the day and going into peak heating time.

I have seen this also, I think the AC system needs to be on and ac turned on when you shut the car down. My thought is the system will turn on at 105 but if the ac was off it will not turn it on.

I do not use auto for the ac. If you are in auto mode, it may be fine.
In my experience, you do not need Auto mode selected, nor do you need the A/C to be actually turned on when leaving the car. I try to always leave the car with the fresh air setting selected (which is a Custom mode), so any condensation in the ducts will have a chance to dry out, and I manually turn the A/C off.

Overheat protection seems to always work fine for me when I check it via the app. I see the interior temperature hit 104F, then go down into the 80s, then climb again to 104 once the A/C goes off, and so on.