Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another discussion about EVs as they compare to ICEVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's pretty simple - EVs work great if you drive locally and can charge at home, like I do. If you drive long distances at highway speeds, EV charging becomes a nuisance
Not being defensive. I am relating my experience of driving my Model S over long distances at US highway speeds using the Supercharger network. It works very well. Have done over a dozen 400+mile trips to Southern California. Have driven to Utah and back. Did a 3,000 mile trip to Montana and back over two weeks.

You keep repeating your position that driving an EV long distances is a "nuisance". But you appear to have zero experience doing it. I am saying that I have the experience and it is not a nuisance. I find it preferable to driving an ICE.

If your disagreement was based on your experience I would have more respect for your position. And your continuing to reference driving an EV on the autobahn in Germany does not bolster your position.

Thanks for pointing that out! That is indeed a fundamental difference.

My 9.8kW solar system does, on balance over the course of the year, produce all the "fuel" I need for my two Teslas. Right at my house, with zero emissions. That is certainly a fundamental difference compared to an ICE.

Those who want to drill an oil well on their property and build a refinery to fuel their ICE are welcome to do so. Good luck...
Your solar PV system charges your two Teslas overnight? Interesting.

Perhaps, perhaps.

We shall see.

But the general point remains: replacing the battery is a huge, huge maintenance cost.
So now you have modified your position from being a "fact" (your word) to "perhaps".

My position is based on existing data about Tesla battery degradation numbers over the first several years of ownership, with some owners already putting over 100K miles on their car. The degradation is minor.

Your new statement is that a new battery, 8 or 10 years from now, will be a "huge, huge maintenance cost." But the data shows that Tesla is driving down the per kWh pack cost dramatically in the past 5 years. It is currently well under $200/kWh. Tesla's goal is to get it below $100/kWh. I think that can definitely be achieved within a decade, and Elon and JB think it will be much sooner.

At $100/kWh, replacing a Tesla vehicle battery at the 10 year mark will be less than the cost of replacing the engine/transmission in a Mercedes or BMW or any comparable vehicle.

And it is very unlikely that a Tesla electric motor will need replacing at the 10 year/150K mile mark. Nor is it likely that the Tesla gearbox will need replacing, though I concede it might. Not a "huge, huge" expense however.

Your solar PV system charges your two Teslas overnight? Interesting.
Please re-read my post. I said "My 9.8kW solar system does, on balance over the course of the year, produce all the "fuel" I need for my two Teslas."

Obviously the sun doesn't shine at night, but thanks for clarifying.

Over the course of the year, my solar system produces more electricity than I consume. So yes, besides powering my home it also powers my cars.

@ecarfan I think you may be taking this too literally and argumentatively. I simply took in your input and said we shall see.

My original post already had a wide range of 1000-2000 dollar/year eventual cost for battery replacement. For a 20000 dollar battery that is 10-20 years. It was just ballpark thinking out loud. Your data is welcome.

My main point was to note battery replacement is a significant maintenance cost once it gets to it. It needs to be factored in on some level.

Elon did allude to spacecraft-like controls and was all like wait until you see the real controls, certainly leaving the impression that this was not the final design regarding the steering wheel area. Granted, the speculation about a HUD in particular (based on some HUD/AR hires and general technology news on full windshield HUDs coming), went beyond what Musk said. But unless the spaceship comment was mostly hubris - which unfortunately Tesla does nowadays more and more - it is hard to see what else could qualify, other than a HUD or other large departure in the control and instrumentation area in the production version...

HBL_Cosmin: "@elonmusk 1.Ferrari like steering wheel 2.Move stick functions(turn signals,horn,etc.) on a paddle shifter behind wheel. That would be cool!"

elonmusk: "@HBL_Cosmin Wait until you see the real steering controls and system for the 3. It feels like a spaceship."

Elon Musk on Twitter
So is that right? He said it feels like a spaceship? Not looks like a spaceship? I think it would be easy to say that driving a Tesla feels like driving a spaceship relative to what it feels like to drive a non-electric car. I think Elon's got it covered if he said "feels".

Please re-read my post. I said "My 9.8kW solar system does, on balance over the course of the year, produce all the "fuel" I need for my two Teslas."

Obviously the sun doesn't shine at night, but thanks for clarifying.

Over the course of the year, my solar system produces more electricity than I consume. So yes, besides powering my home it also powers my cars.
Except that it doesn't actually power the Teslas, unless you have some sort of multiple battery-pack solution which seems impractical. The electricity you are producing is not the electricity you are using for the Teslas.

Except that it doesn't actually power the Teslas, unless you have some sort of multiple battery-pack solution which seems impractical. The electricity you are producing is not the electricity you are using for the Teslas.
I don't think it ultimately matters. Feeding that electricity to the grid and using the grid at night (with the grid acting like a "battery") is likely more efficient than doing a purely in home battery solution. Either way, he offset his usage completely.

This doesn't become a problem until renewables becomes a huge portion of the grid (in which case the grid would need energy storage), but we are a long way from there.

I don't think it ultimately matters. Feeding that electricity to the grid and using the grid at night (with the grid acting like a "battery") is likely more efficient than doing a purely in home battery solution. Either way, he offset his usage completely

Yeah, the argument that someone is not using the exact electrons is about as valid as pointing out that the cash I withdraw from the ATM isn't the exact same paper deposited years prior.

If the advertised range for a Tesla is say about 280 miles, when cruising at high speeds does it significantly decrease the range? Let's say 80-85mph?

Tesla doesn't advertise. They do post the EPA rating for their cars. Those ratings are not representative of cruising long distances at high speed. This is the case with ICE and EV alike. Cruising at high speed reduces the range of ALL cars, but since it is significantly the result of drag, EVs designed, as they are, with more attention to drag coefficient, tend to be better as a rule.

The electricity you are producing is not the electricity you are using for the Teslas.

The electrons in wires in your house get reused over and over. They move about a foot back and forth 60 times a second, they never get far. Electrons are not distinguishable even in theory, so your claim is not even wrong.

Thank you kindly.

Just out of curiousity for the Germans posting (not trying to enter the debate, just want to know) is it possible to drive the autobahns at speed with a Model S, expecially an 90D or better, if you stop at the supercharging stations somewhat frequently?

About the longest stretch I could find was between Berlin and Leipzig at 190km. I drive a Volt (Ampera) so I definitely understand how range diminishes with speed, but it seems like you could still do a LOT better than 100km/h and have plenty of range on arrival?

The former track instructor in me hopes you don't bust out 190km/h stints without fairly frequent breaks, by time if not by distance! That seems to make about as much sense as everybody carrying semiautos on their hips and the person with the lease judgement/self control being the tipping point. (Don't start, just showing all cultures have their blind spots.)
I've only experience the autoroutes in France, where the trucks and slower traffic go about the same speed as here in the U.S. only the lane discipline was so much better it made me want to cry!

Just out of curiousity for the Germans posting (not trying to enter the debate, just want to know) is it possible to drive the autobahns at speed with a Model S, expecially an 90D or better, if you stop at the supercharging stations somewhat frequently?

About the longest stretch I could find was between Berlin and Leipzig at 190km. I drive a Volt (Ampera) so I definitely understand how range diminishes with speed, but it seems like you could still do a LOT better than 100km/h and have plenty of range on arrival?
Sure, you could look at the Bjørn videos, for instance.

A Model S will have around 20% better range than the Model X at 150+ km/h, and a 75 kWh Model 3 will also have better range at 150+ km/h than a 90/100 kWh Model X, as it has much less air resistance.

(A Model S 100D will have around 200 miles range at 150 km/h or 93 mph, and around 100 miles range at 200 km/h or 124 mph.)

Last edited:
Tesla doesn't advertise. They do post the EPA rating for their cars. Those ratings are not representative of cruising long distances at high speed. This is the case with ICE and EV alike. Cruising at high speed reduces the range of ALL cars, but since it is significantly the result of drag, EVs designed, as they are, with more attention to drag coefficient, tend to be better as a rule.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas which may be a possible answer from Yggdrasil below... Basically, if I drive HWY miles at an average of 70-80mph, how many miles on this road trip can I get before having to recharge?

Sure, you could look at the Bjørn videos, for instance.

A Model S will have around 20% better range than the Model X at 150+ km/h, and a 75 kWh Model 3 will also have better range at 150+ km/h than a 90/100 kWh Model X, as it has much less air resistance.

(A Model S 100D will have around 200 miles range at 150 km/h or 93 mph, and around 100 miles range at 200 km/h or 124 mph.)

So when Elon says that Tesla (Instert car and battery size here) gets XXX miles when full, if I am doing a legitamate road trip and am averaging close to 80 on that drive, I'm most likely NOT going to get the full XXX miles but rather potentially 70% of that?