Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another dumb idea, pedestrian low speed noise makers.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bicycle or unicycle to work everyday. Sounds like my area is noisier than yours because I don't hear them.
Pedestrian noise maker would only need to work under 18.6 mph so adding it won't help if you don't hear them already. (assuming they pass you faster than that)

Tire noise is pretty loud in my P3D+ there's no way you wouldn't hear me coming.

Cars already have a regular horn. And tesla horns are loud. Most drivers would honk at some idiot bumbling into the roadway in front of them to avoid getting the front of their car all dented and bloody. But maybe we can have some fun with this pedestrian speaker, if it can have its sound changed. Either program it to play a tune like an ice cream truck, or at random intervals make it scream GET OUT OF THE WAY!!! really loudly.

I'm ok with noise backing up since it's already hard to see backing up in a crowded parking lot. But making noise going forward is just dumb. People just need to learn to look rather than judge things by sound cues. With more EV's on the road, it's something everybody will have to get used to.

Important to note that lots of pedestrians are getting hit every day due to drivers being distracted, driving impaired, or speeding. Noise isn't going to stop these accidents. And there are people who will just walk in front of your car and don't care as well. Like usually you would both stop, one waves you to go ahead, and someone goes. But there are people who will literally step right in front of your moving car, inches from you. They see you, but they still do it. These are the same people that'll win lawsuits if they get tapped.

Anyways, going EV was supposed to reduce noise pollution, I don't think we need more of it.

Cars already have a regular horn. And tesla horns are loud. Most drivers would honk at some idiot bumbling into the roadway in front of them to avoid getting the front of their car all dented and bloody. But maybe we can have some fun with this pedestrian speaker, if it can have its sound changed. Either program it to play a tune like an ice cream truck, or at random intervals make it scream GET OUT OF THE WAY!!! really loudly.

I wouldn't mind if the "noisemaker" could be programmed to custom sounds, and could be turned on-off at my discretion.

My picks for my M3P would be:
  • Top fuel dragster at idle
  • LT-1 Camaro
  • Charger Hellcat
  • Jaguar F-Type

Last edited:
Since our cars can recognize and identify a pedestrian, can't they program the noise function to operate when it detects a pedestrian or an object?

This sounds like a good solution.

My wife's Audi A3 e-tron makes a whirring sound at low speed when in full electric mode. I have no idea where it's coming from (speaker somewhere?), but can hear it every time it exits/enters garage from our living room above. It goes away after 10 mph or so.

My Leaf had an optional noise maker from day one (after the 2011 model year you could not turn it off either.) I was actually surprised that the Model 3 didn't have one. I thought they were required by law. In the Leaf the noise maker is only functional at low speeds and you can't really hear it inside the car. The Leaf also had a back up beeper. Another feature I was surprised the Model 3 doesn't have. Let's be realistic people, you don't want run over someone even if it's not your fault and blind people need to hear cars to cross streets safely. It's not a big imposition on us.

My Leaf had an optional noise maker from day one (after the 2011 model year you could not turn it off either.) I was actually surprised that the Model 3 didn't have one. I thought they were required by law. In the Leaf the noise maker is only functional at low speeds and you can't really hear it inside the car. The Leaf also had a back up beeper. Another feature I was surprised the Model 3 doesn't have. Let's be realistic people, you don't want run over someone even if it's not your fault and blind people need to hear cars to cross streets safely. It's not a big imposition on us.
The law states that in the future it cannot be optional.

ICE vehicles are also getting considerably quieter at idle speeds. No laws for them? Hmm.
This is 100% my objection.
If it is about safety, great - mandate the noisemaker on hybrids as well. And the modern diesels that shut down the motor when coasting. Otherwise, it is just a measure to decelerate the world’s transition to renewable transport. And I’ll be agin’ it as being completely unfair and dumb. And I’ll win in a fair trial.

...As for my choice of sound, I’d totally use the “pair of coconuts banging them together” please and thank you!

A pedestrian horn with a fart sound would work best, and aligns with elon's toilet humor Easter egg. Who doesn't turn around and look when they hear someone rip a wet sounding one?
You may be onto something there. If the law says they have to make noise, then lets make the most obnoxious noises ever and get them to repeal the law!

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Earl and wenkan
The smart has a low Silon from Battlestar galáctica kinda sound and the Leaf a higher pitch type of sound.
Sorry to get OT and excuse my slight OCD on spelling errors but it is Cylon. Used to watch the '70s (original) version, campy as it was.

Getting back OT... I do wish the 3 had some sort of an audible backup warning for people behind me. It might make it a little more safe but for pedestrians with their noses planted into their cell phone, nothing short of a semi's air horn will get them to pay attention.

Otherwise, it is just a measure to decelerate the world’s transition to renewable transport.

Seriously? You think there's going to be people that say "gee, I'd really love to get a Tesla/EV, but that damn pedestrian noisemaker... nah, I'll buy an ICE instead".

Ok, fine, we can't say that number is zero, sure. But if the pedestrian horn actually decelerates the "transition to renewable transport," the deceleration because of that is asymptotically approaching zero (but not zero).

More hyperbole, please.

Seriously? You think there's going to be people that say "gee, I'd really love to get a Tesla/EV, but that damn pedestrian noisemaker... nah, I'll buy an ICE instead".
We see people complaining about similarly small issues on TMC all the time, so it is plausible that for some it is going to be a show-stopper ;)

Seriously. If it ain't to promote safety, then it's to demote EVs.
And if it's only BEVs being targeted and not Large Silently Moving Objects, the rule ain't designed to promote safety.

I agree that there's a real conspiracy here in the proposed laws.

But what would the real net effect be (in actual lost sales) for this particular issue? Especially since the feature is so easily defeatable.

Surely not zero, but close enough to zero to not really matter.