Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another fatal autopilot crash - China

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another fatal Tesla crash reportedly on Autopilot emerges, Model S hits a streetsweeper truck – caught on dashcam

This one looks horrific... Another warning I guess to ALWAYS KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE ROAD.

I really hope they don't disable autopilot after these morons fail to use common sense...
Actually, we don't know if it is autopilot related or not. Tesla couldn't download the logs due to the severity of the wreck and the family apparently hasn't allowed direct access to the vehicle.

I was always thinking that it was a bad move to use these "statistic" numbers, mainly for 2 reasons:

1. As soon as second fatality happens, they will backfire
2. Using statistics in such cases will not improve public perception of what AP really is, plus it will not address the emotional aspect of the topic appropriately

How could the driver not see this coming...???

The same way someone could miss a tractor trailer crossing in front of you.. by *more than likely* being distracted by a cell phone or something else inside the car. Whether on AP or not doesn't matter.. since it's dangerous to take your eyes off the road in either situation.

The same way someone could miss a tractor trailer crossing in front of you.. by *more than likely* being distracted by a cell phone or something else inside the car. Whether on AP or not doesn't matter.. since it's dangerous to take your eyes off the road in either situation.
And this is what Tesla needs to start saying.
Stop investigating what new restrictions you can add to autopilot to make it worse and more dangerous, and start fighting back against this ridiculous perception that AP is even capable of being at fault when it's clear that it is a driver assistance feature and not a driver replacement feature.
I know it's not politically correct to blame a dead person, but it is almost guaranteed to be their fault, so come out and say it!

On AP and not paying attention. Or not on AP, and paying even less attention. Or a medical issue. Hard to tell.

In this video at 0:54 you can hear him singing just before the accident. Doesn't look like a medical issue. Highly likely that autopilot was on (because the car was perfectly centered in the lane all the time) and he wasn't watching the road. He had maybe 4 or 5 seconds to react.

Last edited: