Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Model S feature wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read somewhere that Mercedes goes UP to 2 second. Useless feature then as the recommended distance is 3 seconds.
I have 3 settings on my BMW. They do not say exactly what they are. But my guess from timing it in my head as a pass things is that they are 1 second, 1.5 seconds and 2 seconds. Even the 2 second one is way further than it should be and I usually use the 1.5 second setting. 2 seconds is so far behind that people cut you off to get in between and one second makes me feel like OMG I am TOO close. .5 seconds would be rediculous to me anyway. 1 second is like 85 feet per second which is pretty close to the 50 feet mentioned in drafting. But half of that would be closer only it would be VERY scary IMHO.

Looks like some sort of lane change warning system will be available. Took this picture of the passenger rear view mirror. Look at my palm.
collision avoidance.jpg

As the comments section notes: it doesn't mean it will happen for the US market. It probably won't happen in the US market unless someone is willing to bump up against the NHTSA antiquated rules. Tesla might be willing to fight the rules in the future, but currently they've got to focus all their efforts on building cars. If Audi is willing to do it, then good for them, and Tesla can benefit from their work.

They aren't really comparable are they? The camera is aimed way lower and is meant for parking.

Have you test driven a Model S? If not, when you do try it out as a rear view mirror. The camera provides a very wide and tall field of vision that covers anything behind you that you'd be concerned about. It also covers blind spots in the right and left rear corners of the car, providing some useful redundancy with the side view mirrors. I was very pleasantly surprised to discover this functionality. When my Model S is finally delivered I'll be using it as a rear view mirror in heavy traffic and other circumstances where I want an extra margin of safety.

They should definatley have surround view cameras (in the front, driver and passenger sides, in addition to the current rear camera). Something sort of like how Infiniti/Nissan has done is what I'm thinking of. They should at least make this an option on the car, if not standard. Another option I would like to see would be Adaptive cruise control and also the ability for the Model S to park itself as some of the newer cars do now.

Last edited: