Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Panel Gap Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

beer

Jun 6, 2020
Boston
Hey all,

Long time follower of this forum and I'm a first time Tesla owner. Just took delivery yesterday (9/6) in Charlotte, NC. Looking for advice on if I should return or not.

Config:
MY LR White / Black Interior / Induction
VIN 402XX
Exact Build Date: 8/19/20

Main issues:

1. Panel gaps (attached photos). Mainly the two rear doors seem misaligned, and the trim is not perfectly flush against the glass. Taillight near charging port seems a bit misaligned.

2. Trunk is not latching automatically, needs to be pushed all the way closed by pressing down.

Everything else is great. Very happy with the paint, interior, wheels, etc.

Tesla said (of course) that they'll fix the gaps with a follow-up service appointment, they didn't try and say these are "in spec", at least yet, and I have them all documented with them as pre-delivery concerns. I live 200mi away from the closest Service Center (Charleston, SC), so they said they'll be sending mobile service to fix the gaps and trunk.

What do you think, is this really bad? should I return before my 7 days is up? I appreciate everyone's input!

Attachments

• IMG_20200907_092504.jpg
    IMG_20200907_092504.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_20200907_092453.jpg
    IMG_20200907_092453.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_20200907_092438.jpg
    IMG_20200907_092438.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_20200907_092421.jpg
    IMG_20200907_092421.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 162
  • Informative
Reactions: Maryland
Hey all,

Long time follower of this forum and I'm a first time Tesla owner. Just took delivery yesterday (9/6) in Charlotte, NC. Looking for advice on if I should return or not.

Config:
MY LR White / Black Interior / Induction
VIN 402XX
Exact Build Date: 8/19/20

Main issues:

1. Panel gaps (attached photos). Mainly the two rear doors seem misaligned, and the trim is not perfectly flush against the glass. Taillight near charging port seems a bit misaligned.

2. Trunk is not latching automatically, needs to be pushed all the way closed by pressing down.

Everything else is great. Very happy with the paint, interior, wheels, etc.

Tesla said (of course) that they'll fix the gaps with a follow-up service appointment, they didn't try and say these are "in spec", at least yet, and I have them all documented with them as pre-delivery concerns. I live 200mi away from the closest Service Center (Charleston, SC), so they said they'll be sending mobile service to fix the gaps and trunk.

What do you think, is this really bad? should I return before my 7 days is up? I appreciate everyone's input!

easy fix.

Do you have pictures of the full car from the side views so those of us waiting for white MYs can see Tesla is able to produce matching painted doors and bumpers?

thanks!

As for your panel misalignments, I believe Tesla is able to fix those. This might take more than one trip to do it, but stay on top of them and they'll get it done.

Suggest the Black door trim alignment they can fix, but taillight might be more of a challenge for them.

Had two of the issues you mention on my June build VIN 180xx. The SC was able to fix the black rear door trim alignment in my first visit for me, but have been unable to fix the rear light alignment completely. My rear light issue slightly different than yours, in that my right body mounted light appears to stick out more than the corresponding lift gate mounted light. Also the lift gate does not cover the inner body of the right light when down. The left light is better. Response from the SC was that it was in spec.

Thanks everyone for the advice! Good to know that most of my gaps should be an easy fix. I'll plan to get a service appointment and get these taken care of. As requested I've added a few pictures of the car left and right side. Thanks again!

Attachments

• IMG_20200907_193422.jpg
    IMG_20200907_193422.jpg
    548.7 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_20200907_193403.jpg
    IMG_20200907_193403.jpg
    533.5 KB · Views: 142
damn really? I thought this looked really bad. Mine was nearly perfect according to Tesla advisors. I got it vin 1xxx. I did have other minor issues and still do here and there though. Never ends lol

It's hard to call from close in photos, but I thought the same. Given the number of issues, I would have been inclined to not accept delivery. Too many people have been told that things can be fixed, only not to have them fixed after a service visit.

Reactions: Brown1428
The good news for you is that your front bumper, hood, headlights, fenders, and front doors all look pretty nicely fitted and aligned. The rear doors are comically bad as you noted, however, these can be fixed pretty easily by someone who knows what they are doing. Good luck!

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Congrats on your new Model Y, and those issues you documented are nothing new nor hard to fix at all! SC can take care of them easily. The best part is that you had no paint issues, which is a good news in itself! Lots of white Model Y owners discover color mismatch on their bumper/door panels

The good news for you is that your front bumper, hood, headlights, fenders, and front doors all look pretty nicely fitted and aligned. The rear doors are comically bad as you noted, however, these can be fixed pretty easily by someone who knows what they are doing. Good luck!
My SC botched the rear doors minor adjustments and made it notably worse.

Haha same here! What turds. The guys in the SC have no pride in their work.
They managed to fix my rear door height alignment but created a new alignment gap on the lower portion. Geez.
I have since taken it upon myself to just do it myself.

OK, well, since you mention it:

My SC damaged my front door so badly that it had to be entirely repainted, and the doors will still misaligned! My car had extensive alignment issues and in the end the only way to get satisfactory results was to do it myself. Still, a friend in Ohio had his done at the SC and they did excellent work.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
while its an easy fix for some of what you have going on - AND - it strongly depend son the expertise at your SC - you could walk away with a. damaged car that require repainting. Additionally - the rear doors are problematic to align and make flush with the body. The charge port has a fix - certified from Tesla - that the dolts at the SC don't even know about! I educate them on it and they say - ahh don't know if we want to try that - which includes removing the port assembly and actually banging at the frame of the body with a hammer - the frame behind the port - but if the guy misses -- guess what - so - im leaving mine protruding. If anyone wants the official Tesla service bulletin - get me.