Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another rejected model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First let me say that this forum has been invaluable in preparing for my delivery by arming me with a checklist to evaluate my car.
Today was my delivery day and my wife and I were super excited to bring home our second tesla. We currently have a model 3 we picked up in 2018. We love the M3 and while we did have one paint issue on delivery, the rest of the car was flawless.
Today when we went to pick up our Y, we found so many issues, most of which were minor but a few were significant enough for me to reject the car.
Please see the pictures attached. The Vin was 23xxx and built June 28th. It was blue with a white interior and no other options.
I took delivery in Fremont at the factory and there were about 6 other model y for delivery. When I looked at the other cars, they also had some egregious build with some vins in the 33xxx range.

C9A60B0D-8345-44F2-8359-EBAC9CB4819A.jpeg
D5044226-CDB3-4857-82FA-4085C6C99F8F.jpeg
1C08C67F-DF87-412F-9BEB-EAEA4B175F07.jpeg
1353E25F-2BCC-4FBE-B055-C7EB6BFEF073.jpeg
6A93C817-454A-4339-8324-5C82168EDE51.jpeg
FD8AAC27-CD9A-4BB6-9FB8-1BB615DD45BA.jpeg
8BCD9C0A-E24B-4C95-99CF-26EB20B22667.jpeg
6AB737AB-2A1F-4E97-8435-EC3F3863D1C7.jpeg
3A9C2EFB-EE22-4D3C-B011-02E9870ADF7F.jpeg
A1F11615-82C9-4676-A054-E2EDAB88238C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
First let me say that this forum has been invaluable in preparing for my delivery by arming me with a checklist to evaluate my car.
Today was my delivery day and my wife and I were super excited to bring home our second tesla. We currently have a model 3 we picked up in 2018. We love the M3 and while we did have one paint issue on delivery, the rest of the car was flawless.
Today when we went to pick up our Y, we found so many issues, most of which were minor but a few were significant enough for me to reject the car.
Please see the pictures attached. The Vin was 23xxx and built June 28th. It was blue with a white interior and no other options.
I took delivery in Fremont at the factory and there were about 6 other model y for delivery. When I looked at the other cars, they also had some egregious build with some vins in the 33xxx range.
What was the dealbreaker?

I'm a bit surprised everyone is so accepting of the this level of build quality. Please don't tell me that this is what I should expect from Tesla or that this is the best they can do because clearly, they built my model 3 to a much higher standard than they did this car.
The last picture in the series of picture is the one I was most concerned about. You'll that there is a lighter shade of paint there which actually looks to be where they didn't equally apply the paint thus allowing you to see the e-coat. The fix on the would be a repaint of the panel and blending of the surrounding panels which is nearly a quarter of the car. So yeah, I'm not willing to accept this car when it has to be this extensively resprayed.

@shpatel

To be honest, 9/10 pics you posted are within spec. I did not see anything that would have prevented me from taking delivery.

I rejected the first Model Y delivery and was close to rejecting the second one. However, I decided to accept it because the technology and the experience outweighed the minor defects and panel gaps.

I recently brought my Model Y to the Fremont Delivery Hub where they will be doing the service repairs. Thankfully, it will be ready within a few days.

You can see my service issues here:

Model Y Performance Service Photos 6/27/20

Hard to tell from the last pic, since it just looks like scuff marks like what I had(came off with a little polishing). But if it looked bad enough in person, I don't blame you for rejecting it. Perhaps this was Elons plan all along? Build some horribly off spec MY's so that the rest of them look "acceptable" to us laypeople? lol

@shpatel

To be honest, 9/10 pics you posted are within spec. I did not see anything that would have prevented me from taking delivery.

I rejected the first Model Y delivery and was close to rejecting the second one. However, I decided to accept it because the technology and the experience outweighed the minor defects and panel gaps.

I recently brought my Model Y to the Fremont Delivery Hub where they will be doing the service repairs. Thankfully, it will be ready within a few days.

You can see my service issues here:

Model Y Performance Service Photos 6/27/20

Thank you for sharing these pictures. A lot of the issues you have seem to be the same on my vehicle as well. I'm leary of accepting this and then having the service center say this is all within spec. Please keep us posted on how your service turns out.

Reactions: Reeler and IronQQQ
Tesla is going to have to make a running line change and start installing a windshield trim piece that covers the glass edges better. Having those gaps around the windshield, and Tesla folks saying they all look like that (within spec), tells me they need to redesign the part.

And yes, you can see in the OP's last picture the splotches of the paint. You can't touch that up. Tesla paint on the MYs has been poorly sprayed to say the least. I saw an acquaintance's white MY he took delivery of 3 weeks ago, and I didn't have the heart to point out the splotchy paint on his doors. Shading looked decent enough, but there were several splotches I could see through the paint on each door. Bad stuff for a new car paint job.