Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another rejected model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a shareholder defects have to concern you because they cause a lot of money to address.
Add to that the credits Tesla sells to other automakers will decline as they produce their own EVs, and those credits bring in a lot of cash.
Quality isn’t a mystery, it just means paying attention to what you are doing. This isn’t a problem Tesla should have at this point.

For Tesla standards, it's not terrible... But guys, none of this is acceptable.. It's a BRAND NEW 60k+ Car! No one should just be ok with these flaws from Tesla or any other car company. If these issues are ignored then they will never be forced to improve and continue to have little, or none existent quality control.
These issues appear on all brands of cars regardless of price.

you should probably just buy a car that has been manufactured for 20 years with a few small tweaks.

instead of a car that has never been made before.

nobody is forcing you to be an early adopter.

you must be that kid whose parents got them a cake but you refused to eat it because somebody else took a bite first.
As a Tesla owner I am amazed how it’s the non owners that have the most complaints. Why are you here? Don’t buy a Tesla. Why complain on this board? Tesla is not a LUXURY brand! They are a premium EV Just buy an Etron or something else. You’d be much happier.

That's on you for accepting inferior quality.
All ICE owners have been accepting inferior quality polluting high maintenance vehicles for the past century. Can’t believe you non Tesla owners are so focused on trivial gaps and accept the ancient technology from ICE OEMs without question. Please wake up!! It’s about the technology not cosmetic issues!

All ICE owners have been accepting inferior quality polluting high maintenance vehicles for the past century. Can’t believe you non Tesla owners are so focused on trivial gaps and accept the ancient technology from ICE OEMs without question. Please wake up!! It’s about the technology not cosmetic issues!
Wait. What? So one who wants a car better built isn't a real Tesla owner. K. Got it. ;)

If no one speaks up about QC, Nothing will improve.

As a Tesla owner I am amazed how it’s the non owners that have the most complaints. Why are you here? Don’t buy a Tesla. Why complain on this board? Tesla is not a LUXURY brand! They are a premium EV Just buy an Etron or something else. You’d be much happier.

many on this forum are expectant Tesla MY owners. I wouldn't waste my time with a Tesla forum if I didn't plan on buying one. I put my order in late February and have already put off delivery because of the less than stellar paint quality and build that is very evident in the MY.

Luxury? I have always chuckled at the M3 owners who would call their car a luxury car. It's not. It's a "premium" EV. But why does that matter? I don't expect any better fit and finish from a luxury or a premium car compared to a run-of-the-mill entry level car. Have you looked at the paint and fit and finish of any car under 20k dollars from a legacy car maker? Each and every one will put the MY to shame.

You accepting poor quality, well that's on you. We all have our levels of expectation, and Tesla isn't meeting many expectations with regards to QC for a lot of buyers, or for professional reviewers (I'm sure you follow car magazine reviews too).

My guess is a lot of the Tesla fanboys are not nor never were "gear heads." Guys/gals who grew up wrenching on cars and appreciating cars for the machinery and taking pride in customizing their cars and keeping the clean and polished expect more from their vehicles than those who look at a car as an appliance to get them from point A to B.

And if you're really following all the threads, there are many Tesla M3/S/X owners who openly admit that the MY is not meeting their expectations either.

I guess a lot of Tesla buyers have high tolerance for poor build quality.
I couldn’t deal with panel gaps and other issues with M3 and traded that in for an S after 11 months. TEHO
If the definition of super high quality for you, is all about amazingly fitting panels and quality paint - go and buy a BMW ICE eye candy, or a highly priced 150 mile EV for the same price as Model 3, with no ability to do road travel.

A car is not all about the cosmetics. To me a car is more about what goes inside the hood. I paid $55k for my Model 3, for these capabilities that it offers IN THIS ORDER:

- an amazing industry leading 320 mile range
- unbelievable, mind blowing Autopilot that is extending my life by reducing stress. This is not an hyperbole but a FACT on how useful it is to me.
- super easy dashboard screen with some high tech entertainment choices.
- long distance driving made easy with plenty of superchargers at various locations.
- A car that keeps getting better with updates
- nicely fitting panels, and paint that is pleasing to eyes.

Sure they are not doing the best they can on the the last thing that I care, but I am not losing sleep. Because my priorities are different. Because I am paying for the other stuff that none of the "perfect panel fitters" - you know the ones you are comparing against like BNW, Mercedes, Lexus, etc.. - have any clue about.

And guess what. After 32K miles and 2 1/2 years, it still has 315 miles of range and drives like new and never have to go to the "dealer" for any problems. The 2 year 25k mile 'optional' service was also done free.

Last edited:
On the contrary. Long time owners in my experience have the most complaints.

Reactions: BlindPass
These issues appear on all brands of cars regardless of price.
That is absolutely not true! We have owned four Lexus vehicles and the build quality and QA was excellent, fit and finish essentially flawless. My eldest daughter purchased a Buick SUV a couple of years ago and the fit and finish were also superb. OK, Tesla may not be able yet to match the fit and finish of a Lexus, but a mid-range GM product like Buick?! Give me a break!

Reactions: Reeler
If the definition of super high quality for you, is all about amazingly fitting panels and quality paint - go and buy a BMW ICE eye candy, or a highly priced 150 mile EV for the same price as Model 3, with no ability to do road travel.

A car is not all about the cosmetics. To me a car is more about what goes inside the hood. I paid $55k for my Model 3, for these capabilities that it offers IN THIS ORDER:

- an amazing industry leading 320 mile range
- unbelievable, mind blowing Autopilot that is extending my life by reducing stress. This is not an hyperbole but a FACT on how useful it is to me.
- super easy dashboard screen with some high tech entertainment choices.
- long distance driving made easy with plenty of superchargers at various locations.
- A car that keeps getting better with updates
- nicely fitting panels, and paint that is pleasing to eyes.

Sure they are not doing the best they can on the the last thing that I care, but I am not losing sleep. Because my priorities are different. Because I am paying for the other stuff that none of the "perfect panel fitters" - you know the ones you are comparing against like BNW, Mercedes, Lexus, etc.. - have any clue about.

And guess what. After 32K miles and 2 1/2 years, it still has 315 miles of range and drives like new and never have to go to the "dealer" for any problems. The 2 year 25k mile 'optional' service was also done free.
You have low expectations and I don’t. That’s why I traded in my M3 taking a $15K hit, for a Model S.
Good for you. As I said before, to each his own.

Reactions: ElectricIAC

Wow... my 2017 Bolt with 46K miles on it is in better shape than that "new" MY...

20200718-095417.jpg

I recently test drove a Model Y. I noticed some of these panel gap issues on that vehicle as well. Tesla isn't even sending perfect vehicles to the showroom - why would you expect one delivered to you? I think it's silly that so many people are defending Tesla with "look at the range", "it's not an ICE car", "what about feature x", as if those things obviate the need for proper quality control. I really really want to buy a model Y, and live just a few miles from multiple service centers, but I honestly don't want to deal with the headache of fixing their QC issues in post-production. I really hope they can get their act together on this stuff, because I really f***** loved driving it.

This thread's participants is a good reminder why I am not that active anymore on this forum. Too many fanbois mucking up the threads. When shopping for a model S or X, I do not remember seeing anything like what is in this picture. I mean no 1 car and I saw many, both on lots, showrooms, service center, loaners, etc. Sure there were minor things. These are NOT minors issues. This is an example of "you get what you paid for." Elon cut wages during the covid thing and his factory workers is saying you cut my wages, I just cut the quality. Seems fair to me.

When you pay 60K+ out the door for a car in this day and age, you expect it to be almost perfect. If this car was $30K or less, then I am more inclined to agree with the fanbois and overlook the major issues.