Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another rejected model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are plenty of people who’ve received “perfect” MY’s, myself included. A few minor issues? Sure, but close enough for me. And a new thread would just continue to beat a dead horse with the usual players chiming in. I see a lot more of this here than Reddit where most people are very excited about getting their vehicles- much more jaded bunch here.. ;)
What's funny is the "disagrees" by the well-known malcontents.

Reactions: imola.zhp
What's funny is the "disagrees" by the well-known malcontents.
Just not sure what they're disagreeing with - that plenty of people get MY's they're perfectly happy with? Certainly that can't be it. Or that other's would continue to pummel the quality (fact) and point out perceived panel gaps when other post pic's of their "perfect" cars (almost guarantee it). No one would ever ask for less quality but we can agree everyone has a comfort level they can live with when accepting a car, or anything for that matter. Continuing to hammer away at that point just gets tiresome. Enough outrage on the internet already....

Reactions: rxlawdude
Wow... my 2017 Bolt with 46K miles on it is in better shape than that "new" MY...

20200718-095417.jpg
OK, I'm obviously a snob, but if the badges on the Bolt said "Buick" or "Cadillac" not "Chevy" I'd purchase one. It's a great little car but IMHO GM made a mistake by offering it through their entry-level division when it's not a cheap vehicle. BTW, that color red with the aluminum accented wheels looks great and you have the advantage of a dealer service network all over the US. I've always wondered why the Corvette is a Chevy when it's a world-class sports car. Branding does make a difference when it comes to marketing ... at least to we irrational snobs.

I was returning my lease Land Rover Discovery. While waiting for my turn, now that I learned I should check for fitment and panel gap issues, I started to examine the cars on the show room. Keep in mind this is not the lot but the show room. Range Rover with a price tag of $130k, had a very uneven door gap like 4 mm on the top and 7mm on the bottom. The bottom plastic part was not aligned with body by a wide margin. The gap alignment on the trunk and the body was off. Two other cars, Velar and Discovery had similar issues. Funny thing the only one that I couldn't find any panel gap issue was I-Pace :)

So good luck to all of us buying our next car from other manufacturers. I can imagine the dealer's face when we point out the panel gaps ;).

Wait. What? So one who wants a car better built isn't a real Tesla owner. K. Got it. ;)

If no one speaks up about QC, Nothing will improve.
Wait. What? So one who wants a car better built isn't a real Tesla owner. K. Got it. ;)

If no one speaks up about QC, Nothing will improve.
Suggest you compare Tesla quality today to that of several years ago. It’s much improved even before your comments. If you are not an long term owner then you do not have a good perspective. A few in
I guess a lot of Tesla buyers have high tolerance for poor build quality.
I couldn’t deal with panel gaps and other issues with M3 and traded that in for an S after 11 months. TEHO
No. Most Tesla owners understand Tesla is a new company and is having minor issues a with fit and finish that are blown out of proportion by haters and the media click bait and uniformed commenters. Tesla has the highest satisfaction score with Consumer Reports of any manufacturer. Also check the Bloomberg survey for owner comments on the Model 3.

I was returning my lease Land Rover Discovery. While waiting for my turn, now that I learned I should check for fitment and panel gap issues, I started to examine the cars on the show room. Keep in mind this is not the lot but the show room. Range Rover with a price tag of $130k, had a very uneven door gap like 4 mm on the top and 7mm on the bottom. The bottom plastic part was not aligned with body by a wide margin. The gap alignment on the trunk and the body was off. Two other cars, Velar and Discovery had similar issues. Funny thing the only one that I couldn't find any panel gap issue was I-Pace :)

So good luck to all of us buying our next car from other manufacturers. I can imagine the dealer's face when we point out the panel gaps ;).
Well spoken Dcd7041!! The iPace “unpopularity” proves that panel gaps don’t matter!!

OK, I'm obviously a snob, but if the badges on the Bolt said "Buick" or "Cadillac" not "Chevy" I'd purchase one. It's a great little car but IMHO GM made a mistake by offering it through their entry-level division when it's not a cheap vehicle. BTW, that color red with the aluminum accented wheels looks great and you have the advantage of a dealer service network all over the US. I've always wondered why the Corvette is a Chevy when it's a world-class sports car. Branding does make a difference when it comes to marketing ... at least to we irrational snobs.
Most people in the know don’t give a crap wether something is Cadillac, Buick or Chevy. All have made some good cars and bad cars. Cadillac and Buick are basically a higher priced Chevy.

Yep. VIN 0180xx built late June.
Yep. VIN 0180xx built late June.
rxlawdude look at it like this, Tesla has sold over 1 million cars
With Fremont building and delivering over 5,000 cars each week, it makes sense that we will see mora and more of these posts from the worst of them coming off the line. Does not mean that they are all bad, but just a few apples....
Yep and few bad apples and a lot of nit pickers that would have never have thought to complain about their previous car purchases.

Suggest you compare Tesla quality today to that of several years ago. It’s much improved even before your comments. If you are not an long term owner then you do not have a good perspective. A few in

No. Most Tesla owners understand Tesla is a new company and is having minor issues a with fit and finish that are blown out of proportion by haters and the media click bait and uniformed commenters. Tesla has the highest satisfaction score with Consumer Reports of any manufacturer. Also check the Bloomberg survey for owner comments on the Model 3.
Most people posting here are owners, so I don’t understand haters comment.

you blame media and yet cite consumer reports and Bloomberg, lol. Curiously, you didn’t mention JD Power

I purchased 9 brand new cars in my lifetime, 9th being Model Y. For the last 3 of them prior to Model Y, the price tag was between $80K and $100K. Never and ever I would have thought about checking for panel gaps in any of my prior 8 car purchases. And I don't accept the argument that "no one needs to check for panel gaps in Non-Tesla's because they are high quality", proven with my earlier experience at Land Rover dealer. God knows what I would have find, if I looked carefully in my prior car purchases.

I purchased 9 brand new cars in my lifetime, 9th being Model Y. For the last 3 of them prior to Model Y, the price tag was between $80K and $100K. Never and ever I would have thought about checking for panel gaps in any of my prior 8 car purchases. And I don't accept the argument that "no one needs to check for panel gaps in Non-Tesla's because they are high quality", proven with my earlier experience at Land Rover dealer. God knows what I would have find, if I looked carefully in my prior car purchases.
I have bought 15 cars in last 20 years in the US, 7 of them BMWs and others Honda’s and Toyota’s and 2 Teslas. Tesla cars are by far worst in build quality. Heck, I’m an immigrant and Indian cars had better build quality than a Tesla. Although, my 2020 model S LR+ seems to be fine for most part. 2019 Model 3 that I traded in was not that good

I have bought 15 cars in last 20 years in the US, 7 of them BMWs and others Honda’s and Toyota’s and 2 Teslas. Tesla cars are by far worst in build quality. Heck, I’m an immigrant and Indian cars had better build quality than a Tesla. Although, my 2020 model S LR+ seems to be fine for most part. 2019 Model 3 that I traded in was not that good
Yet your next trade in most likely will be another Tesla, right?

LOL are you for real? Chevy isn’t “entry level” it spans all price points like any full range auto brand does. Most of their lineup is more expensive than the Bolt. If the Chevy name is good enough for $70k Suburbans and $130k Corvette ZR1s, it’s good enough for a $30k compact electric hatchback.

This is my experience. The negligence of QA/QC isn’t limited to panel gaps. Poor QA/QC in combination with limited and indifferent customer service is a bad combination.

It’s definitely worsened as Tesla has shifted from quality to quantity. Good for their current balance sheets, bad for the consumer. I do appreciate some of these local shops that are still trying to uphold what Tesla used to be.

We rejected 25,225 on Saturday. Blue on black LRAWD, no options.

The dent in the passenger quarter panel near the hatch, no less than 5 fish-eye's on the furnk and an obvious touch-up spot on the drivers fender were the nails in the coffin for that car. Not to mention the cracked inner passenger side tail lamp, the passenger front fender poking out on the leading edge near the headlamp and the front bumper, the rear edge of the front passenger door too high, the front drivers door too high on both front and back edges (no body lines matched up). The drivers side headlamp laying over the front bumper, whereas the passenger side headlight had smooth transition from bumper to headlamp. A significant scratch below the window on the drivers side quarter panel, scratched up plastic on the passenger rear entry area, loose passenger rear door panel at the bottom, coat hanger mechanisms are a joke even if they did work properly (they didn't) and finally there was a scratch on the airbag.

#NEXT

It didnt' help that a 31,XXX car with the same configuration was sitting a few spots down and while it still shared some of these issues, it shared much less of them. I probably would have accepted that car, but it wasn't mine to accept.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brown1428
We rejected 25,225 on Saturday. Blue on black LRAWD, no options.

The dent in the passenger quarter panel near the hatch, no less than 5 fish-eye's on the furnk and an obvious touch-up spot on the drivers fender were the nails in the coffin for that car. Not to mention the cracked inner passenger side tail lamp, the passenger front fender poking out on the leading edge near the headlamp and the front bumper, the rear edge of the front passenger door too high, the front drivers door too high on both front and back edges (no body lines matched up). The drivers side headlamp laying over the front bumper, whereas the passenger side headlight had smooth transition from bumper to headlamp. A significant scratch below the window on the drivers side quarter panel, scratched up plastic on the passenger rear entry area, loose passenger rear door panel at the bottom, coat hanger mechanisms are a joke even if they did work properly (they didn't) and finally there was a scratch on the airbag.

#NEXT

It didnt' help that a 31,XXX car with the same configuration was sitting a few spots down and while it still shared some of these issues, it shared much less of them. I probably would have accepted that car, but it wasn't mine to accept.
Sorry to hear that, but thank you for doing your part to improve Tesla. Hopefully your next one will be better.

Sorry to hear that, but thank you for doing your part to improve Tesla. Hopefully your next one will be better.

Not really sure that I did though, my sales person was off that day so the manager was helping me. She was very nice but essentially said my standards were too high for Tesla and that she could not guarantee that the next car would be any better. The sky clouded up (and started to sprinkle) so it was hard to find the fish eyes for her, when she finally saw the second one she said now that I had pointed out two that they could offer to repaint the frunk. I had a microfiber and kept wiping the moisture off of the quarter panel but she said she couldn't see the dent. I didn't really give her the rest of the list, her attitude about the condition of the car and my expectations were a big turn-off.