Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another SunPass question??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve seen the posts already but not really touch it on much. What are you all doing with your SunPass/ eToll , or whatever you have. I honestly don’t want to stick it on my windshield only because we only use SunPass 1-2 times a year.

Assuming I’ll be using it more now that we have a Tesla so is everyone just holding it up while they pass through the tolls?

Just trying to get some feedback here because I’ll be buying one on Saturday.

Mine is a sticker, I use clear gift wrap tape when I need it then remove it after the trip. I do the same for my car wash sticker. My windshield is tinted and I didn't want it permanently attached since I couldn't scrape it off with a razor blade without messing up the tint.

I have an Illinois Pass, which just sits in the glove box.

During a road trip back in 2011, I went from Illinois, to west coast, then east coast and back. While I was in NY, had to go through a tollway and was about to pay… but the guy there said it was already paid. Ever see comics where a person suddenly has a bunch of ?’s around their head? That was me at that moment. Initially I thought the guy in the car in front paid for some reason. But the guy in the booth said it was a pass device that had to be in my car.

So I learnt two things right there… Illinois and NY use the same system (specifically, I can use ipass anywhere where EZPass is used) and the ipass works from the glove box. Ever since then, I left it in the upper glove box.

When I got the HR-V, I got a second ipass tested to see if it would still work in the (only) normal glovebox and it did.

Checked again when I got the MYP (the same ipass from the traded HR-V)… still works, though I don’t go through tollways all that often. But had to go through tollways to get to airport when family visited.

On the complete flip side, my sister and brother-in-law found out that they can’t have the ipass anywhere inside of their BMW, it just won’t work even on the windshield, so they had to get one that mounts onto the license plate.

Last edited:
I have an EZ Pass and leave it up on my windshield in a suction cup holder (this one from Amazon) year-round even though I only go through tolls once a month or less. It's out of the way for me on the right side of the rear-view mirror and I never notice it in daily driving. The suction cup holder is great. I hate the adhesive strips with velcro that came with the EZ pass that stay on the windshield all of the time and like that I can take it down and switch it to another car easily with the suction cups.

I have an EZ Pass and leave it up on my windshield in a suction cup holder (this one from Amazon) year-round even though I only go through tolls once a month or less. It's out of the way for me on the right side of the rear-view mirror and I never notice it in daily driving. The suction cup holder is great. I hate the adhesive strips with velcro that came with the EZ pass that stay on the windshield all of the time and like that I can take it down and switch it to another car easily with the suction cups.
I use a suction cup as well so I can switch it between cars. This has also proven useful to allow me to switch between EZ Pass and Peach Pass.

Reactions: Mrdrbot23