Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another tragic fatality with a semi in Florida. This time a Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some sort of side guard is needed. I owned and drove a truck for 30 years, and DOT requires that rear Iron "bumper" you see on all trucks to prevent a car submarining under the rear.

Barring a medical condition, Just judging from the distance the car traveled after the collision he was at highway speed. At 50 years old the gentleman had survived on Earth long enough to know better than to completely divert his attention for any length of time at that velocity. That truck didn't just jump out in front of him.
Our society is forced to judge a products liability in the hands of incompetence. Sorry, but in my view this is the modern version of natural selection at work.

It will be interesting to see the investigation results.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Yes, I saw that thread and read some (but not all) of it. I thought it was things like lane curvatures and speed limits. Are you saying the map data also includes the locations of 3D structures like bridges, overpasses and those large signs over highways that could potentially cause false positives on the radar?
it marks regions where braking for stationary objects is disabled

Some sort of side guard is needed. I owned and drove a truck for 30 years, and DOT requires that rear Iron "bumper" you see on all trucks to prevent a car submarining under the rear.

Barring a medical condition, Just judging from the distance the car traveled after the collision he was at highway speed. At 50 years old the gentleman had survived on Earth long enough to know better than to completely divert his attention for any length of time at that velocity. That truck didn't just jump out in front of him.
Our society is forced to judge a products liability in the hands of incompetence. Sorry, but in my view this is the modern version of natural selection at work.

It will be interesting to see the investigation results.
In Europe, all trucks are required to have side guards.
In the US, you just have to take your chances.

Exactly! That truck looks like a bridge to the radar. I don’t think Tesla implemented the ability to detect a stopped vehicle using the cameras until VERY recently. Remember the case where you approach a stop light with a vehicle already stopped at the line. The radar never sees it moving and the Tesla would just plow into it. You need the camera as the primary sensor in the tractor trailer crossing the road scenario. I doubt this poor person’s car had it.

Tesla’s will still plow into cars stopped at a stop light today in some instances while on autopilot. Especially if there is any sort of bend in the road while approaching the light.

Yep, can confirm.
Not sure how Tesla will fix this - maybe the FSD computer can respond more quickly

I don't think response time is the total fix. Look at those scenarios while you drive... did you see the stopped car? ...If you did, then the car can see it also. It then become a path analysis problem to fix. The system has to do a longer path analysis and start to react based on the video before it gets a radar contract. They will figure it out, it just takes more robust analysis to do it right.

Aside from the technical issues involved, when examining this photo, it makes me wonder (barring any other option) whether or not the driver (with enough notice) could have ducked to the side to save his life. Sitting in my Model 3 performance car, I tried leaning right to see if I could get low enough below the strike line. I suspect that this would be somewhat challenging and that there are other factors at play here, including falling debris (including compressed glass, and metal) as well as trailer components that may have hung lower than what we can see.

im-75032.jpeg

Aside from the technical issues involved, when examining this photo, it makes me wonder (barring any other option) whether or not the driver (with enough notice) could have ducked to the side to save his life.

My guess is "yes", but by the same logic, the driver could have taken car off AP, and initiated braking and emergency-maneuver around the trailer to avoid the collision in the first place.

10-1 his eyes and attention were elsewhere.
:eek:

I keep reminding myself to pay attention to the road while on AP, but that's easier said than done, and I am not as vigilant as when I'm in full control of the steering wheel.
I over-trust the Tesla's AP, and this is a yet another reminder that that trust is a bit misplaced.

*sad situation all around*

a

I don't think response time is the total fix. Look at those scenarios while you drive... did you see the stopped car? ...If you did, then the car can see it also.
This is definitely not true. The human eye/brain system is far superior at perception and understanding to any of today's computer vision systems. Some people say AI just needs a few billion more neurons, others think there are still some fundamental reasoning skills missing that we haven't understood yet.

Reactions: OPRCE
Aside from the technical issues involved, when examining this photo, it makes me wonder (barring any other option) whether or not the driver (with enough notice) could have ducked to the side to save his life. Sitting in my Model 3 performance car, I tried leaning right to see if I could get low enough below the strike line. I suspect that this would be somewhat challenging and that there are other factors at play here, including falling debris (including compressed glass, and metal) as well as trailer components that may have hung lower than what we can see.

View attachment 408659
I was mainly thinking it would make a really cute convertible.

• Funny
Reactions: mspohr
Status
Not open for further replies.