Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anti-Tesla Gibberish

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And you know why? Tesla is a hot topic now and any article draws attention.

look at the bottom of the article. that is what these articles are all about.
Author payment: $0.01 per page view

It is definitely all about the page hits.

I read a couple opinion columns on Seeking Alpha last year before realizing that the site was basically a content farm with a lot of poor quality content.

I ignore the site now. I don't want to support their kind of sensationalism.

The funny thing about that article is many of the points they made, well, just the opposite is true. For example they claim BMW has an advantage over Tesla with the body. What? It's just a regular steel body and frame! I was talking to a few people at TESLIVE who were speculating what a dog that car will be. It has the worst of electric and gas combined. Poor electric range. And gas motor only adds about 100 more miles of range!

I can easily see GM building a larger body on their Volt powertrain and having something that beats the pants off this BMW. But the Tesla? It's no competition. I mean, come one.. What are the BMW dealers going to say? "It has half the range of a Tesla and can't go as far as the Volt can on a tank of gas IF you ordered the option 'range extender'".

I can't believe that someone could be that naive. Then I read this in the author bio section:

I am the Founder and President of the Center for Industrial Progress and head of the I Love Fossil Fuels Campaign. Author of Fossil Fuels Improve the Planet, I have defended fossil fuel energy in debates against Greenpeace, 350.org, and the Sierra Club.

I then realised the vested interest. An industry that is not sustainable is, by definition unsustainable, you would think. I'm not even including the environmental impact of the industry in saying that. It's not like you can recycle coal. Once you burn it, it's gone forever. I would have thought that we should be looking at ways of conserving our reserves of fossil fuels to be used for purposes other than simply burning them.

This is clearly anti-Tesla, but it's not really gibberish.

seekingalpha.com/article/1648342-5-reasons-why-im-short-tesla

I think the author is using sound logic overall, but he's just a little misinformed on a few things in this particular case.

#1 The Company's Promotional Approach & Investor Sentiment

To me, Elon "takes time out to tweet taunts at short sellers" because he is a badass, not because he's trying to pump up the stock. However, I think he's right to be skeptical when a company is trying to avoid generally accepted accounting principles. In the end, you have to look deeper and make your own judgement as to whether you understand and accept Tesla's reasoning behind that.

#2 Lease Liabilities

I'm sure most of us here believe strongly that Model S will hold its value as well or better than any other car (due in large part to the lack of mechanical complexity in the powertrain, relative to ICE cars). From an outside perspective though, I can see how it looks pompous to make that prediction.

#3 The Early Adopter / Rapid Scaling Paradigm

Tesla's projections and goals are indeed lofty, but reading this part makes me wonder if the author has a) driven/ridden in a Model S or b) seen the factory videos and the level of automation being used. To me, the driving experience proves demand will continue to exceed supply until Gen III, and the automation they've achieved and rapid scaling they've done already proves that they can ramp up further.

#4 Competition

Many of us have seen "teething" issues with Tesla, but just because Tesla is a new company does not mean it is not stocked with experienced people. BMW's ICE loaner program is a nifty idea, but it's also essentially admitting that they're selling an inferior product. Tesla's combination of range and Supercharging has the potential to virtually eliminate range anxiety. No other car manufacturer has announced any plan that competes on that goal, and the longer they wait, the more difficult it will be to catch up. Normally I might expect extremely large companies like the "Big 3" to be able to overcome deficits like that, but these are lean/difficult times for auto manufacturers in general, which reduces the margin for error.

#5 Potential Dilution

Another good point in a general sense, but I think a large portion of those outstanding options come from a recent convertible debt offering, which Tesla specifically hedged against. Honestly, I don't fully understand how that works, but I trust that it will minimize the dilution effect.

Last edited:
MF: Is Tesla's Model S Bad for the Environment?
Is Tesla's Model S Bad for the Environment? (TSLA)

Here are my responses:
One thing I don't think was calculated here, how much pollution is created to drill, extract, shipe and refine gasoline? I am pretty sure it will negate any advantages you cited.

Yea, another thing that needs to be taken into account. With the Tesla Roadster, even at 100k miles, it still has about 90% of it's original range left. There isn't much battery degradation at all. To suggest that you need to throw away the battery is laughable. Why would you do that? Even if you did want to swap it out with a new battery, the old battery could certainly be reused as local energy storage. The idea of discarding the battery is asinine.

So the CFO at the school I work for is very Republican and still doesn't believe in EVs and Tesla. The Head of our school is a big fan of EVs and I've been feeding him info. on the company and he loves it. The CFO just told him that a guy he listens to on Saturday mornings said that Tesla hasn't actually paid back the loan. Has anybody else heard of this? I thought it was a done deal? There have been tons of articles, even from Fox News, and it's on the company website. I think it's just more anti bull****. Thoughts?

Last edited:
From Bloomberg last May:

Tesla Motor associates work on the Model S electric car at the company's factory in Fremont, Calif.
Photograph by David Paul Morris/Bloomberg

Tesla Motor associates work on the Model S electric car at the company's factory in Fremont, Calif.

Elon Musk’s “Summer of Revenge Tour” continues. His electric-car company, Tesla Motors, just cut the government a $451.8 million check, which means that Tesla has paid off its entire Department of Energy loan plus interest. “Following this payment, Tesla (TSLA) will be the only American car company to have fully repaid the government,” the company boasted (emphasis Tesla’s).

Of all his recent moves, this one must be especially sweet for Musk. Critics have long taken swipes at Tesla and its all-electric hippieness for relying on a federal handout. The most public of such barbs arrived from Mitt Romney during the presidential debates, when he described Tesla as a “loser” alongside Solyndra and Fisker Automotive. Even back then, it seemed a bit silly to lump Tesla—a company employing thousands of people at an American car factory—in with that group of green lollygaggers. And now that Tesla has paid its way off the government dole, Romney may have sealed his fate as that rare capitalist-cum-politician rooting against a successful American car company. (Although Sarah Palin has recently threatened to keep him company.)

The loan repayment follows a number of recent announcements from Musk, including Tesla’s first-ever profit, a higher-than-expected sales forecast, a $1 billion fund raising round, and its Model S sedan earning the highest auto test ratings ever from Consumer Reports. The company’s share price has soared over the past year, from $25.52 to an $87.24 close on Wednesday. The massive runup in Tesla’s shares is partly explained by an epic short squeeze, which is the other part of Musk’s Summer of Revenge.

VIDEO: Romney Lumps Tesla, Fisker as `Losers' in Debates

Tesla got a $465 million loan from the DOE in 2010 as part of an Advanced Technology Vehicle Manufacturing program. The company, which has made some previous payments, had nine more years to pay off the loan. Tesla’s rival Fisker, also a recipient of a DOE loan, recently hired advisers to help it weigh bankruptcy and restructuring options after laying off much of its staff.

“I would like to thank the Department of Energy and the members of Congress and their staffs that worked hard to create the ATVM program, and particularly the American taxpayer from whom these funds originate,” Musk said in a statement. “I hope we did you proud.”