Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anti-Tesla Gibberish

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've thought about creating a persona to reply to those anti-EV articles. This persona would be an extreme libertarian: unwilling to be tied to the supply lines that make refined petroleum, unwilling to let his dollars subsidize other countries, screaming hell about the blood and treasure we waste overseas because of the need to protect our friends who own the oil reserves. How it's unAmerican to drive anything that isn't power by American fuels like coal and natural gas. How it's unAmerican to drive cars made by foreign companies. etc. It'd be fun for a while, but I don't think I could keep my words short enough to sound credible.

Seems like that article is no longer there.

That's because in addition to the good folks here, myself and several others from the Volt facebook page emailed the author "mat" and cc'd the editor, very politely but with firm fact and calculation corrections (I counted at least 7 with regards to the Volt cost per mile alone!) He originally claimed 24 cents a mile; the correct number for a Volt is actually just 6 cents a mile (4 cents on electric ~2/3 of the time and 9 cents on gas ~1/3)

We don't know the exact reason, either the editor pulled it for concern of reputation and/or libel, or the author pulled it because his cost case fell apart.

In fact, with the new ~$27.5k Volt sale price, it is less than a Prius or any economy gas car to operate; less expensive to own over 5 years; and WAY less over 10 years, the opposite case "mat" was trying to make, and failed miserably!

That's the article I'd like to write: The gasoline car boondoggle. Throw in a comparable priced luxury sport sedan to cost compare to the Tesla and I'm sure the Tesla will also come out way ahead over 10 years.

It's too bad that the original article seems to have quickly propagated to a dozen or so other sites and boards; mostly "conservative" types where further EV bashing of course ensued :)

Last edited:
Such a pathetically jealous article. It's so unfair that Elon gets the money, the women, the glory. How come none of these losers mention the fact that Elon invests 100s of millions of dollars in his companies before they make him a single dime? They like to make it sound like he took zero risk and the government lined his pockets with wealth on some sort of vaporware scheme.

"Besides, car dealerships are important corporate citizens, pumping into the national economy hundreds of millions of sales-tax dollars, tens of millions of dollars in charitable contributions and billions of dollars in paychecks. That makes them valuable economically. It also gives them clout that few politicians want to challenge."

The above quote from the article reminds me of the "hydrogen is the most abundant matter in the atmosphere" BS. Do these people even have a brain? Do they think that the Tesla they ordered is magically going to appear on their doorstep? Of course not. Tesla will need the a similar workforce to accomplish selling cars. The job loss angle is pure stupidity.

"Besides, car dealerships are important corporate citizens, pumping into the national economy hundreds of millions of sales-tax dollars, tens of millions of dollars in charitable contributions and billions of dollars in paychecks. That makes them valuable economically. It also gives them clout that few politicians want to challenge."

The above quote from the article reminds me of the "hydrogen is the most abundant matter in the atmosphere" BS. Do these people even have a brain? Do they think that the Tesla they ordered is magically going to appear on their doorstep? Of course not. Tesla will need the a similar workforce to accomplish selling cars. The job loss angle is pure stupidity.

It's the "good jobs" canard. This is where efficiency measures make positions redundant and fewer "good jobs" are available, so the redundant workers end up in "bad jobs". This results in protectionism of remaining "good jobs" and ignores the fact that efficiency generates wealth and that the existence of "bad jobs" is the fundamental problem.

I don't entirely agree with your assessment.
  • Tesla sales force will be similar, but the service force will be smaller because there's less that goes wrong.
  • Instead of dealers skimming off their portion of the profit, those dollars now stay in consumers' wallets or are sent to Tesla Motors and its shareholders. This shift reduces the number of minorly wealthy families who own car dealerships scattered across the country. Therefore:
  • Charitable contributions will be less, and less of a local force. Auto dealers have sponsored little league teams, etc., giving back a small fraction of the wealth they've picked from the local's pockets to maintain their local credibility.
  • There will be unemployed lobbyists, unemployed auto dealer association officials, and fewer dollars stuffed into politician's war-chests. What a shame.
  • Long stretches of highways will be emptied of the blight of auto dealerships. "The Auto Mile on Route [ ]" will be a thing of the past.

But obviously sales taxes will not be reduced, and Tesla pays its staff at least as well as auto dealers do--on salary, instead of commission or piece-work, which allows employees to make investments in houses etc. rather than having binge spending when there's a good quarter.

The charitable contributions angle is funny too. Little League support means only franchised dealers are worthy? Fine, make a regulation saying that any manufacturer owned dealership must match the average of the dollar amount donated by the local dealerships. That entire article was of course not a serious one and shows they have sponsors to protect.