Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anti-Tesla Gibberish

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The charitable contributions angle is funny too. Little League support means only franchised dealers are worthy? Fine, make a regulation saying that any manufacturer owned dealership must match the average of the dollar amount donated by the local dealerships. That entire article was of course not a serious one and shows they have sponsors to protect.

Elon already said something like if supporting Little League is a requirement for selling cars in Texas, tell me how much it costs and where to send the check.

I think the charitable contribution angle is on the NADA talking points list as that was thrown about in the fight in NC as well. Sounds like a perfectly good reason to stomp out free enterprise - little Johnny won't get his t-shirt paid for.

To be fair, Tesla direct sales would reduce jobs - no more "manager" that the sales person goes to talk to while you count ceiling tiles deciding if you should just walk out of the dealership.

To be fair, Tesla direct sales would reduce jobs - no more "manager" that the sales person goes to talk to while you count ceiling tiles deciding if you should just walk out of the dealership.

Couldn't help but laugh reading this! :smile:
The manager at our local Toyota dealer believes EVs are the future and was all excited about the eRav4 while it was in development. He expected to sell hundreds of them! He's very disappointed with the direction that Toyota ultimately took. They never even allowed them to be sold outside of CA (with a few minor exceptions). While he might like to work for Tesla some day, I can't see any good opportunities for him. I doubt if Tesla pays salaries like his at any of their stores.

• Long stretches of highways will be emptied of the blight of auto dealerships. "The Auto Mile on Route [ ]" will be a thing of the past.
But in a direct sales world, why would the dealerships go away? The need for service and repair is still just as high (with ICE at least), and everyone claims that's where the real money is. Why wouldn't the dealerships WANT to dump the low/no profit selling part to 'net or manufacturer owned stores and the local dealers would do prep, delivery and warranty service just like they always do?

I've heard lots of stories about dealerships hating the way they are treated by the manufacturers. Such as being forced to re-model a showroom in a certain way, or never knowing in advance what their allocation for the next month is going to be. If they don't like it, and consumers don't like it, and the manufacturers don't like it...why does this sales model exist again?

That seems such a strange point to make, since Tesla sale generate sales tax too.
This may be a dig at "no tax on EVs" active in some states. But likely it's nowhere near that clever.

- - - Updated - - -

I've heard lots of stories about dealerships hating the way they are treated by the manufacturers. Such as being forced to re-model a showroom in a certain way, or never knowing in advance what their allocation for the next month is going to be. If they don't like it, and consumers don't like it, and the manufacturers don't like it...why does this sales model exist again?
People complain about a lot of things. When the response is "well let's just make your job obsolete" they start changing their story a bit.

Obnoxious anti-Tesla WSJ Op-Ed needs your (polite) comments, ASAP

Attention rich hobbyists, dilettantes and early adopters!

Homan Jenkins' column in today's WSJ is dripping with contempt for Tesla and Tesla owners. Please make comments polite, content rich, and meaningful.

The Op-Ed has gems like:

" ...a $7,500 rebate paid by federal taxpayers to every buyer of his cars, which are playthings for the rich."
This, from a newspaper that publishes a section each week called "Mansion," highlighting mansions and their furnishings.

"...or a hobbyist item like Tesla today peddles to dilettantes and early adopters."

More detail:

"This would suggest that Mr. Musk, if he wants to prevail, ought to get the other car makers on his side. He doesn't seem to have tried. His apparent goal isn't deregulating the auto retail business so much as merely browbeating a few states into carving out friendly exceptions for Tesla.

Mr. Musk makes himself an irresistible target when he gets on a high horse, as he's been doing a lot lately. His company benefits from a favor as democratically grotesque as the dealer-protection laws: a $7,500 rebate paid by federal taxpayers to every buyer of his cars, which are playthings for the rich. In California, where many Tesla cars are sold, buyers get an additional $2,500 in cash from state taxpayers. America, look at your driveway: How many of your cars are even worth $10,000?"

Here is the link: Holman Jenkins: Tesla Seeks Loophole, Not a Revolution - WSJ.com

Last edited:
Behind a pay-wall, of course.

It is amazing how some people react to EVs and to free markets. I am afraid there is no help for them. They will just become recognized as silly and irrelevant.

GSP

The more and more Tesla's momentum builds, the more and more the haters fall into deep psychosis in their attempts to denigrate the brand.

The next time there's an announcement like yesterday's regarding the titanium shield, Tesla might have to give mental health professionals advance notice.

Indeed! They are children having a temper tantrum.

My letter to [email protected] What are YOU waiting for let them have it!!!!!!!!

"Mr. Jenkins's sweeping indictment of Model S owners as "rich hobbyists & dilettantes" is both inaccurate and insulting. The vast majority of Model S owners (70%) have family incomes below the 1% "dilettante" level see:

Model S Buyers: What's Your Income?

Many owners, like myself, have never spent over 40K for a car until they bought a Model S. For me the federal and state rebates were a key factor in making the decision to buy the car. Instead of lobbing insults he should thank Elon Musk and owners like me for making the US less dependent on foreign oil, supporting thousands of jobs for a "made-in-the-US," world-class, zero carbon emissions product.

The one thing Jenkins did get right is that we are very proud "early adopters" who will flood your inbox to set the record straight!"

I couldn't access the article but, while he's quick to mention the ev credit (from the posted excerpt), I doubt he mentions the billions in subsidies to big oil. The ev credit is dwarfed in comparison to the credits given to big oil. Oh, I forgot, those running big oil are not nearly as rich as us Tesla owners nor have they recently been recording record profits while sucking off the public 'you know what'. Then again, big oil is good for our children's future so those subsidies make sense.