Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anxiously waiting an AWD review / videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone measure the range yet from non-P 3D? Is there perhaps another thread that talks about it? I like the idea of 3D being faster, but wondering how much range you're compromising compared to standard RWD.

Here’s how Tesla played with EPA ratings to advertise all Model 3 versions with 310-mile range
zx4CCbT.gif

Last edited:
Has it occurred to anyone in this thread that nearly all dual motor production so far have been P models and only a relativity small number of DM non P cars have even been delivered?

I’m thinking it is literally under 4 figures worth of delivered vehicles at this point.

Tesla changing pricing last week further reducing the cost to upgrade to P tells me that we won’t see the floodgates open on non-P production for quite a while. They are trying to convince those of us who don’t want to wait till the end of the year to upgrade our orders.

After almost 30 months of waiting I am becoming fatigued.

I just extended the lease on my BMW by another month because it appears highly unlikely that Tesla will deliver to me on the front end of my “September to November” delivery estimate.

Has anyone measure the range yet from non-P 3D? Is there perhaps another thread that talks about it? I like the idea of 3D being faster, but wondering how much range you're compromising compared to standard RWD.
I'm one of the few people with a non-P AWD delivered. My real world range is really hard to measure because I'm just flooring the car most chances I get. I haven't really done any lengthy trips, just like 20 miles or so. I'm currently getting 286 Wh/mile over the last 250 miles since taking delivery of the car last Weds. I'm definitely not going easy on her... :p So real world range that is ~275 miles per charge. I have a couple hundred mile trip planned for late this month and I'm interested to see how good the range is for that.

I'm one of the few people with a non-P AWD delivered. My real world range is really hard to measure because I'm just flooring the car most chances I get. I haven't really done any lengthy trips, just like 20 miles or so. I'm currently getting 286 Wh/mile over the last 250 miles since taking delivery of the car last Weds. I'm definitely not going easy on her... :p So real world range that is ~275 miles per charge. I have a couple hundred mile trip planned for late this month and I'm interested to see how good the range is for that.
Congrats! That's awesome. Were you able to test drive the RWD before getting your AWD, and if so, can you tell any noticeable difference between 0-20 acceleration and overall feel/handling?

Has it occurred to anyone in this thread that nearly all dual motor production so far have been P models and only a relativity small number of DM non P cars have even been delivered?

I’m thinking it is literally under 4 figures worth of delivered vehicles at this point.

Tesla changing pricing last week further reducing the cost to upgrade to P tells me that we won’t see the floodgates open on non-P production for quite a while. They are trying to convince those of us who don’t want to wait till the end of the year to upgrade our orders.

After almost 30 months of waiting I am becoming fatigued.

I just extended the lease on my BMW by another month because it appears highly unlikely that Tesla will deliver to me on the front end of my “September to November” delivery estimate.

I'm sure you've explained this before but why not upgrade to P? For what it's worth I'm waiting on my Base P3D, existing owner and day 1 reservation holder. I honestly think Tesla is prioritizing based on maximizing deliveries now and line position doesn't matter as much as how quickly they can deliver your car and deposit the money in their account. This doesn't bother me since I want them to succeed and I know they were running things on the razor edge in Q2.

I'm sure you've explained this before but why not upgrade to P? For what it's worth I'm waiting on my Base P3D, existing owner and day 1 reservation holder. I honestly think Tesla is prioritizing based on maximizing deliveries now and line position doesn't matter as much as how quickly they can deliver your car and deposit the money in their account. This doesn't bother me since I want them to succeed and I know they were running things on the razor edge in Q2.

I'm not upgrading to a P because I don't need/want the performance (DM appears to be as fast or slightly faster than my 340i which is already crazy fast) and I like keeping my money invested.

I set a budget for the "new cheap Tesla" when I put my $1,000 down of about $50,000. That was assumed based on Musk estimating he thought the average car, with options, would run around $45,000.

At $60,000 for my current build (Blue, DM, EAP) I am already way over budget and not willing to pony up another $10,000 to get my car a couple of months sooner.

If the end of the year gets into sight and I don't have a VIN, I will be cancelling my order since I won't be getting the tax credit. As much as I love the Tesla product, I am not going to wait forever. I will just lease another BMW for 3 more years and maybe by the time that lease is up Tesla will have this stuff figured out.

When the "flood gates" opened over a month ago and I was able to finally place my non-refundable deposit, I became excited I would have the car "soon". I did not expect it to turn into another extended wait like this.

Can you tell I'm frustrated?

Thanks for sharing that. What are you using for total KWH and are you assuming 100% charge to determine the 275mi range per charge? 275mi x 286Wh/mi is 78.65KWh. I hope Tesla eventually provides a way to trade off performance and range. Actually, isn't there a setting to turnoff the front motor if you're on the freeway for example?

Probably superfluous, but the $7,500 tax credit goes to end of 2018, then cuts in half ($3,750) for Jan-June 2019, then in half again ($1,875) for July-Dec 2019. But I know what you meant. ;)

Yes, that's worth pointing out.

I would be quitting out of frustration at that point. We are fortunate to have four cars in the family, so even if I turn my lease in early October as planned I would have a car to drive... however I like driving a "nice" car and I'm going to get tired of driving an 8 year old Honda Fit in the wintertime very very quickly.

Yes, that's worth pointing out.

I would be quitting out of frustration at that point. We are fortunate to have four cars in the family, so even if I turn my lease in early October as planned I would have a car to drive... however I like driving a "nice" car and I'm going to get tired of driving an 8 year old Honda Fit in the wintertime very very quickly.
I'm frustrated the price of a red LR RWD has gone up $1,700 since I've been waiting on non-PUP, which looks like it won't happen any time soon. I'm going to pull the trigger and order next week, regardless. Price will go down immediately after, I predict. :D

I'm frustrated the price of a red LR RWD has gone up $1,700 since I've been waiting on non-PUP, which looks like it won't happen any time soon. I'm going to pull the trigger and order next week, regardless. Price will go down immediately after, I predict. :D

I don't think prices will go down until Jan 1 2019 when Tesla will mysteriously decide to re-price certain options.... or after delivering a couple thousands token SR cars decide that nobody wants those and discontinue it.

I don't know if you've driven the current Model 3 but the glass roof is remarkable and, in my opinion, well worth the price of admission.

I didn't think it would be that big of a deal but, to my family, it really was.

I'm not upgrading to a P because I don't need/want the performance (DM appears to be as fast or slightly faster than my 340i which is already crazy fast) and I like keeping my money invested.

I set a budget for the "new cheap Tesla" when I put my $1,000 down of about $50,000. That was assumed based on Musk estimating he thought the average car, with options, would run around $45,000.

At $60,000 for my current build (Blue, DM, EAP) I am already way over budget and not willing to pony up another $10,000 to get my car a couple of months sooner.

If the end of the year gets into sight and I don't have a VIN, I will be cancelling my order since I won't be getting the tax credit. As much as I love the Tesla product, I am not going to wait forever. I will just lease another BMW for 3 more years and maybe by the time that lease is up Tesla will have this stuff figured out.

When the "flood gates" opened over a month ago and I was able to finally place my non-refundable deposit, I became excited I would have the car "soon". I did not expect it to turn into another extended wait like this.

Can you tell I'm frustrated?

I get that. But we are closer than ever now. I think there's a good chance you'll see it by October given just how many cars they are making and delivering now.

In my case my total build is 65k including blue paint. EAP can be added later but Performance cannot. At 65k (-7.5k tax credit) P3D Base model is an amazing $/perf value compared to the competitors. There's also a risk for folks getting AWD that could cost them more in the long run. As they get their fix and want more performance they might be tempted to trade up to a P3D. For +5k now you can eliminate that risk ;)

I get that. But we are closer than ever now. I think there's a good chance you'll see it by October given just how many cars they are making and delivering now.

In my case my total build is 65k including blue paint. EAP can be added later but Performance cannot. At 65k (-7.5k tax credit) P3D Base model is an amazing $/perf value compared to the competitors. There's also a risk for folks getting AWD that could cost them more in the long run. As they get their fix and want more performance they might be tempted to trade up to a P3D. For +5k now you can eliminate that risk ;)

I'm in the same boat. Should I change my AWD order to base P, and just add EAP later?

Congrats! That's awesome. Were you able to test drive the RWD before getting your AWD, and if so, can you tell any noticeable difference between 0-20 acceleration and overall feel/handling?
I hadn’t driven a Tesla till I took delivery of mine. I drove RWD after. Overall feeling of AWD is instant acceleration with no lag to me, feels amazing.