Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any AutoPilot competition from other manufacturers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my first Waymo ride yesterday. Really impressive. It was an eleven mile ride on surface streets and the technology operated flawlessly. There was a screen in the back seat that displayed the speed, time to destination, and traffic conditions - stop light status, lane status, other vehicles. Again, really impressive.

There was a safety driver/monitor that did nothing.

Overview: What Does the Future Hold for Self-Driving Cars? | The Motley Fool

Steve Wozniak, Apple co-founder and a person who was once bullish on the future of self-driving cars, believes that self-driving car technology is very far away from being good enough to implement at scale. And you might be surprised to hear that Waymo CEO John Krafcik has stated that autonomous vehicles will never be able to drive in all conditions.

• Informative
Reactions: diplomat33
I took my first Waymo ride yesterday. Really impressive. It was an eleven mile ride on surface streets and the technology operated flawlessly. There was a screen in the back seat that displayed the speed, time to destination, and traffic conditions - stop light status, lane status, other vehicles. Again, really impressive.

how does it compare to Tesla autopilot?

how does it compare to Tesla autopilot?
Hard to compare. While I've paid for the FSD, I haven't received the chip upgrade necessary and my X just doesn't have the capability (at least that is available to me) of the the Waymo van.

The Waymo was noticeably smoother than my X when it came to breaking. Turns were very smooth. The system recognized all signs and traffic lights - even left turn arrows.

Personally, I don't like the way the NoA on my X changes lanes in moderate and heavy traffic on the freeway. I think it's great in light traffic though.

Did you take some time observing the "driver"? Was he really paying attention to the road at all times or did he seem to tune out at times?

There surely is some threshold where baby-sitting a well-operating system becomes enjoyable as opposed to tedious/annoying. Based on this one ride, did you think Waymo are past that point?

Reactions: APotatoGod
Apparently Openpilot also doesn't disengage on steering input. Seems like a better system for when you don't want to drive less than a foot from a tractor trailer. I find it requires it a very steady hand to disengage Autosteer without jostling the car and then of course you have to reenable it.
We have a '19 RAV4 Hybrid with the new Toyota pieces --- (TSS2.0, I think). Sounds similar to PhantomX's description of the Honda system, in my experience. It does pretty well for long-distance, interstate-type driving. Limited to adaptive cruise control and 'lane-centering.' It does okay with those two tasks provided you're paying attention. The steering assist doesn't disengage when taking over for normal adjustments. It handles gradual curves pretty well, but not quick, sharper corners. I generally describe myself as less fatigued after a long trip vs. not using the system. I don't have any real experience with AutoPilot for a real comparison.

Did you take some time observing the "driver"? Was he really paying attention to the road at all times or did he seem to tune out at times?

There surely is some threshold where baby-sitting a well-operating system becomes enjoyable as opposed to tedious/annoying. Based on this one ride, did you think Waymo are past that point?
Waymo has a "driver fatigue monitoring" system in their vehicles. I don't think they allow any "tuning out". In my opinion the point where it becomes enjoyable is when you're a passenger and not a safety driver.

I did spend some of the ride watching the "driver". He seemed engaged most of the time I was watching him, but did spend a bit more time looking out the driver-side window than I think one might without the system.

It's difficult to say. Different people have different personalities and getting a read from the back seat can be difficult. The "driver" didn't seem interested in visiting with me at all. He wasn't rude by any stretch, but didn't really seem interested in furthering any attempts at conversation that I made. Much different than the vast majority of Lyft or Uber drivers I've encountered.

I did spend some of the ride watching the "driver". He seemed engaged most of the time I was watching him, but did spend a bit more time looking out the driver-side window than I think one might without the system.

It's difficult to say. Different people have different personalities and getting a read from the back seat can be difficult. The "driver" didn't seem interested in visiting with me at all. He wasn't rude by any stretch, but didn't really seem interested in furthering any attempts at conversation that I made. Much different than the vast majority of Lyft or Uber drivers I've encountered.

It was mentioned in a video that Waymo safety drivers are trained not converse with the passengers, probably to help ensure that they remain engaged on what the car is doing. So passengers can say "thank you" when they leave but other than that, they should not speak to the safety drivers.

For starters the competition needs to be an EV.

For the vast majority of buying an EV drive train takes precedence over an ADAS system.

After that the most important question is the charging infrastructure and that only leaves us with two choices. We either have to pick a Tesla for the Supercharger network or we to pick one that can take advantage of fast CCS charging at Electrify America spots. So that rules out any Nissan product at least for now.

So that really only leaves the E-Tron or the Porsche Taycan.

From what I've read so far it really comes down to personal preferences.

My own personal preference is just for TACC, and I only care about have a very smooth TACC. When I do use AP I prefer using NoA in the low traffic areas where the car automatically changes lanes to pass, and gets back over.

With Audi/Porsche I'd probably be pretty happy, but it wouldn't go beyond that.

With the Tesla I have the opportunity to experience something much better, but at the same time it might never satisfy me.

I will say TACC under V11 is much better. So it's almost smooth enough to satisfy base requirements.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I’ve driven an E-Tron. ACC is nice, there really wasn’t enough traffic to try “traffic jam assist”. Audi’s lane centering is OK. Sharp turns will cause it to drift out of the lane, or disengage. My Volvo’s Pilot Assist seems to work better, and works from 0-80mph, no matter the traffic. After spending some decent seat time in HW3 X, it was hard for me to come back to Volvo’s system. You really realize the shortcomings big time.

Thank you!

I'm quite interested in such aspects. It's clear-cut when either the human is driving or the machine is driving and the human is relieved of any duties. However, watching a system that is known to have a not-quite-acceptably-low probability of failure, knowing that the time to react will be very very short, can't be too much fun. I'm wondering how well these trained drivers/supervisors can overcome the natural human tendency to disconnect.

For the vast majority of buying an EV drive train takes precedence over an ADAS system.

You wouldn't think so, based on the comments 'round these parts.

My own personal preference is just for TACC, and I only care about have a very smooth TACC. When I do use AP I prefer using NoA in the low traffic areas where the car automatically changes lanes to pass, and gets back over.

With Audi/Porsche I'd probably be pretty happy, but it wouldn't go beyond that.

With the Tesla I have the opportunity to experience something much better, but at the same time it might never satisfy me.

I will say TACC under V11 is much better. So it's almost smooth enough to satisfy base requirements.

My most recent Tesla experience is about 6 months old at this point. I. m. o., the TACC in Teslas at that time, was a lot crummier than what I have in the eTron now. This is likely due to the Audi having the integrated LIDAR unit.

On anything but straight roads or gentle curves, the eTron's lane keep is pretty useless.

If you're a bit of a driver aid skeptic (like I am) and if you have the chance to test-drive an eTron, I'd be curious to hear how you think the two sets of driver aid systems compare.

The E-Tron‘s ADAS doesn’t come close to Tesla’s Autopilot.

Edit: I’m wondering what the E-Tron’s lidar actually does? I drove a “first edition” or whatever the loaded early E-Tron is called. It had night vision/thermal imaging and bounding boxes around things it picked up in the drivers display, but I’m unclear on how it incorporated LIDAR? The thermal cam was cool though.

Last edited:
Thank you!

I'm quite interested in such aspects. It's clear-cut when either the human is driving or the machine is driving and the human is relieved of any duties. However, watching a system that is known to have a not-quite-acceptably-low probability of failure, knowing that the time to react will be very very short, can't be too much fun. I'm wondering how well these trained drivers/supervisors can overcome the natural human tendency to disconnect.
My pleasure. I'm looking forward to my next ride in a Waymo (might be a few weeks out) and will share any pertinent info/opinions that come from it.

Simple lane keeping and TACC, every brand has something that 'works'. How well seems to be linked to the purchase price. The operational domain is typically much more restricted on competitors.

As a package for the extra stuff the AP/EAP does really well (lane changes, auto park, not hitting people that cut you off or merge into your lane) and does kinda OK (NoA, summon)...no one is on the same planet. And no one else is even talking about stop light, city NoA, Advanced autopark etc.

Overview: What Does the Future Hold for Self-Driving Cars? | The Motley Fool

Steve Wozniak, Apple co-founder and a person who was once bullish on the future of self-driving cars, believes that self-driving car technology is very far away from being good enough to implement at scale. And you might be surprised to hear that Waymo CEO John Krafcik has stated that autonomous vehicles will never be able to drive in all conditions.

To be fair, neither can humans. The difference is that computers are smart enough to know that they can't proceed, whereas the humans tend to say, "Hey, watch this!" :D

• Love
Reactions: Thp3